SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly

Holiday card exchange?

Rosefolly
3 years ago

I was wondering what people thought about it this year. Too much to bother with? Or a symbol of normalcy?

Comments (50)

• sheri_z6
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I'd be interested, and definitely consider it a symbol of normalcy. But if others aren't into it this year, I'd totally understand.

• donnamira
    3 years ago

I'd enjoy doing it again too.

• Related Discussions

KT Chirstmas/Holiday Card Exchange

Q

Comments (56)
    Am in Gettysburg, PA. Camp internet is not good. have added two more. 1 .Hgl_Gayle Marie 2. Phyllis_mn 3. Monica_Pa 4. Cheryl_ok 5. Kathsgrdn 6. Stoneybaloney 7. Janie_ga 8. Millburn_jn_po_mom 9. Liira Lynn_d Terilyn Jasdip Minnie in TX Marilyn Sue Jackie Ok Wanda_va Gabby girl Pattico Maryanntx Marilyn_c 21.Joann_fla Vickey MN Toni NE Kat WA 25.Mama Toad Daisy_3gardner Murray mom marie nd Leann2800 Ont_gal I have not forgotten myself, yet! I did almost forget to add me last year tho! Mrsmarv, PLEASE email me if you want in. You posted here, but didn't email me with your address & info. I don't want to count on last year's info transfering improperly, so don't want to just use what I might have, especially with my computer problems. Cheryl, thanks for double checking me. I am saving all of this on a flash drive while on the road. Whole computer is backed up at home on an external drive. So far the screen is working, as long as I have it in the correct possition, but don't dare let it go to sleep or move the screen! Tami
    ...See More

Christmas/Holiday card exchange?

Q

Comments (3)
    All right then! I will start the new thread. Artemis_ma, I will post about how we do this on that thread for you.
    ...See More

Christmas / Holiday card exchange!

Q

Comments (53)
    Tami, I did not get the original or the corrected list! I just double checked and do not have it. Will you please re send? Thanks!
    ...See More

Holiday card question

Q

Comments (45)
    OT, but stationery related from the NYT: We Could All Use a Little Snail Mail Now What do Oprah Winfrey, Richard Branson, George H.W. Bush, Taylor Swift, all have in common? Besides fame and success, what do all of these people have in common? Something surprisingly unglamorous and gloriously analog: a love of physical cards and letters. Of notes that need a lick and a stamp instead of a click and a swoosh. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/smarter-living/we-could-all-use-a-little-snail-mail-right-now.html?fallback=0&recId=1BLKsv0Xc3wRhYNhXYY3xG1Laxa&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=FL&recAlloc=control&geoCountry=US&blockId=home-living-vi&imp_id=557983673&action=click&module=Smarter%20Living&pgtype=Homepage
    ...See More
  • merryworld
    3 years ago

I'm in!

• skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
    3 years ago

Let's do it!!

• Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

Yes, please.

• yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

Is this a card exchange or the annual bookmark exchange ?

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I was planning the annual bookmark exchange. But that's a thought. In the days of COVID, will it be difficult to source the bookmarks? Please share your thoughts.

• yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

It might be a fun to create a bookmark . I've always found those most interesting. There are many designs for bookmarks that can be printed from online sources for free .......or purchased from Etsy.com for a very minimal price and then printed. Perhaps our bookmarks can have a "pandemic theme" !

• merryworld
    3 years ago

Lots of museums and bookstores sell bookmarks via their internet shops, and if you have the means and a particular favorite, they could use support this year. The Strand, Powell's, and Harvard Bookstore all have reasonably priced bookmarks you can order. Like Yoyobon, I also love the homemade ones and have enjoyed making some myself. That said, I'm happy with just a card, too. It's the connection, the joy of putting a smile on someone's face, and anticipation of real mail that counts for me. I hope everyone who wants to participates joins in and doesn't give up for lack of bookmarks.

3 years ago

No lack of bookmarks here. I'd be happy with just a card, too.

• rouan
    3 years ago

I have way more bookmarks than I will ever use but I love doing the exchange so I am in, bookmarks or not!

• yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

"real mail "......wouldn't that be a joy. I am so tired of opening my mailbox and finding it stuffed with political pleas and campaigns.

• sheri_z6
    3 years ago

I have bookmarks, I'm good to go. Cards are fine, too. It's all a big happy YES! to real mail and our long connection here : )

• Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

I'm okay with either one, but maybe we would have more participants if we only sent cards.

• christine_a
    3 years ago

I’m in again this year. I already spied the bookmarks that I’d send to all of you but if the plan is just cards that’s ok as well. Thanks for organizing Rosefolly!

• donnamira
    3 years ago

I was planning to print out bookmarks this year, although I still have dozens of leftover NASA bookmarks, if people don't mind duplicates of bookmarks you probably already have. But sending only a card is fine, since they make great bookmarks too. :)

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sounds like we're all okay with it. Let's say that any solution we pick will be fine - card by itself, card with new bookmark, card with crafted bookmark, card with repeat bookmark -- whatever we choose.

Let's wait a couple more weeks to see if anyone else wants to join in the fun. I can send the list out just before Thanksgiving. If anyone has a new mailing address or a new email, please let me know. I'm pretty sure I have last year's saved in my rosefolly email. I'll check to be sure.

Rosefolly

3 years ago

Hooray!

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I'm headed off for a few days to see my newborn granddaughter and her family. I am thinking that by the end of this week I could organize and send out the addresses. I don't think we are going to get any more participants (though of course they would be welcome!).

If anyone has changed mailing addresses or emails since last year, please let me know. I'll need to check on email addresses as well. Anyone who needs to communicate with me off the forum can do so through Houzz. I'm enabled to receive mail that way.

• Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

My email address is now carolynnewlen@gmail.com

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The addresses have been emailed. Please let me know if you have not received them, or if you see an error with your own address.

Sorry for the delay. I have been unable to logon to the RP forum though I can see it to read it. As some of you know, I've asked others to try to logon with mixed results. One suggestion finally worked, and I'll post separately about that.

• merryworld
    3 years ago

Hi Rosefolly, I don't seem to have received your email with the addresses, but I did receive an email about trouble logging in. I also had trouble so thanks for posting that link. Could you resend the addresses to me?

Rosefolly thanked merryworld
    3 years ago

I didn't get it either. I responded to your earlier message but in case you didn't get that I'm posting here too.

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Merryworld, I just sent the list again. Perhaps the first attempt ended up in your junk email.

One of these years I'll get them all to each of you on the first try, and they will all be correct.

But this I not that year.

• donnamira
    3 years ago

I didn't get it in my mail either, but found it in my Houzz messages, and downloaded it to my PC. Thanks!

Rosefolly thanked donnamira
  • Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Donnamira, I know I sent it to you and to Merryworld, so I am bewildered. I made a mistake with my cut-and-paste, so I get how I missed Skibby (so sorry, Skibby!), but I am quite bewildered in your cases.

I think that if we decide to do this next year, I'll have everyone re-send me their current email addresses through Houzz. Then I'll set up a google group for the mailing.

• donnamira
    3 years ago

Rosefolly, no worries! I probably have my Houzz settings messed up for receiving mail. The bottom line is that I have the addresses! (Now to collect/make the bookmarks!).

Rosefolly thanked donnamira
  • merryworld
    3 years ago

I got it! Thanks for resending it. Don't know what happened to the first, not in spam. We had a storm with some power outages, maybe that caused a problem?

Rosefolly thanked merryworld
  • rouan
    3 years ago

I have received some already and finally got mine mailed out today!

Rosefolly thanked rouan
  • Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

The cards have begun to pour in. Now I have to get on th cards for the rest of my list! Yes, I did these first.

• yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

From Yvonne ...........

Rosefolly thanked yoyobon_gw
  • annpanagain
    3 years ago

Thank you for putting that up, Yvonne. I haven't joined in the exchange (postage problems!) but it is lovely to see one of the cards. I always follow the thread and enjoy your delight in receiving them.

Rosefolly thanked annpanagain
  • Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

Thanks, Yoyo.

Rosefolly thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

Or as dear? Just kidding; all of mine are very dear to me.

