SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfharmon

Help! Is my Steam Shower going to electrocute me?!

rfharmon
3 years ago

Hi Houzz,

We are remodeling our master bathroom and my wife desperately wants a steam shower now that it is clear we are going to be home for an extended period of time in 2021. I was able to install a steam shower, by placing the generator under a bench to be built into the shower. Neither the electrician or plumber seemed concerned and my GC didn't either, but my Tiler said he had never seen that in 30 years and was "VERY" concerned it would lead to me getting electrocuted.

Now that he has said that, I am freaking out at the idea of delivering 240v of electricity into my shower area. I did some research and the company website does say not to put it "in" the shower, but I've seen lots of designs with the steam generator in the shower bench

I am wondering if this is just a situation where the Tiler should have built the mudpan smaller so that the bench was built behind it off the floor and is now trying to get out of fixing it by scaring me to move away from the steam shower.

As I see it, my options are (1) keep it as it is, (2) make the tiler re-do the mud pan so that it ends before the bench and place the generator directly on the floor, (3) move the generator to another room ($$$), or (4) just abandon steam for this shower and enjoy a larger shower.

I could really use some help from anyone who is knowledgeable about this or has a steam shower themselves.

This is obviously not an ideal look with a wood colored door, but these folks definitely have the steam generator in their shower bench and an access panel on the side.

Conifer Steam Shower · More Info

Here is my current layout:

Here is my crude drawing of how we would build a bench over he generator:

Comments (16)