SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derek_mcquarrie

Cabinet Delivery is 9 weeks past estimate - Christmas is in jeopardy

Derek McQuarrie
3 years ago

I paid $7000 (50%) deposit on 9/13 to have some kitchen cabinets fabricated and installed. Store says delivery is now 12/15 (“first half of Dec”).

Rep came to the house in Sept to take preliminary measurements, then again on 11/4 to take final measurements for ONE of the cabinets that's going into an area that has new framing and drywall (space didn’t exist at the first visit). The drywall was finished 10/26 but the rep couldn’t measure until 11/4 because of a family situation.

Now the store says delivery will be 12/15, and I think that’s going to push the project past Christmas

The paperwork (yes, I signed it) says…

1. specifies in detail what is being purchased, cabinet type, size, quantity

2. states estimated delivery 10/8

3. fine print says delivery date is not guaranteed.

4. deposit is not refundable

I have not gone back to the store yet. I have a pretty good record of getting my consumer issues resolved, so I plan to start sensibly – all I want is for them to deliver in time so the whole project can be finished by 12/20.

But what are my legal rights, and anybody got suggestions for what to do if they won’t cooperate?

Thoughts; there is only one cabinet that needed to wait for the drywall work before final measurements could happen. Ok, and a bookshelf area that I wouldn’t be hurt about if it wasn’t finished. So the other cabinets could have been started already - the rest of the cabinets shouldn’t take 13 weeks to make; there are 5 new cabinets being fabricated and they have to modify or move 4 existing.

If they haven’t started work yet, I feel I should be able to get a refund, minus labor for measurements and visits.

Comments (26)