I just got my cards in the mail today. Of all years, I certainly don't have the excuse that I've been too busy. It just sort of crept up on me. The postal worker that sold me the stamps was super nice, which must be hard this time of year with all the 6' apart, masked, and harried customers,

• christine_a
    3 years ago

Mine were mailed last week but I figured I’d better explain the wonky postage on them. Since the bookmarks and cards I sent were too “puffy” my cards had to be considered a parcel rather than a standard card. You can imagine the price difference between mailing a card versus mailing a parcel. Oh well! I hope you enjoy them!

Rosefolly thanked christine_a
    3 years ago

It's just beautiful, Christine. I had put all my bookmarks for this year in a Christmas mug. Perfect!

Rosefolly thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

Carolyn......you can choose your friends but you inherit your family !

• yoyobon_gw
    3 years ago

Christine,

You can't imagine what a wonderful surprise and a needed bit of joy your card and bookmark brought this Christmas morning.

This morning we were greeted by flooding in our entry and garage which is part of our house's footprint. The four feet of snow melted quickly from torrential rains that came down yesterday causing widespread flooding. As my husband drove off in search of a sump pump I tried to sweep the five inches of water out and away. When DH returned , without finding a pump, he picked up our mail from the box at the bottom of our long driveway. Opening your card I was so thrilled with that gorgeous bookmark but especially touched by your thoughtfulness.
    It was exactly what I needed this Christmas morning without friends or family able to be near.

Yvonne

• Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

I was impressed with your bookmark, too, Christine, and all the more so when I saw the amount of postage you paid!

• Rosefolly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Just opening all our cards now on the afternoon of Christmas Day. I enjoyed them, each and every one, cards and bookmarks alike.

Christine, you knocked my Christmas socks right off my feet!

• christine_a
    3 years ago

You’re all making me blush with your accolades! I’m so pleased that you all loved the bookmarks as much as I did. I always approach our annual holiday exchange as an opportunity to buy myself a bookmark that I absolutely love and to find a bookmark that I highly doubt anyone has in their collection. You can imagine that it becomes more difficult every year to find a bookmark that meets my my criteria to share with all of you. This year when I found these bookmarks I was ecstatic! I ordered them from Etsy and was waiting with anticipation for their arrival. When I finally received the tracking information that is when I realized that the artist was located in Italy! Anyways, everything worked out and even though these bookmarks ended being pricier than I would normally spend between the cost of the bookmarks and then the extra postage, I figured we all needed a small treat to end this crazy year!

Yoyobon, I’m so sorry to hear about your flooding issues today. We also had a lot of rain in CT with high winds and we got a bit of water in our basement. Nothing like your catastrophe, but still I had some extra work on a day that no one wants any extra work!

I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and here’s hoping that 2021 is a brighter year!

• annpanagain
    3 years ago

Christine, can you put up a pix of the bookmark, please?

OT...We had a very hot Christmas Day, it peaked at around 102F so the only flooding here was with sweat! I stayed at home and received visitors.

Due to the Chinese Government's ban on our Rock Lobsters for political reasons, this year we have been able to afford this much reduced in price delicacy. My visitors brought me a feast of a cooked tail and other seafood for my Christmas Day supper.

• christine_a
    3 years ago

Annpanagain, here are a few pictures of the bookmarks I sent. I believe that I had to order 4 or 5 designs because of what the artist had available And have enough to send out for the exchange.

The Etsy shop’s name is TinyFeltHeart.

• annpanagain
    3 years ago

Christine, thank you. They all look very unusual and charming. No wonder the RP'ers were so happy to receive one!

3 years ago

I love all my bookmarks and cards. Thank you all so much!

Rosefolly thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • Carolyn Newlen
    3 years ago

Me, too! This is a lot of fun and something to look forward to receiving among all the zillion catalogs I get in the mail.

• sheri_z6
    3 years ago

Thank you all for the bookmarks! I love this tradition, it's so much fun to get the card and bookmark the mail. Christine, your bookmarks are stunning!

Rosefolly thanked sheri_z6
  • christine_a
    3 years ago

Annpanagain, I have a different bookmark that the artist sent as a thank you that I'd be happy to send to you. If you email me your address, I'll drop them into the mail. My email is 3almeidaboys@att.net. Like many of us, my bookmark collection runneth-over so I'm happy to share!

• annpanagain
    3 years ago

Christine, what a kind offer but I shall decline with thanks. I am in Australia and the postage would be expensive. I really appreciate your gesture very much.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm