SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dingoaint

Green vegetable ideas for Thanksgiving?

Fori
14 years ago

Last Thanksgiving we did simple steamed broccoli for Thanksgiving and overcooked it. Whoops. So much for that idea.

What green veggies are on the Thanksgiving menu this year for you? Anything I can copy? :)

Oven space is limited but the grill and cooktop are open.

Thanks!

Comments (49)

• carmen_grower_2007
    14 years ago

Green bean casserole!! My family would get upset if I didn't have it.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Ditto the Green Bean Casserole. I also make the following:

Brussels Sprouts with Pancetta
    Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

Prep Time: 10 minutes Cook Time: 20 minutes
    Yield: 4 servings
    1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts, trimmed
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 ounces paper-thin slices pancetta, coarsely chopped
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    3/4 cup low-salt chicken broth

Partially cook the Brussels sprouts in a large pot of boiling salted water, about 4 minutes. Drain.
    Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until beginning to crisp, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and saute until pale golden, about 2 minutes. Add the Brussels sprouts to the same skillet and saute until heated through and beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the broth and simmer until the broth reduces just enough to coat the Brussels sprouts, about 3 minutes. Serve.

• Related Discussions

Green/Vegetative/Living Retaining walls

Q

Comments (1)
    If you want cost comparison of MATERIALS, contact each company and inquire. You might run into hurdles as these products are made for professional installation. Even after you get prices for the materials, it may not help you much because there are many other factors to consider in pricing a retaining wall. The labor involved is likely to be much higher than the material. A better strategy for using this forum might be to begin a thread which states your problem ... clearly shows your problem in pictures ... and asks for suggestion on how it might be handled, while considering any of your preferences.
    ...See More

Green vegetable bags

Q

Comments (19)
    I did side-by-side tests as well, and thought the bags worked better than a regular bag or plastic container - with the exception of a vacuum-sealed canister (FoodSaver) for fresh leaf lettuce from the garden. The FoodSaver worked best for leaf lettuce. Now I have green storage containers and they work just as great as the bags. One thing I did notice... If you store bananas in the green bags, leave them in there until you use them up. Once the banana/s are taken out of the bags they deteriorate VERY quickly. I took three bananas out to make banana bread one day, and before I got it made the formerly yellow bananas were completely black after an hour, and the bananas were very soft. Is this a "results may vary" moment??? -Grainlady
    ...See More

Vegetables for Thanksgiving?

Q

Comments (35)
    Ann, I did mean sweet potatoes. And yes, we love the white ones. They're a bit sweeter than regular orange or even yellow sweets. A nice fine texture too. If you take pieces of them that have been baked or boiled and fry them in a pan with just butter, the surface will caramelize as though they had sugar on them. We used to have to get them from a few farmers that we knew that grew them, but they've become more popular around here so many grocery stores here now carry them. Jude, we do them very simply. Depending on the size of your skillet, you melt between a half stick and a stick of butter in the cast iron. Then add about a cup and a half to two cups of brown sugar. Let the sugar melt and cook until it begins to foam up[on a pretty high heat], which is starting the caramelization. Then carefully put in the half or whole potatoes if they're small. Let them start to caramelize in the sugar on each side, turning as needed and spooning the caramel over. As the caramel starts to stick to them they're about done [probably about five minutes] I usually just find a place in the oven for them. As you can imagine this makes a pretty heavy duty caramel. You can add more butter and less sugar if you like a thinner caramel, but we only have them a couple times a year so we like them nice and sticky. Once in a while I have squeezed some orange juice into the mixture as the sugar is melting. That's a nice variation.
    ...See More

Looking for an easy but different green vegetable dish for Thanksgivin

Q

Comments (22)
    Peppi, after Kraft discontinued the roll cheese I experimented with cheddar, then pepper jack w/jalapenos, along with fresh jalapeno. Neither offered the same consistency. Thought about adding a little cream cheese, but never did. When I tried the Velveeta I thought it was fairly similar to the original. That said, give it a shot. You may be happy with the result. Linda, I no longer make stuffing or potatoes and gravy. I also only make SM once or twice a year. Mine has never been "goopy". Maybe that's because I use spinach squeezed dry.
    ...See More
  • lindac
    14 years ago

Lately we have been having roasted asparagus....just toss cleaned spears with a little EVOO and kosher salt and spread on a cookie sheet...and either pop them into a 420 oven for about 6 minutes...or you can put the pan on the grill....shake the pan and dress with a little lemon juice or toasted sesame oil.
    Very quick and not saucy or rich....which is a good thing with the gravy stuffing, mashed potatoes, rolls etc etc...
    Linda C

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I made these and everyone liked them.

Green Beans with onion
    Rachael Ray
    4 servings
    Â 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, eyeball it
    Â 1 tablespoon butter
    Â 1 small onion, chopped
    Â 1 cup chicken broth
     1 to 1 1/4 pounds trimmed green beans  many markets have trimmed raw beans in packages in the fresh produce department in 1 pound packages
    Â Salt

To a medium pan over medium heat add extra-virgin olive oil and butter and onion. Saute onion 3 minutes, add broth and bring to a boil. Add beans, season with salt and cover pan and simmer 8 minutes, until tender.

Comments said that the onions might take a little longer than 3 minutes and to take the lid off after 8 minutes to let the broth cook away. It took about 15 minutes when I made them.

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

Hope the rest of your dinner was delicious, Fori!

I LOVE Green bean casserole, but the mushroom soup thing with my kids ... Horrible Confession: I'd love to just eat that onion topping:)

That said, I usually cook/mix:

-fresh green beans
    -some bacon
    -little lemon juice
    -salt and pepper
    -sprinkle with feta or blue cheese or gorgonzola

It seems light enough to leave room for pie, and Yep, my kids snub green bean casserole, but will eat gorgonzola! Go figure.

Looking forward to hearing others' recipes.

Cathy in SWPA

• jessyf
    14 years ago

I think if you love GBC, there are tons of ways of making a white sauce without the shrooms, seasoned to your taste.

I love braised or roasted brussel sprouts with a touch of garlic and olive oil, but I know not everyone does. I too roast asparagus, drizzle w/balsamic vinegar, EVOO, herbs. And yes, I steam lots of plain veggies (broccoli, baby carrots, cauliflower) for the picky folks and kids) - just gotta watch the timing!

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

We use two from the old SL Home for The Holiday's magazines.

The first one for Brussel Sprouts can be done stove top, but I can't find it. Basically its:

Brussel sprouts, halved, then julienned. We cook a little bacon then saute the shredded sprouts in that with your choice of seasonings. When cooked thru, toss with the crubbled bacon and toasted pecans and it's ready. Very quick and easy.

The second is for the oven - another Green Bean Casserole

1 can cream of mushroom soup (we just make a white sauce)
    1 3oz pkg cream cheese
    3 9oz bags frozen french green beans (or fresh)
    1 jar mushrooms (or fresh)
    1 can sliced water chestnuts
    1 clove garlic minced
    2 tbls fine chopped shallots
    1/4 teas pepper
    1-1/2 c shredded cheddar
    1 2oz pkg sliced almonds, toasted
    (add a little salt to taste if you make your own cream sauce)

The recipe reads to combine soup and cream cheese in pan till blended, then mix everything but almonds. Put in casserole and bake at 375 degrees for 30 mins. Serves 8.

I'd saute the shallots and garlic, then add to cream sauce. Season it. Then toss the rest together with that.
    Much better than the standard green bean casserole with durkees onion rings.

Good luck with the menu!

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks! I guess GBC (new abbreviation of the day?) is pretty forgiving on the timing--maybe that's why it's so ubiquitous. I haven't had one in a long time (the time my father-in-law decided to make it just for the heck of it with canned beans doesn't count). I think I'll try one tonight!

I'm not sure many in my family will touch Brussels sprouts, but that may be because of the way my mom made them. It's certainly why I never tried making 'em. I just needed guidance. Something else I'll try this week.

(If I see good-looking asparagus, I'll buy it, but that goes without saying. Never grilled it before though!)

• jessyf
    14 years ago

fori, here is how I now do asparagus on the grill - my tools are a half sheet aluminum pan, and Reynolds Wrap Release non-stick aluminum foil. I tear off enough foil to cover the pan, wash the asparagus, drizzle with EVOO/balsamic, sprinkle with salt, pepper, herbs - and place the pan right on the grill grates. Yeah my pans look like carp but I call it 'loved', LOL.

I bow down and worship the person who invented Reynolds Wrap Release non-stick aluminum foil.

You could use the oven for roasted - our gas (grill) prices are very very low compared to electric (oven).

• Cathy_in_PA
    14 years ago

Thanks to Dirtgirl07 and Jessyf for the white sauce suggestion/substitution. Why didn't I think of that? And adding cream cheese -- well, what's not to like?

I was glad to see the brussel sprouts recipes, and may give them a try. I've never made them because they seem to evoke pretty strong reactions. Honest ... I may have tasted one as child, but because, like fori, I think I remember them smelling? or something I never consider them.

Jessyf -- great idea using your grill for roasting. We too pay some high electric. What a great excuse to go outside and get away from the madness a bit:)

Thanks!

Cathy in SWPA

• lindac
    14 years ago

Yeahbut...if you are like my house...the ovens are full of other stuff. That's why the grill is a good option.
    And if you have someone who will stand at the grill and turn it for a glass of wine....that's a GOOD thing!
    Linda C

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The grill is good! I only have one oven plus a toaster oven. But the grill is always available. :)

About how long does it take for asparagus?

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

I roast brussels sprouts and asparagus in my toaster oven most of the time. You have to keep an eye on it because it seems to cook faster.

I've done sauteed kale with garlic and pancetta before. I don't really use a recipe for it.

Cathy, I detest the GBC, but I would eat what you posted in a heartbeat. Green beans with lemon, bacon, and feta sounds delicious! In fact, I think I may make that for dinner tongith.

• margay
    14 years ago

We always have a Broccoli Rice Casserole. I have already made it and it is in the freezer.
    1 stick oleo
    1 onion chopped
    1 cup chopped celery
    2 pkg. chopped broccoli
    1 can crm. chicken soup
    1 can crm. mushroom soup
    2 cups cooked rice
    8 oz. cheez whiz

Melt oleo in large pan. Add onion, and celery. Cook about 3 minutes and add soups, rice and broccoli. Stir and
    cook a few minutes then add cheez whiz. Pour into a 9x13" glass baking dish sprayed with Pam and bake 30 minutes
    @ 350 degrees.

That is the OLD original recipe when broccoli came in 10 oz. boxes. I also now use Velveeta cheese diced up and cook until the cheese melts before pouring into the casserole dish. Add a little milk to thin it out a little.

This is can easily be adjusted with more broccoli, rice, or cheese the meet your own personal likes.

• jessyf
    14 years ago

Oooooh Margay that recipe brings back memories.

fori: asparagus takes as long or as short as you want. I would start checking it when it starts steaming - take it off the heat when you feel it is done. The longer you let it sit, the more concentrated the flavors become and the stalks start shriveling. Its a personal thing.

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

My guys will eat almost any veg roasted..

So for "green" veggies..I roast broccoli, green beans, aspargas.. EVOO, S&P...hot oven...little sprinkle of Parm when they come out..

We have "fried" cabbage too...steam the cabbage in a bit of water with a lid..(just a bit) then when it's just about tender, pull the lid off and let the water simmer out..toss in a big knob of butter, bacon grease or a few good spins of EVOO..S&P and let it start to "brown" some of it...I've found lately that some leeks thinly sliced or onion really flavors the cabbage.

• epiccycle
    14 years ago

Never met a Brussels sprout I didn't like :-) I usually steam them with just a little salt and pepper, maybe butter if I'm feeling luxurious. And they're so easy to dress up for company with raisins, craisins, apples, bacon, ham, onions, pecans, cashews, balsamic vinegar, whatever sounds good. I've also made them with a sharp and creamy mustard sauce, but I think that's too rich for Thanksgiving with all the other too-rich food. They would be so easy to roast on the grill too!

Here, asparagus goes directly on the grill, perpendicular to the grates of course. I use long tongs and a wide spatula to maneuver them. Leave just long enough to blacken a bit and toss with olive oil, salt and pepper. Watch out though, they cook fast!

There would be at least one long face if GBC didn't make the cut for Thanksgiving, but I think I'll try a more interesting alternative this year, like Sara Moulton's version below. Has anyone made this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Bean Casserole Moderne

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

We just had a "mini" Thanksgiving dinner today and since I'll be making the traditional one on "The Day", I did a ham dinner today.

Made my own version of GBC and it got rave reviews!

2 quarts of home canned green beans (or equivalent)
    1 can fat free Cream of Mushroom soup
    1 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 cup sweet yellow onion, diced
    1/2 cup sweet red pepper, dice
    2 small cans mushrooms
    1/4 cup bacon bits (or real bacon, but I'm keepin' it light)
    1/2 cup saltine cracker crumbs
    2 T. butter (or substitute, I used I Can't Believe it's Not Butter)

Saute onion and pepper just until soft.
    Combine with soup, sour cream, mushrooms and bacon bits
    Add beans and mix gently to combine.
    Place in greased casserole dish.

Bake covered at 350 degrees about 30-45 minutes.
    Melt butter, drizzle over cracker crumbs.
    Uncover and add crumbs to top.
    Bake an additional 15 minutes, uncovered, to brown the crumbs.

Yum! The peppers just added a little something extra!

I often make Broccoli Salad for Thanksgiving because it can be made ahead and requires NO heat! Don't rule out cold green veggie sides like veggie trays. Pickle dishes. Spinach, chard or broccoli can be nuked too to save on oven time!

Deanna (sittin' here at 10pm, still stuffed, we ate at 3pm)

• susytwo
    14 years ago

Spinach brownies! They went over really well at our Thanksgiving last year.

• eileenlaunonen
    14 years ago

Making Roasted Creamed Brussel Sprouts & Broccoli w/Cheese Sauce

• sheshebop
    14 years ago

I also traditionally serve the spinach brownies. Not that healthy loaded with cheese as they are, but all my family loves them, and they are very easty to make.

• gellchom
    14 years ago

I like roasted Brussels sprouts; it's a nice fall vegetable (asparagus at Passover, sprouts for Thanksgiving). Toss with olive oil and kosher salt (and any other spices you are in the mood for; cumin and cayenne are good) and roast in oven at 400 (or any temperature if you are baking something else; just adjust time); toss once or twice.

I make these all the time (pretty much the way I cook most vegetables these days), and it's a good choice for Thanksgiving, because they don't have to be served hot.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

This is a good one from the River Road Recipes cookbook that Karen gave me in a swap.

David

Spinach Madeleine

2 packages frozen chopped spinach

4 tablespoons butter

2 tablespoons flour

2 tablespoons chopped onion

1/2 cup evaporated milk

1/2 cup vegetable liquor

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3/4 teaspoon celery salt

3/4 teaspoon garlic salt

Salt to taste

6 ounce roll of jalapeno cheese

1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

Red pepper to taste

Cook spinach according to directions on package. Drain and reserve liquor. Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add flour, stirring until blended and smooth, but not brown. Add onion and cook until soft but not brown. Add liquid slowly, stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Cook until smooth and thick, continue stirring. Add seasonings and cheese which has been cut into small pieces. Stir until melted. Combine with cooked spinach. This may be served immediately or put into a casserole and topped with buttered bread crumbs. The flavor is improved if the latter is done and kept in the refrigerator overnight. This may also be frozen. Serves 5 to 6. So different.

Mrs. William G. Reymond

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

David (or anyone) - What is vegetable liquor?

I wonder why so many holiday vegetable dishes have milk/cream in them? I saw a magazine the other day that listed ten or so vegetable side ideas for the holidays, and nearly ALL of them had milk in them. I must be the only person in the country who doesn't like milk in my veggies and doesn't love cheese on everything. :(

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I love cheese on everything! But I think having one menu item that isn't a heart attack night be nice.

I think vegetable liquor would be like "pot liquor", the green water after cooking veggies? Any southerners care to confirm?

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I AM going to have to try these, even if they don't make Thanksgiving...thanks for all the recipes and suggestions.

(The spinach sounds really good, but my mom can't handle spicy, so it'll have to wait. Or come earlier.)

• blueiris24
    14 years ago

Another brussel sprout lover here... roasted as mentioned above they are great - also sometimes add toasted pecans to them -- another way is to drip with olive oil, kosher salt, bake around 400 for 20 minutes -NUM.

• magic_arizona
    14 years ago

I make the GBC using a good jarred alfredo sauce in place of the canned soup. It makes the final dish low in carbs and you can't tell the difference in taste.

This broccoli dish is delicious and will be on my table. I use 1/2 broccoli and 1/2 cauliflower.

Here is a link that might be useful: Broccoli Gratin

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Fori - Know something funny? I AM southern! LOL!
    Must be the fancy spelling for "pot likker". :)

• jaymo49
    14 years ago

I like either steamed snap peas or else baby peas cooked with baby white onions. You could probably add some mushrooms if you wanted to dress them up. I agree about not having everything be so heavy. They're not green, but we also always have carrots and white turnips cooked and mashed together.

• cookingrvc
    14 years ago

We love roasted green beans or sugar snap peas. The entire flavor profile of the green bean changes with roasting.

I put them on a cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. When they're done, I sprinkle them with Kosher salt.

Another favorite is a mix of veggies. Brussel sprouts, beets, garlic cloves, onions, sweet potatoes...all dressed with chopped rosemary, olive oil, and a pinch of sugar. Roasted for 30 minutes or so.

You can add asparagus or other veggie too. Delicious.

Sue

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Yes, it is the water from the cooked spinach. Also, I think that cheese(product) was made by Kraft and is no longer available. I used some kind of pepper jack cheese if I remember right. It's been a couple of years since I made it.....time to do again.

David

• carrie2
    14 years ago

This is Alton Brown's recipe for dry fried okra. I like it any time, but also for Thanksgiving.

Dry Fried Okra

1 pound okra, stems removed
    1/2 cup cornmeal
    Vegetable oil
    Kosher salt
    Rinse the whole okra pods under cold water, drain, pat dry, trim and cut into 1/4-inch pieces. Set aside.
    Place the cornmeal into a sealable ziptop bag. Add the okra and shake to coat thoroughly. Return the okra to a dry colander and shake off excess cornmeal.
    Add enough vegetable oil to a 12-inch stainless steel saute pan in order to completely cover the bottom of the pan. Place over medium-high heat and bring the oil to 370 degrees F. Add the okra and fry until golden brown on 1 side, approximately 5 to 6 minutes. Stirring occasionally, continue cooking until okra is golden brown on all sides, approximately 5 to 6 minutes longer. Remove the okra from the pan with a slotted spoon or spatula to a cooling rack set over a newspaper-lined sheet pan. Season

• cloudy_christine
    14 years ago

Years ago at huge Thanksgiving gathering of DH's family, I saw his cousin nagging her teenage son to eat some green vegetables. I had an epiphany. There is no need for a green vegetable at Thanksgiving. You're almost certainly eating yams or pumpkin pie or both, so you've got your colorful veggies. And I, for one, need every bit of space in my stomach for the delights of the day, turkey and gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, corn, and pumpkin pie.

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

We always have green beans (for those who don't like the casserole) and GB casserole -- which I make with cream of chicken soup instead of mushroom -- and we also always have a broccoli casserole. Here's the recipe I use:

INGREDIENTS:

32 ounces broccoli florets, steamed

1 whole sweet onion, chopped (or 1/2 "hot" onion, chopped) -- sauteed in 2 T. butter

1 can cream of chicken soup (again, I prefer it to c/o mushroom soup, especially with broccoli)

1 cup mayo

2 cups grated cheese (we like extra-sharp cheddar in this; any variety can be used)

seasonings: 1 tsp. garlic powder and 1 tsp. black or white pepper

1 sleeve Ritz crackers (any similar cracker will do)

1/2 stick melted butter

DIRECTIONS:

While broccoli is steaming, saute' chopped onion in 2 T. butter.

Stir sauteed onion into steamed broccoli. Stir in soup and mayo. Add seasonings. Fold in grated cheese.

Pour into a greased (I use cooking spray instead) 9" x 12" casserole dish.

Crush the crackers and cover the casserole with them. Melt the butter and drizzle it over the crackers.

Bake at 350 Fahrenheit for 35-45 minutes.

This is rich (and utterly delicious to us). We only eat broccoli casserole on holidays!

• mara_2008
    14 years ago

I should have known better than to type that w/o my recipe at hand. The recipe also calls for two eggs, beaten. I add them after the soup and mayo.

• pat_t
    14 years ago

I'll be adding this one to our menu:

BROCCOLI SOUFFLÃ

3 bunches broccoli (3 cups pureed)
    3 oz. lemon juice
    4 oz. butter
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    Salt & cayenne TT
    2 cups milk
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    3 tsp. dry mustard
    7 eggs, separated (save whites to use)

Butter a large casserole dish. Preheat oven to 400° F.

Boil broccoli in water with lemon juice added. Strain and puree in food processor.

In saucepan, melt butter. Off the heat, add flour, salt, and cayenne. Blend well and stir in milk. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Add grated Parmesan, dry mustard, egg yolks, and pureed broccoli. Stir for 2-3 minutes over low heat until well blended.

In mixer bowl, beat egg whites to soft peaks. Fold into broccoli mixture and pour into buttered hotel pans. Bake for 30-40 minutes until puffed and browned. Serve immediately.

• kframe19
    14 years ago

How about creamed baby lima beans?

One of my favorites, and simple.

And just because it's a green vegetable doesn't necessarily mean that it has to be healthy. :-)

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

MMM all good.

And limas. We always had limas at holiday dinners growing up. My grandfather was a lima bean farmer! They are sort of starchy so I guess I didn't even think of them as a "green" vegetable, but to paraphrase the very wise Christine, so what? I love limas!

There will be no yams/sweet potatoes. I just can't stand 'em, and I've tried them every way. But I do agree pumpkin pie is a vegetable. :)

I want to avoid having a green salad which some relatives feel is required at every dinner. I don't hate it, and someone else would bring it, but I want to be able to have everything on the table and because everyone takes salad differently, it almost requires a salad bar. I'd have to do a buffet.

It's all very silly. But I'm sure liking these recipes!

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Well if it doesn't have to be healthy......

Then I recommend a broccoli Cauliflower gratin. This is a recipe from the fuzzy little ewok (I still call him that after all these years!) but you certainly do not need "essence" to make it wonderful.

Broccoli and Cauliflower Au Gratin
    by Emeril Lagasse
    .Prep Time:30 minInactive Prep Time:hr minCook Time:55 minLevel:
    IntermediateServes:
    6 to 8 servings.Ingredients
    Â1 stick plus 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
    Â3 pounds cauliflower, trimmed and cut into large florets
    Â1 1/2 pounds broccoli, trimmed and cut into large florets
    Â2 teaspoons salt, plus more as needed
    Â1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    Â6 cups whole milk
    Â1/4 teaspoon cayenne
    Â8 ounces grated cheddar cheese, about 3 cups
    Â1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
    Â2 teaspoons Essence, recipe follows
    Â1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    Directions
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Grease a 3-quart casserole dish with 2 teaspoons of butter and set aside.

Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add the cauliflower and cook until tender but still firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well.

Return the water to a boil, add the broccoli and cook until tender but still firm, about 5 minutes. Drain in a colander, refresh under cold running water, and drain again.

Place the cauliflower in the prepared pan and top with the broccoli.

In a medium heavy saucepan, melt the remaining stick of butter over medium heat. Stir in the flour, whisking constantly over medium heat until thickened into a blond roux, about 4 minutes. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons salt and the cayenne, stir, and gradually add the cold milk, whisking constantly until the mixture thickens, about 4 minutes. Bring to a simmer and add the cheese, whisking constantly until the cheese is melted. Remove from the heat.

Pour the cheese sauce over the vegetables, gently rapping the casserole dish on the counter top to dispel air bubbles.

In a bowl, mix together the bread crumbs, oil, and Essence and evenly distribute over the top of the vegetables. Bake until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Serve hot.

• lowspark
    14 years ago

Since I never actually cook for TG (we are always invited to either my sister's house or a friend's) I opened this up only to see if there was a GBC discussion! LOL

But I do have one question. All of you who make Brussels Sprouts, do you buy fresh or frozen?

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good question on the sprouts--I saw some in the grocery and they looked a little mangy.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

I buy them fresh - my local farmers market has some beauties right now. Not sure they are locally grown, but they are really nice.

Alexa

• eandhl
    14 years ago

One way I do Brussel sprouts, especially if the oven is in use. Steam them till done, drain good, melt some butter in the pan, return the sprouts, add some walnuts or pecans and a little maple syrup. Stir around till BS are coated & all is warm through.

• dirtgirl07
    14 years ago

Buy them fresh - frozen are usually real bitter. We got luck lately (GA's season) and managed to grab some that came in on the stalk. Getting that stalk home is something else, but well worth it!

Glad so many brought up the butter beans (baby lima's). That's a great idea.

• Fori
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would disrespect the memory of my grandpa if I didn't say "baby limas bad. Fordhook limas good".

I don't know why, except for the obvious Grandpa grew Fordhooks. :)

• kframe19
    14 years ago

I like my Brussel Sprouts cut in half, oven roasted, and then drizzled with a hot bacon dressing.

• beanthere_dunthat
    14 years ago

Fresh sprouts here. I don't like the flavor/texture of the frozen.

• epiccycle
    14 years ago

Butter or lima beans were almost always on the table when I grew up. My aunt makes them with dumplings and country ham, fantastic!

The other green vegetable staple in that rural part of Va. would have to be turnip greens, also seasoned with ham. Who wouldn't love to see a huge bowl of greens on the Thanksgiving table? Well okay, probably a lot of people, but not me!