Elastic waist pants-love em or hate em?

sal 60 Hanzlik

I love them but haven't found any jeans with them. How about you?

SaveComment32Like
Comments (32)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kathyg_in_mi

I've been getting mine at Dillards, love them.

Save    
colleenoz

Love them, have worn them for decades 😁

Save    
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

Absolutely not. I don't feel like I am dressed wearing clothing with elastic bands.

1 Like Save    
Annegriet

I understand why people like them (my sister loves them) but I feel like they are too casual.

Save    
pekemom

Love them, wear them only.

Save    
pkpk23

Do not wear elastic waist pants- easier to keep weight under control when wearing regular waist pants. Too tight- cut back’

6 Likes Save    
amylou321

Not for regular clothes. By that I mean clothes I wear out of the house. If I am just laying around at home, I wear yoga pants or pajama pants and they all have elastic or stretchy waists. Jeans with elastic waists are NOT flattering to my figure....

1 Like Save    
bpath

I had a pair of elastic-waist jeans my aunt gave me. They were good for gardening. Some elastic waist is fine, if they are otherwise tailored, otherwise they are like sweats.

Save    
wildchild2x2

The only elastic waist pants I own are sweats, leggings and yoga pants that I wear at home. When I leave the house I wear jeans with a regular waist. I also own two pairs of elastic waist riding tights. One is fleece lined for winter (praying for beach rides) and one is an all season weight. I would buy breeches with a button and a zipper but I can't find any short enough. But most of the time I ride in jeans. I feel only half dressed with elastic waists.

Save    
Rose Pekelnicky

The last few years I have been wearing Jean's with an elastic waist. I have some from LLBean that fit me nice. A little pricey but I love them.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/86159?page=perfect-fit-pants-original-denim

1 Like Save    
ravencajun Zone 8b TX

I wear both randomly. I wear a lot of yoga pants and tights which are stretchy but I have a lot of pants that are not stretchy. It mostly depends on where I am going and what I will be doing.

2 Likes Save    
maifleur03

One of those things but I am one of those women whose waist started expanding and shrinking, up to 4 inches, during the day when I reached my late 40s. I could have worn dresses that were basically sacks that the cloth expanded downward from the neckline or pants with an expandable waist. I chose the elastic waist band. Alfred Dunner at that time made dress slacks for women with elastic waist bands which was what I normally wore.

1 Like Save    
buccos4vr

I’ve gotten them at Walmart, always wear elastic waist. Susanwv

2 Likes Save    
laceyvail 6A, WV

Elastic waist always for hang around the house clothes--all from the thrift store. Regular waist for going out of the house.

1 Like Save    
georgysmom2

Particularly during the pandemic, that's all I wear around the house. When going out, even just to pick up grocery order, I wear regular zip up, button up .

1 Like Save    
nicole___

Sweat pants. Athletic pants. Yoga pants. Pajama pants. Otherwise......no. ☺ My zip-off pants, for hiking, have a little bit at the waist. Not the whole waist.

Save    
nickel_kg

I had a couple pull-ons from Lands End that were nice enough for work. Now most of my pull on (elastic waist) pants are too casual for public viewing: flannel pjs, or sorta-ratty sweat pants. I'm looking at on-line sales this week and am tempted by yoga pants because they look so comfortable. I'd also need a long tunic top, because I'm too old to show my butt-profile in public, no one wants to see that!

2 Likes Save    
wednesday morning

It seems that so. many women wear pants that are so darned tight! They fit like leggings on so many women, and are so unlovely on most people.

I have, lately, noticed a few of the looser old school denims and pants being worn.

I don't even own a pair of "jeans" anymore. I can't make peace with those tight fitting styles with all the spandex in them. Not only is the spandex an uncomfortable fiber to wear next to the skin, it is worn so painfully close to the skin. Without a layer of air between the skin and the garment, there is no cooling in the hot weather and no warming in the cold weather. They are amongst the most useless non-functioning garments that we have endorsed as consumers.

I mostly sew my own pants and my favorite pattern has a flat, darted front and an elastic back. I simply could not imagine wearing a fixed waist anymore.

Unless you are of a slight figure, I don't see how any of these tight garments with a fixed waist can be anything that you want to actually wear. Most people that I see around me are anything but slight figured.

So many pants with a fixed waist and a good dose of spandex seem to shift and ride down in the front and hike up in the back. I used to watch my grandkids on the web cam when they were at day care. Those women were required to wear something similar to what Target employees wear----tan pants and thsirt. All of the time I saw those women on camera pulling up and adjusting their pants. There is such bad fit on so many people.

A looser fit would allow the pants to conform to the wearer and the activity. Life is too short to be uncomfortable.

You don't see this as much in mens pants, only among the young hipster set.

Men don't have the fashion atrocities that women suffer through. Now it they could just get that old notion of the suit to die. What a tired old and boring garment. Glad to see some men who are doing less formal shirts under the suit coat.

I don't think that most men are going to go for skin tight jeans and women should not either. Unless you just really like them. for whatever reason.

I have heard that soft pull on pants are the new norm for these times, for everyone.

2 Likes Save    
marilyn_c

I like them. Comfortable when I have a lot of bending and stretching to do. I have a pair of stretchy jeans with a wide elastic waist band. They are "skinny" jeans, which I normally don't like, but they have become my favorites.

