SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

In Praise of Overcooked Stew

plllog
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

It was supposed to be for dinner but after many interruptions, didn't start cooking, other than the browning of the beef, until dinnertime. I'm a night owl, so I figured it was no biggie and I set it to slow cook for six hours. Before that was up, I fell asleep doing a crossword puzzle! When I awoke, my farm delivery was here. I saw the stew was done and on keep warm, but by the time I had put away the produce, I forgot about it for another period of time, having gone back to the puzzle. When I finally did dish it up, it was way beyond "tender". And SUPER delicious. I just hope it firms up a bit in the fridge and so stays nice instead of turning into moosh.

It's a clear the roots drawer thing. 1 lb. stew beef browned and deglazed with port, 1 lb. yellow potatoes, 1 lb. sweet potatoes, 2 yellow onions, 6 fat orange nantes carrots, 2 orange centered purple carrots, 4 fat yellow carrots plus 2 thin ones, 1 small fennel bulb with the stems but only a little frond, 1 small can Ro-Tel, 1 small can tomato juice, a couple extra slugs of port. Cooked to death. The beef is pretty cooked out. The potatoes are still firm. Only a little of the sweet potato is falling apart. There's plenty of rich red broth. It's so good!

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH