SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jjsj54

Schumacher Arcanthus Leaf...is there a look for less?

jjam
3 years ago

I'm working on new wallpaper and paint for our traditional home since new windows have just been installed. My heart skipped a beat when I saw this for the foyer....

but sank a few moments later when I saw the price. It runs at $112 per yd, or roughly $450 per single roll. I would need something like 12 rolls. With labor to remove the old paper and install, the price would even be out of splurge territory.

So, back to the drawing board. Do any of you know of a good look for less?

I don't have a good photo of the space but this gives an idea, (the outdoor chairs were pulled inside during a storm recently). The stairway is to the right of the door as you enter. It's not a huge space and doesn't have much going for it in terms of architectural features so I like the idea of a large scale pattern.

Comments (14)

• Pat Reddrick
    3 years ago

You might be able to accomplish the same effect with solid paint background color and a stencil to creat the vertical figures.

• Yayagal
    3 years ago

Oh yes, there are better-priced ones, here's a link, and scroll down the whole page. The warmer tones would look better in your home. Notice the one very similar to the gray high priced one. https://www.wallpaperwarehouse.com/wallpaper-style/Acanthus-Leaf-Wallpaper/STYLE_52def7fd8241e?pageid=1

• jjam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Pat and Yayagal! Pat, I wish we could stencil, and I suppose it's possible, but the walls have been papered three times already, and I'm fairly certain there is damage to the drywall. When the current paper was installed 20 years ago, the painter told me the walls were not in good shape. But when we remove the paper, maybe we'll be surprised!

Yayagal, that is so helpful! Some of those patterns look great, and the prices are more in line with what I was thinking of. Because of the new windows, all of the trim is going to be painted a true white. That is causing me to shift a little toward cooler tones but I'll know more once I decide on a few and can try samples in my home. Thank you!

• ilikefriday
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

A few years ago, I glued decorative wrapping paper to my powder room walls using Mod Podge. This was not wallpaper, but the kind of paper you find at an art store to wrap gifts. About a month ago, I decided I was ready for a change. Of course, the Mod Podge damaged the drywall. I ordered a wallpaper liner and attached it to the walls. Then I did the same thing again. I glued decorative paper on the walls, but this time with the liner in between. There is no evidence of damaged drywall that can be seen because the liner covers it. The directions on the liner say it can be painted just as you would drywall, or it can be used with wallpaper on top. Perhaps you could line your walls with wallpaper liner, then paint and stencil. I doubt you would notice any damage at all.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

Keep in mind Schumacher is selling it by yard measurements, so be careful when you order.

• jjam
    3 years ago

Thanks Friday...I would not have thought of that! And yay a gal, I was very excited to see that but the price appears to be for one yard, not a roll. The listing is deceiving. The reviews mention this also. If that were the price for a single standard roll I would go for it!

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    3 years ago

You’re not papering under the chair rail?

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    3 years ago

Check out sites that have discontinued wallpaper patterns at a discount. You may not find this particular pattern, but you could find something similar that has the quantity you need.

• jjam
    3 years ago

Thanks Sabrina and Judy G.

Judy, I have considered just papering the top but currently have paper above and below the chair rail, so something needs to go there. It’s not a big area so I’m not sure the savings would be that much. I’ve also go 8 ft ceilings so would prefer not breaking it up and have considered removing the chair rail. Does that make sense?

Sabrina, do you have a site with discontinued patterns you could recommend? i Live in NC and am spoiled by many fabric outlets where I see heavily discounted fabrics regulately. Would love to find one for wallpape!!

• One Devoted Dame
    3 years ago

Try Spoonflower. Many of their artists will change the scale/colorway to suit your needs. :-) I haven't tried any of their wallpapers -- just their fabrics -- and am pretty happy with everything I've ordered. Good luck!

• jjam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you, Devoted Dame! Wow, the things I learn on this forum are amazing. Spoonflower is great! I had never heard of them. Not sure I will use them for my foyer paper but I have other areas to consider later.

And, duh, all hope may not be lost for the Schumacher paper as I have realized that while it is sold by the yard, the strips are 54" wide, so they cover twice the width of standard wallpaper rolls. So I'm going to give it another look and try to get a firm idea of how many yards I would need exactly.

• Allison0704
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The recent Wayfair reviews on this were awful.

Spoonflower is a great option. Since it's a small space, is there a local artist that could paint it for you?

• jjam
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thanks allison, I saw the reviews and will likely not order through wayfair if I decide to go with this.. Looks like the reviewers seemed to think they were going to receive a roll, not a yard, of wallpaper. Very confusing how wayfair listed it. Also, there appear to be two types of wallcovering made by Schumacher with this pattern; one is vinyl and the other is grasscloth. The vinyl is what I am interested in since it's definitely going in a high traffic area. I've ordered samples and will proceed with caution if I love it. Meanwhile, I agree, Spoonflower is amazing! I'm blown away!!