1 Like Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

When I was looking forward to a 17 hour flights + layover a few years ago, I bought a pair of pull on jeans from Macy's that were styled like regular straight leg jeans (ie not tight/skinny), but stretchier. I wanted something that had a fair amount of give, but wouldn't get stretched out and looked more "finished" than yoga pants. The waistband was more substantial than often seen in elastic waists, and sat like a regular pair of pants, too. Style&Company brand, IIRC. They worked perfectly for the flights, and also for excursions that involved a lot of stair climbing and up & down walking. I still have them although they are too big just now - they were great for grocery store etc.

1 Like Save    
dedtired

I like some stretchy waistband pants. More and more are being made that do no give you the weirdly gathered waistline. I really like a slim leg pant from LL Bean and something similar from Talbots. They both look very trim. However, I would not wear them to work or anywhere not casual.

Talbots pants

1 Like Save    
always1stepbehind

I've always worn jeans with a zipper and a button. I had bought Jeggings with the wide elastic waistband...eh, never wore them...but once I started to "outgrow" some of my buttoned jeans I started wearing the jeggings...now I wish I had bought more. I can't find this particular brand...but ordered another brand online and will try those out.

1 Like Save    
stacey_mb

I have a couple of favorite jeans, one with spandex and one without. They both have fixed waistbands and I find it a bit tricky to find pants where the waist and "bottom" both fit properly. My "without spandex" jeans fit perfectly and I dread the task of shopping for more when these wear out. One pair of my dressy pants have a partial elastic waist and I love stretchy waist pants in leggings, sweatpants, pajamas, casual wear, etc.

1 Like Save    
amicus

I always assumed that 'skinny jeans' would feel uncomfortably binding or hot, because they do cling to one's body. But oddly enough, the small percentage of spandex blended into the the cotton, gives them a snug fit, but yet a comfy, weightless feeling, like wearing tights or leggings. I love these inexpensive pull on jeans from Old Navy. They are 97% cotton and 3% spandex, so they have a bit of give, which is very comfortable when bending your knees.

Worn tucked into riding boots or ankle boots, they look very nice. They don't have any tell tale elastic band at the waist, but the cotton/spandex blend allows them to stay put, just as though they did. It's a pleasure to wear stylish pants that don't require a button, belt or zipper, because my tunic sweaters (just long enough to cover my behind) lie perfectly flat over the pants, with no zipper or belt digging into my waist.

https://oldnavy.gapcanada.ca/browse/product.do?pid=287613003&vid=3&tid=ocpl000004&kwid=1&ap=7&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIvde_jcqe7QIVBfHACh1o3ACZEAQYFiABEgJy2fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#pdp-page-content

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

Love them and have to use them. I could never wear fitted slacks as my reaction to foods causes my waist to grow and shrink in a day.

1 Like Save    
bengardening

I wear both, all of my jeans are a little to big for me now. I was in JC Penneys one day looking through the clearance rack and found a pair of black jeggings for 4.99. They fit me really good and feel good too. The brand is Arizona. I was in a thrift store and found a pair of khaki pants I thought they should fit me so I paid 3.00 for them. They are Time and Tru from Walmart. They fit me really nice too. I also have one pair of jeans with a zipper and button that I wear that fit me the best of all of my jeans, I have one other pair of khakis and a couple of pairs of black jeans. That is it for going anyplace. I am retired and stay home a lot and I wear elastic waistband pants here. I don't have many clothes at all.

1 Like Save    
Lars

I love wearing them around the house, but I never wear them in public, except briefly in the front yard.

1 Like Save    
Anne

The Slimsations brand are comfortable and nice looking. I too get the menopause bloat throughout the day. I have their jeans and pants in a few colors and get compliments particularly on the dark wash jeans.

1 Like Save    
arkansas girl

If I'm going somewhere, I usually wear jeans. If I'm around the house, I wear my sweats or if I'm walking the dog, I have sweats for that too, nicer ones than the around the house ones. My dog walking sweats have cargo pockets, I love them. I can put necessities in them for walking. In the summer, I wear jean shorts out and cotton stretch shorts around the house. I also have cargo shorts for dog walking and dog park stuff.

1 Like Save    
Oakley

Zalco, you need to get a good pair of elastic pants & then decide, and of course you can't tuck shirts inside of them., but you can't tuck a shirt in them. :) I love a good elastic pant because I'm not restricted no matter what physical activity I do. I think those who don't like them haven't seen the newer ones. You can't even tell there's elastic in the waist. I have a nice pair of slacks that happens to have elastic which I had no idea until I tried them on.

I used to work in a bank and I hated going to the file room and having to squat while searching for a file. I was thin and my slacks fit great, but not great enough to squat. :)

1 Like Save    
chisue

"Elastic" and "pants"...I think this is where I came in...finding the KT years ago when Old Joyful was posting about replacing the elastic on his underwear. Never one to waste anything, our OJ!

Save    
lily316

I don't wear elastic pants but most of my around the house ones are yoga pants or athletic pants with drawstrings waists.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Life The Wisdom of Kenny Rogers, for Declutterers
No need to gamble on paring-down strategies when the country music legend has already dealt out some winning advice
Full Story
Color How to Use Marsala, Pantone’s 2015 Color of the Year
Pantone digs deep and goes earthy with its selection. Here are ways to make it work in your home
Full Story
Christmas 10 Quick Solutions for Last-Minute Holiday Problems
Sail right by potential decorating, hosting and gift-giving pitfalls with these invaluable nick-of-time tricks
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
As your leader in the home remodeling industry for 35 years, our job is to create meticulously designed, elegant... Read More