SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

In praise of overcooked vegetables part two

plllog
8 years ago

My basic steam roasted chicken is made butterflied on a bed of onion slices and carrot segments, with whatever other vegetable I think needs cooking. Today it was a little cauliflower that I'd sort of forgotten. Some florets fell off whole, but I sliced the rest as if for steaks, and put it all on the outside of the pan rather than under the chicken. So, I usually put some kind of sauce or salad dressing on the chicken to help it crisp up ("suntan lotion"), as well as herbs and seasoning. i had a little covered dish of a really good vinaigrette I'd made too much of to throw away, so I thought I'd just use that. And there I am, blithely dabbing my brush in the dish and brushing the chicken, as if it were a prep bowl! Use it or lose it time, right? It's not like the chicken required much. So I rather liberally dripped it from the brush onto the cauliflower, too, to use most of it up before dumping the rest, and sprinkled the cauliflower with garlic pepper.

The cauliflower had to cook as long as the chicken, of course, but roasting it usually takes a long time anyway. There was plenty of liquid in the bottom from the onions and steam, and a bit of chicken juice. The result was very soft but not at all mushy, and really delicious! The dressing helped, but I think it was the onion/chicken/carrot water (think stock) that really put it over. It was SOOOO good! And I'm not really a fan of cauliflower in general.

Comments (11)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES