SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
b_cz10

Anne Boleyn rose

Bc _zone10b
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Anyone grow this rose? Curious since I can't find much info on it on HMF or forums, but the coloration looks like she has really nice color shifts. I found a post on here from a few years ago, anyone have updates on growth habit and rebloom/disease?

Comments (76)

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Lots of white on outer petals

Bee friendly

Has a button eye

The fragrance is mild to moderate depending on the weather and humidity I believe. Anne doesn't make a great cut flower but she's a very charming rose that I look forward to seeing in the garden when it blooms which is at least 3-4 flushes every rose season.

Ann

Bc _zone10b thanked Ann9BNCalif
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Your Anne is outstanding, Ann (lots of Anns here). And seeing your great photos make me want to try this rose, but the photos by others on HMF have been less than inspiring for me. This often happens, I think, because our forum members are such outstanding rose gardeners.

B, Boscobel is either a warm medium pink, or tends toward salmony hints at various times. Here are a couple more photos. Diane

• Related Discussions

Prairie Harvest, Blanc Double, Mary Rose, Anne Boleyn, others

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks all! I have a love/hate thing with the peonies--only love them for a few weeks, then rest of the summer not so much. Good thing they don't need me at all--they just do their thing and I do mine and we are two ships passing in the night, pretty much, until it's time to mow them. Don't know the names of them, they may have been at my house for 100 years or more, for all I know. I really like Mary Rose, wish she were more fragrant though.
    ...See More

I need your opinion (warning: futile and trivial matter)

Q

Comments (11)
    Sandraville1, You've gotten excellent advice from knowledgeable gardeners. May I second the raves about Rozanne. If I could only grow one geranium it would be Rozanne. Please consider the salvia May Night. It is as dependable as any perennial can be. Here's what makes May Night so good: great winter hardiness, wind proof, does not sprawl with nice orderly growth habit (14" X14"), and one of the few perennials that pushes up fresh basal growth all season long, along with new lateral growth on earlier growth, if dead headeded and watered/fertilized faithfully. May Night is great along with Rozanne in front of roses, hiding the roses's naked knees, which is a big part of the function of your perennials in front of your roses. The color scheme you may find most harmonious in your perennial selections are: blues, purples, pinks, and whites. These colors will add class, coolness, and elegance to the bed, complementing the roses, the focus plants. I would avoid: reds, oranges, and yellows. These colors will create activity, heat up the bed (visually), and draw the eye away from the main subject, the roses. IMHO, you cannot have enough white perennials. They create an atmosphere of refinement and clarity no other color does. Here are my white flowered perennial recommendations, all top growers, and short in stature for the front of your roses: Salvia 'Snow Hill' - does sprawl, but sends out new basal growth all summer Campanula 'White Chips' Coreopsis alpina 'alba' Centranthus river 'alba' Anthemis 'Susannah Mitchell' Phlox paniculata 'Flame Blue' - strange name for a palest blue, almost white flower Chrysanthemum superbum: 'Tinkerbelle' 8", 'Lacrosse' 12", and 'Snowcap' 14".
    ...See More

...the end of May garden plus rant...

Q

Comments (31)
    Marlorena that must have been really frustrating since Kew Gardens is one of your favorite roses. I can completely relate to not having it planned or a proper spot for it. That alone must have made the mix up even worse. If they just sent the wrong roses and it was a rose you detested I don't think it would have been quite as awful to get rid of it. How irritating that must have been! Your garden is a such a delight though. The mixture of colors and companions with your Herbalist rose are just perfect. The creamy white, pink and lilac is so charming in your photo of Mme. Lauriol de Barny and Desdemona. I also really like the mixture of textures in your fourth photo, even with the empty spot you referred to. Your garden gives us a little glimpse into your character and the way you view life... it's artistic, beautiful and fluid. There's a special harmony to your garden that I find inspiring and I just love seeing photos of it. :-)
    ...See More

Your most fragrant roses today

Q

Comments (37)
    A few more: Fragrant Cloud - more orange than the photo shows. I SO love this rose. The fragrance is strong, and a little odd - took some getting used to. But I love it now, and I'm nuts over this rose. Bella'roma: - this rose is hard to photograph, and she's not a fast repeat bloomer. But her fragrance is hands down, one of my favorites in my garden. Every bloom she gives me is a gift. Young Lycidas - Lisa, he does WONDERFULLY in dry heat! Neptune: A newer rose for me, and this bloom round is one of the most fragrant I've had from her. Lovely fragrance! More of Stainless Steel. I am in awe of the bloom form of this rose (and fragrance too!) Chrysler Imperial - one bloom at a time right now, but each blooms smells like heaven. Tiffany - I threatened her, and she gave me a super fragrant bloom Ok, so my Dusty isn't really fragrant (smells like old ranch dog). But she IS next to a bloom of Fragrant Cloud, and is my best garden companion.
    ...See More
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Bc _zone10b thanked Diane Brakefield
  • Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Thank you Diane! I'm a "B" gardener living in an A+ climate. I wish my Boscobel looked as good as yours!

It's taken me several years but my Alnwick Rose is finally coming around. Here it is a bit darker than typical due to cool weather.

It's usually this color.

Hope you have a great Thanksgiving!

Ann

• Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    3 years ago

I think that Alnwick is glorious

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Ann9BNCalif

Ann, thanks so much for the beautiful photos and info on Anne Boleyn! Congratulations on that photo for the Rose Calendar too, it's beautiful. I love the way you caught all the subtle pink color tones in the rose, that is what attracted me to her. Kind of a combination of cool and warm pinks that create a nice glow effect.

She kind of looks like she could be the child of Olivia Austin + Carding Mill with her various color tones. Beautiful! I'll have to find a spot to try her. Even if she stays small, her colors look nice enough to try her.

Those Alnwick pictures are so beautiful too! That one caught my eye because of those deep, rich purpley pinks with the orangey centers. I read that she grows mostly upright though, how does she grow for you? Any chance she forms a roundish shrub, or is it straight vertical upward?

@Diane Brakefield Diane, thanks for the Boscobel pictures, very helpful for me to understand her colors. I have her placed in line next to Jubilee Celebration....but now I'm thinking they might be too close in coral/salmon tones...maybe I'll try princess alexandra of kent instead. The space is between Mary Rose and Jubilee Celebration, so maybe something a little less warmer than Boscobel. I'll have to re-look at what would work between those two.

• Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

You're welcome! Sorry it took awhile to reply.

Alnwick has been a very upright rose for me so far. I like shrubs that are upright because they don't take up as much room.

Ann

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Aiyeee, PAoK,my nemesis, the huge thug. But I'm sure yours will be fine. This rose gets big. I don't think yours will change color to bright coral in hot summer, because I'll bet your summers are quite nice and not bone dry like ours. The last photo is my famous stump, which I'm sure you've seen. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh wow, giant roots! Did you rip her out because she got too big? Please send any giant roses here....I have a lot of space to fill in the yard now that I cleared so much out :)

I like her colors....seem a little deeper than Boscobel? Or are they about the same? Maybe Princess Anne would work as a blend between Mary Rose raspberry lilac and Jubilee Cel. warmer pinks then. I couldn't really tell the difference between Anne and A of Kent to be honest. My brain is turning to rose mush, trying to figure all their colors and feedback out though hah, so I'm sure they're a bit different somehow. Thank you for the pics! Still a beautiful sight even if she ended up not working in the end, appreciate seeing them.

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Ann - I'm still so proud of you for having a picture on the COVER of the ARS rose calendar!!! And, man, do you deserve that honor...the picture is exquisite!!! Unfortunately, I'd already bought a new calendar before I heard of your selection. That picture.....really...a work of art!! Wouldn't it be a great needlework project? I love the picture right below the bee picture!!! Stunning!! Oh, and I love your The Alnwick Rose shots...that cooler weather color is jaw dropping!! You are such a fabulous photographer...and an A+ rose grower!!

Diane - your first pic in your 2nd set of pics....wow!!!! The texture on the petals...amazing!!! I know why you ripped out PAOK...but good grief, woman!!! What stunning, uber-beautiful blooms!!! :)

Bc _zone10b thanked rosecanadian
  • Ann9BNCalif
    3 years ago

Carol - Thank you! I really appreciate your kind words!

Ann

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

Carol, is a very kind person to all of us, Ann. We appreciate her, and her generosity of spirit.

B, I took out PAoK for several reasons. I just couldn't keep her reined in; she turned an awful coral color in summer, blooms were smaller, and had fewer petals; in summer, her rebloom wasn't good, either. Boscobel had her beat on all counts. I do think PAoK was a little darker than Boscobel. And I wish I could mail a few of these oversize roses to you. They are so darn hard to remove, too. Diane

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Oh, Diane and Ann - thank you!!!! Everyone is like that here. :) :)

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Ah ok, thanks for the info on PAoK. It seems people have mixed feelings on her so I might try just one of her somewhere else....see how she does and go from there. I'm more interested in rebloomers and health/size. So I'd rather have Boscobel even if the form of PAoK is nice in the flower. For now I'll wait and see how the Boscobel's do. I've seen some youtuve vids of the plants and they seem healthy with beautiful flower colors I know I'd like. Excited to see them in person

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

B, boy, am I going to feel guilty if your PAoK turns out to be brain exploding beautiful, and your Boscobel a dud. I'll have to leave the forum. We are just offering opinions, which can be strong, but you are the decider, and you know what your climate and soil are like first hand. I hope your wonderful plans all work out, but even if some don't, you can show the turkeys the door, and get new roses. There is only one rose that has truly satisfied me, and that is Augusta Luise. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Thanks for that amazing photo! It looks like an underwater creature, I love that rose. Need to try to get her next year. This year I had no idea what ordering on that site was like and logged on later in the day, looked around confused at "sold out" across every page and closed the window hah. It looks so interesting and swirly like a nouveau version of a rose. I'm not too worried about Boscobel vs PAoK. Still haven't ordered PAoK but kept the Boscobels. They were my original plan, since I thought their redder/orange tones would look nice against the Carding Mill and Abe Darby below them. Then their pinks could go with Jubilee and Mary Rose on either side. We'll see...hopefully each rose can still have some definition color-wise and stand out but also blend nicely. Will be interesting to see how it works out.

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

B, it will be interesting, and I think it will be beautiful. I have much confidence in your artistic eye, and the great care you are giving your roses. I did follow your link, and Instagram let me see a few things before they cut me off. I loved your art and especially your photos, and wish I could have seen it all. You can make art with your roses, too, which you're already doing. I could show you dozens of pics of Augusta Luise, and they all would be wonderful (sorry for the bragging). She never takes a bad pic, and her lovely colors change constantly. I think she looks good with the deep purple of Twilight Zone on one side of her and some of Golden Celebration hanging into her space on the other side. She's a big girl, 7X7 feet. I hope I'm not repeating myself. I've posted a lot of her pics, and I forget where I've done this. Back to Instagram--I boycott anything that Zuckerberg owns, so I get shut out of seeing some good stuff. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow. I just pulled a pumpkin pie from the oven. Yum. Here's Augusta again--hope you haven't seen this before. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    3 years ago

• Bc _zone10b
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@Diane Brakefield Diane, thank you for the inspiration with that pic. The formations in Augusta are so beautiful and highlighted so well with the color shifts. It's so swirly and unreal. It has so much movement and animation to it's petals. Next year I'll wake up even earlier to try ordering her.

Thanks for the kind words on my photos and art. I've never taken a photography class but some day I want to learn how to use a real camera. I just really enjoy finding light/color and space. My friend's always comment that my phone is filled with the strangest pictures. I just take photos of anything when I see light and color doing beautiful things. The only photo "work" I've made has been with my favorite plants. I don't live far from the Chelsea flower district, so I would go over a lot to collect cuttings of big tropical plants or other odd flowers I'd find. The guys at the stores got to know me and were really nice letting me have whatever they were about to toss. My favorites are protea, gingers (especially torch gingers), bromeliads, and my passionflowers :) I also love eucalyptus flowers....they look like actual sea anemones. Next summer I'm going to put together some little setups for the roses and take pictures of them.

Here are some of those photos I made if you want to see (without instagram). I agree with you re: Instagram. I wish it was never bought. I use it mostly for work now but ugh.

Have a great Thanksgiving. Pumpkin pie is my favorite. Apple comes close second, especially with extra cinnamon....but I usually can't decide and end up with a plate of both ;)

My photo works

• rosecanadian
    3 years ago

Diane - LOL - about PAOK and Boscobel. :) :)

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! That bloom of Augusta Luise - SCRUMPTIOUS!!!! I can't believe how amazing you can grow roses!!! And your last picture - crazy beautiful!!! The purple brings out the purples in Augusta!! Mind blowing! KABOOM! :)

• crow465z8b
    last year

@Diane Brakefield Hello Diane - I am absolutely swooning over your Augusta Luise! Do you know if that rose is still available for purchase and where I might look to purchase her online? Your photos are exquisite, I want to copy everything you have shown! Thank you so much!

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Thank you so much, crow. Augusta Luise is sold by Palatine roses in Canada. I got mine years ago from Hortico Roses, also in Canada. They are grafted on multiflora rootstock. Diane

• crow465z8b
    last year

@Diane Brakefield Ohhh, thank you so very much for sharing that with me. I will try my best to get some from Palatine. I am in 8B, Washington but near Portland, OR and if I can grow roses half as gorgeous as yours I will be overjoyed. What do you feed your roses? I want to copy some of your color combos as they are thrilling to me! I am so happy to find this forum and read all of the informative posts and see the wonderful photos rose lovers post. Seeing yours sent me in a bit of a different direction than I was planning, so I am very grateful to you for inspiring me! Thanks again. Carol (nickname Crow).

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Crow, I'm sure you can grow some really lovely roses in the area where you garden. Western Oregon is like a second home to me, and I was born in Vancouver. Thanks for all the nice comments on my roses, and I'm glad you could join us on the Forum. I use a good organic compost once a year on my roses in late October-early November. It's bagged and called "Nu Life Organic Compost". It's available regionally, and you might find it in your area. I buy mine from a small local chain of farm and ranch stores. In late February, I fertilize the roses and some other plants with one of the Tones--usually Plant Tone organic fertilizer. I buy it on Amazon and search for the best price and no shipping charges, which can change constantly. Rose Tone is good, but often costs more and works the same as Plant Tone or Holly Tone. In early March, I feed the roses Lilly Miller Organic granular fertilizer for acid loving plants. Our soil is alkaline in this semi arid desert, so I think a boost of more acid ingredients works well, but in your area, your soil is probably more acid, so just regular granular fertilizer would work just fine. I know you'll have much success growing roses where you live. Diane

• KittyNYz6
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Bc _zone10b

Your garden plans sound divine. I have a few of your chosen roses and I have enjoyed them in my gardens…

Princess Alexandria of Kent is in second year a non-stop bloomer almost. She blooms the most of almost any DA rose! Love her pink-peach colors! She can be tall, but I’d prune her. Her blooms are the biggest 5 inch diameter and fragrance is strongest and it’s divine. It is the queen of my DAs!

Photo of 1/2 of rose bush below…. It grew some very long shoots on the other side of it-it was lop- sided, but it had very big blooms at the end of the tall shoots, too. Photo for last spring of beginning 2nd year. It grew to 4 ft in my colder climate in Oct., zone 6.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

BC,

I also have: DAs: Anne Boleyn, Munstead Wood, Heritage, Mayflower, Eglantyne, Abe, Harlow Carr, Mary Rose, Olivia, Strawberry Hill, Desdemona, Princess Anne. Plus I ordered and am very excited about Eutacia Vye, Emily Bronte, Roald Dayl, James Galway, & Queen of Sweden.

At our Texas DA Nursery, Jubilee Crlebration is sold out until fall of 2023-so I will wait to order her! Jubilee C is a huge bloom in diameter and super peachy-pink and fragrant-a total winner!!!!!

Abe grew well for me in CA, beautiful blooms in zone 9, however, he doesn’t do well in my cooler humid climate, BS prone.

Anne Boleyn has been described well by Anne above in all her many colors! I have had her in punks, pueaches and a variety of pastels. She has pretty peachy-pink color and has a beautiful first flush and can bloom more, she was on al huge roll of constant blooms and buds all over, but mine had BS which stunted her prolific blooming. She blooms in arches and is 3ft. Pretty glossy leaves.

Eglantyne, Harlow Carr, Mayflower, Heritage, Strawberry Hill, Desdemona, Munstead W, do very well for me! I’d show photos if interested.

Princess Anne is an amazing non-stop bloomer and very disease resistant! Medium fragrance. She blooms a lot in many people’s gsrdens!

Anne Boleyn (bigger bush, 2nd yr, 1st spring flush…)

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Mary Rose is a great performer! I have had her at 5 of my homes…. I like her medium pink color and forever prolific blooms! She’s the first to bloom and never stops!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Olivia us very pristine and blooms really well. Immune to diseases and super healthy! Love my precious Olivia! Many blooms!

Princess Anne

I considered Spirit of Freedom,, love its gorgeous blooms! However, I realized she is a huge climber. Do you want a climber on your hill? I saw a lady’s 12 ft SoF; DA says it gets 8ft-I guess that is an average. I saw another nursery say it gets 5 ft in zone 4-8. I may try it after all, if I can keep it 5-6 ft.

Most of my hundred+ roses are new or 1-2 years old. A few are 3,years old.

I use liquid Alaska Fish Fertilizer and Morbloom Fish Fertilizer often. Monthly I use Rose Tone or Plant Tone. And my soil these days is Espoma Organic Garden Soil and Gourmet Sea Compist, cow manure or Miracle Gro Organic Soil. And ai am adding brown shreaded bark chips to mound/mulch for winter. I am also starting to compost a kitchen scraps recipe and try real fish sonetimes. And a few other things….

• crow465z8b
    last year

@Diane Brakefield Diane, thanks so much - you are a wealth of knowledge and your willingness to share information is highly appreciated! For the past decade and more, my hubby and I have battled thistle in my rose garden. I mistakenly fed the finches their favorite food, thistle seed but to my horror later found that it was unsterilized. It became widespread across our farm but nowhere so prolific as in my rose garden. I could not, would not spray for it as I had existing roses there as well as other treasures nearby. What a mess! We finally won the battle and now I am so delighted to finally see the rose garden taking shape. I'm planting DA roses with a vengeance and hoping to live long enough to see them in their mature glory. I keep a rose journal and have recorded your good advice on feeding there, as well as the names of your gorgeous plantings I am drooling over in your photos. I am so happy to have found you here! Carol (Old Crow)

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Hi crow, I'm amazed to read about your thistle seed troubles. I've fed finches nyjer (niger) thistle for years, and never had a bit of problem. I guess the key is to get sterilized thistle seed. I'll go out to the garage in a bit and find the brand(s) I use, purchased from the same farm store as the compost I buy, And thank you again for the very nice comments on my roses. We have had a difficult year this year due to record breaking heat, and the pesty deer, though they were a minor trouble compared to the weather. Diane

• crow465z8b
    last year

@Diane Brakefield I don't remember the brand I bought but boy, did I ever regret it! I will never again buy any form of thistle seed after the fiasco we had. We also had hideous heat this summer and we have also had a rabbit infestation that we are battling. They are cute little varmints but they love young rose canes! In spite of all of those pesky problems, my roses have been lovely and continued blooming all summer long. My brand new Austins that were planted this spring (Golden Celebration, Bathsheba, Roald Dahl, Lady of Shalott, Desdemona and Wollerton Old Hall) have grown like crazy and all have bloomed a lot as well. I have many more ordered for spring '23. I just now ordered WBY and will order Augusta in spring when available. I am looking for Twilight Zone. Diane, are your Augusta and Twilight planted in semi-shade? If not, do you have color fade with either in full sun? Yours are truly stunning! Where do you live?

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

Hi crow, Thank you again about AL and TZ. I live in the desert hills outside Boise, ID, zone 7, hot and dry in summer with mild winters (usually). I grow AL and TZ in pretty much full sun, though there is a little partial tree shade briefly. They do not fade in sun. I grow three Ebb Tide, two since 2006, and those can fade in heat and sun, but ET is still a good rose for me. I don't know where TZ is sold now, but I'm sure it's out there still. I grow two TZs and my older one in the front flower bed next to AL is darker than my TZ in back, which grows between two Munstead Woods, and the three function as one giant shrub, getting along well. They have been my best bloomers this awful hot year. Munstead is about my favorite Austin, but Golden Celebration is just behind MW. I hope your GC does well for you. I'd grow more on your list, but I ran out of space quite a while back! Diane

WBY last year was more of a Clown Prince and had a much better year then. He doesn't like the heat.

Ebb Tide, the Clown Jester last year. This year both ET and WBY haven't been in much of a clown mode, even though heat seems to bring this coloration on.

Munstead wood a few days ago. This rose does not fade in the heat.

• crow465z8b
    last year

@Diane Brakefield Oh my, now I am double/triple swooning over your masterpiece plantings! And guess what? I am from Boise!!! I was born and raised in Idaho, my daughter lives near Wilder. I knew I liked you!!! I have lived in Cascade, Cambridge, Homedale, Nampa and Boise. I adore Idaho but moved to Washington to marry my love. I have enjoyed the temperate climate here and the rampant growth of everything. I love the mosses dripping from trees in the forests. This farm was a blank slate when I came and I set out landscaping with a vengeance. After 16 years, things are looking mature and I love what we have accomplished. Gardening is such a fulfilling passion but roses are my true love in the world of horticulture. Wisteria Alba comes in at a close second. Thanks for sharing more exquisite photos. I have loved Ebb Tide (my brother's name is Ebb!) for several years but mine has not flourished. I am still babying him as much as possible after three years. It might be that there is a mess of thistle growing at his base - I have to get on my knees and paint the leaves of the thistle with a tiny brush one careful bit at a time with a killer, how's that for rose care? HA! I have ordered 5 bare root Munstead Wood for spring planting and know that it will be one of, if not my very most favorite. I love those sultry deep colored roses. I planted two GC this spring and both have grown like crazy and have had at least 8 to 10 blooms each. I told my husband that I have never seen roses grow so quickly as these have, as well as Lady of Shalott and Desdemona. Bathsheba has been a bit slower but she, too, is now stretching and has had a number of lovely blooms. Our summer has been extremely, horribly hot and dry but we have the roses on drips which I'm sure has saved them. Thanks again, so much, Diane. Talking roses with you is such fun! I'm thrilled to learn that MW does not fade in heat! My rose garden is in full sun, all day. I have a James Galway that has been in total shade and still blooms! I planted one Quaking Aspen tree and it turned into hundreds, almost as much of a pest at the thistle was! Part of the joy of gardening in WA is the super fast growth so I will not complain. Have a wonderful weekend.

• rosecanadian
    last year

Diane - so you're a Canadian citizen!!! :) :) Welcome, fellow Canadian. :) :)

Kitty - those PAoK blooms are divine!!! I loooove them! :) :) I really want to get some Austins!! I love your Mary Rose pics!!

Crow - I'm a Carol too! Welcome! Now there are 3 Carols on the rose forum. :) :) I'm really sorry about the thistles! What a chore to get rid of those thugs.

Diane - I really want my Wild Blue Yonder to look more like yours next year! I know I'll never get the same color...but I'm hoping for more from mine next year. I ADORE your WBY!!!! And, then, of course, there's your Munstead Wood!!! Oh my!!

Crow - who knew you and Diane had so much in common. :) And your brother's name is Ebb. :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

haha, Carol. I was born in Vancouver, Washington, in the Kaiser Permanente hospital right after WW2 ended. My parents had been working in the Kaiser Shipyards building ships during the war. Then my dad went back to finish up his college/university education in Oregon. Both parents graduated from Oregon universities. So I have Oregon, Washington, and Idaho roots. Dad's family first came to Idaho around 1900, not long after it became a state.....You know, WBY didn't get the great colors as much this year, so we all had some disappointments, mostly because of weather. I do think it takes some maturity in the plant before these colors begin to show up, so don't give up on WBY....I asked in another thread if you got to see the Ball of Bees photo. More later about that.

Crow, I'm so impressed by all the many places you've lived--I grew up in Caldwell and lived for a few years in Nampa, too. Then I lived in California and my daughter is a native Californian who has lived most of her life in Boise. And your daughter lives near Wilder, land of great hops and Batts. I do grow hops here for fun, too. They're technically my son in law's, and he put together the system of cables the hops grow on, and he takes the dying vines down (which will happen soon). Diane

• crow465z8b
    last year

Diane, seems like you and I are near the same age and have swapped our living locales! I love everything you do in your garden, I thought of growing hops but never actually tried. They make a lovely vine and the dried flowers are wonderful. We live just 10 or 15 minutes from Vancouver and of course, just across the river from Portland which is called "The City of Roses." I have gone mad! I get on the David Austin website and cannot control myself. I have 28 new roses arriving in spring and wonder how I will ever get all those planted! Digging in our clay soil "ain't" easy but I will do it. I do amend our soil every chance I get and hubby brings compost by the trailer loads. My ideas are so much bigger than my stamina! It's a good thing we have plenty of room to keep expanding the rose garden or else I would be permanently frustrated.

• crow465z8b
    last year

rosecanadian, hello and thank you for the welcome! I am so delighted to find like-minded gardener friends to compare notes with and talk all things roses. I might add that I love and adore Canada, the few spots we've visited. The Canadian Rockies are to die for, I will never forget the first time I saw them. We love going to Victoria and your national parks are magnificent. Thank you so much for your sweet note!

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Carol, Thank you! PAoK is my biggest bllom of all my Austins, most fragrant, and has the most prolific blooms, & gets BS, Lol However, she fully recovered & she’s a keeper! Highly recommend her for looking gorgeous in pots! Maybe this is the year of David Austin’s for you! DA are considered some of the most prolific fragrant bloomers for gardens.

• Tututara Zone 7
    last year

I have this rose that looks like Anne Boleyn received from DA 3 years back as PAok. I did get replacement from DA. It took while to establish because of Rose Midge damage last 2 years.

Now in third year, it has long canes (4-5 ft) and blooms only at the end in bunch. Blooms shatter quickly in summer but in spring/fall they stay for 4 - 5 days on plant. It has mild fragrance and has button center. Can someone confirm if it is Anne B. ?

• Diane Brakefield
    last year

That's gorgeous, Tututara, and in my opinion much more beautiful than PAoK, my nemesis. I wish I could help you confirm your rose's identity, but it's a keeper. Diane

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    last year

Tututara you have had your Anne Boleyn much longer than me (6 months) so I’m not sure how helpful I can be but at this point I do think your blooms look like mine

• KittyNYz6
    last year

@Tututara Zone 7 It sounds from performance exactly like my Anne Boleyn… blooms at end of canes in clusters, shatters in summer, holds blooms on few days soring/fall, button eye, and coloring same. However, shape of petals not sure? Can you show any fully opened petals? Does yours match any of my Anne Boleyn photos? (Had BS, but removed leaves and it’s nice now.)

First baby bloom

Anne B is many shades & shapes. She had a profusion of blooms 2nd year for a month-it was really blooming big-tinstons-most of any rise bush if my hundred!!!!!! . Then something happened w/ buds all over…. sun was really hot-heat wave and whole bush buds burned black…only . a few buds on other bushes same. Lost all buds on Anne. Didn’t bloom again until late summer. It looked sm black buds-was either rose midge or sun-saw black buds a little on other roses. Other roses were fine. Not sure what it was.

• Tututara Zone 7
    last year

@oursteelers 8B PNW thank you.

@KittyNYz6 I will take photos tomorrow when it is fully open and post here. Thank you.

• berrypiez6b
    last year

Your Anne is a phenomenal rose Kitty. I love button eyes.

Gotta feed Amara and turn in for the night. Have a good night everyone.

• KittyNYz6
    last year

Berry, Thank you!

• Tututara Zone 7
    last year

Pictures of Anne Boleyn with full open petals.