SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hiddenacres32

Do you and your partner have “rules” about spending money?

Anne
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

In my sewing machine thread it came up.....do you have a set amount that if you are going to spend on something other then regular expenses that you discuss it first?

This is my second marriage, our children are grown and we are comfortable. We don’t really need or want much. We( more my husband) are good at grocery and farm market shopping for fresh and frugal. We do(pre Covid) eat at local moderate to high price and quality restaurants. We drive nice but not showy cars. We have a nice home with property for our animals.

We don’t have a set amount where we have agreed to discuss it but seems we have it figured out.

He wouldn’t ask about new golf clubs but I would consult him because he is a better golfer and would know if I was overspending for my skill level.

He doesn‘t care what I spend on clothes (Work clothes are high end bought carefully, home is mostly Champion brand yoga gear). He is retired so likes comfort. We both wear expensive shoes because we both have had foot injuries.

I mentioned in the last thread that the only time he ever said anything was when he found out what my hair colorist/ stylist charges ( she is pretty moderate) He told me I would be beautiful with grey hair!

My 1st husband and I did have an amount when kids were small because our budget was tighter. I think that ended the day he pulled in garage in a new car....surprise....that was not a good day at our house.

I can’t imagine either of us would spend more than 800 without talking except for to the vet because we are mush about our pets.

Comments (31)