Houzz Logo Print
rosefollyz5

Holiday card exchange?

5 years ago

I was wondering what people thought about it this year. Too much to bother with? Or a symbol of normalcy?



Comments (50)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I'd be interested, and definitely consider it a symbol of normalcy. But if others aren't into it this year, I'd totally understand.

  • 5 years ago

    I'd enjoy doing it again too.

  • Related Discussions

    Christmas card exchange/ornament exchange

    Q

    Comments (24)
    My Christmas Wish 2007 In recent years, my parents health (esp. my mother) has deteriorated. I recently moved 600 miles closer just to be with them. I fear this may be the last Christmas for one or both of them. They really LOVE Christmas cards! As I was rummaging through the attic to retrieve their Christmas decorations, I found Christmas cards they had received from 30 years ago. They throw NONE away. I was trying to think of something really special to do for them for Christmas and I came up with this idea. If you have the Christmas spirit, and want to do something nice for someone (who doesn't?) - please take the time to send my parent's a Christmas card. Christmas was always a magical time of year for our family and I truly want to make this magical for the both of them. Please! God Bless You and I hope you and your family have a wonderful Christmas. Address is as follows: Donald and Betty Coleman 704 Seattle Drive Lexington Kentucky 40503 Please forward this to all your family/friends/coworkers. God Bless!!!
    ...See More

    Christmas Card Exchange

    Q

    Comments (1)
    So many new friends..most of whom I will never meet. DH was awed at the number of cards, and the distances some cards had travelled. I enjoyed each and every one and have them displayed all over the LR. My house looks like a card shop! Thank you, dear ones, from the bottom of my heart. Nancy
    ...See More

    Holiday card question

    Q

    Comments (45)
    OT, but stationery related from the NYT: We Could All Use a Little Snail Mail Now What do Oprah Winfrey, Richard Branson, George H.W. Bush, Taylor Swift, all have in common? Besides fame and success, what do all of these people have in common? Something surprisingly unglamorous and gloriously analog: a love of physical cards and letters. Of notes that need a lick and a stamp instead of a click and a swoosh. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/08/smarter-living/we-could-all-use-a-little-snail-mail-right-now.html?fallback=0&recId=1BLKsv0Xc3wRhYNhXYY3xG1Laxa&locked=0&geoContinent=NA&geoRegion=FL&recAlloc=control&geoCountry=US&blockId=home-living-vi&imp_id=557983673&action=click&module=Smarter%20Living&pgtype=Homepage
    ...See More

    OT: Christmas/Holiday Card Exchange 2021

    Q

    Comments (2)
    Thank you for doing this ! it was so fun to recieve cards last year :)
    ...See More
  • 5 years ago

    I'm in!

  • 5 years ago

    Let's do it!!

  • 5 years ago

    Yes, please.

  • 5 years ago

    Is this a card exchange or the annual bookmark exchange ?

  • 5 years ago

    I was planning the annual bookmark exchange. But that's a thought. In the days of COVID, will it be difficult to source the bookmarks? Please share your thoughts.


  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It might be a fun to create a bookmark . I've always found those most interesting. There are many designs for bookmarks that can be printed from online sources for free .......or purchased from Etsy.com for a very minimal price and then printed. Perhaps our bookmarks can have a "pandemic theme" !

  • 5 years ago

    Lots of museums and bookstores sell bookmarks via their internet shops, and if you have the means and a particular favorite, they could use support this year. The Strand, Powell's, and Harvard Bookstore all have reasonably priced bookmarks you can order. Like Yoyobon, I also love the homemade ones and have enjoyed making some myself. That said, I'm happy with just a card, too. It's the connection, the joy of putting a smile on someone's face, and anticipation of real mail that counts for me. I hope everyone who wants to participates joins in and doesn't give up for lack of bookmarks.


  • 5 years ago

    No lack of bookmarks here. I'd be happy with just a card, too.

  • 5 years ago

    I have way more bookmarks than I will ever use but I love doing the exchange so I am in, bookmarks or not!

  • 5 years ago

    "real mail "......wouldn't that be a joy. I am so tired of opening my mailbox and finding it stuffed with political pleas and campaigns.

  • 5 years ago

    I have bookmarks, I'm good to go. Cards are fine, too. It's all a big happy YES! to real mail and our long connection here : )

  • 5 years ago

    I'm okay with either one, but maybe we would have more participants if we only sent cards.

  • 5 years ago

    I’m in again this year. I already spied the bookmarks that I’d send to all of you but if the plan is just cards that’s ok as well. Thanks for organizing Rosefolly!

  • 5 years ago

    I was planning to print out bookmarks this year, although I still have dozens of leftover NASA bookmarks, if people don't mind duplicates of bookmarks you probably already have. But sending only a card is fine, since they make great bookmarks too. :)

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Sounds like we're all okay with it. Let's say that any solution we pick will be fine - card by itself, card with new bookmark, card with crafted bookmark, card with repeat bookmark -- whatever we choose.

    Let's wait a couple more weeks to see if anyone else wants to join in the fun. I can send the list out just before Thanksgiving. If anyone has a new mailing address or a new email, please let me know. I'm pretty sure I have last year's saved in my rosefolly email. I'll check to be sure.

    Rosefolly



  • 5 years ago

    Hooray!

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    I'm headed off for a few days to see my newborn granddaughter and her family. I am thinking that by the end of this week I could organize and send out the addresses. I don't think we are going to get any more participants (though of course they would be welcome!).

    If anyone has changed mailing addresses or emails since last year, please let me know. I'll need to check on email addresses as well. Anyone who needs to communicate with me off the forum can do so through Houzz. I'm enabled to receive mail that way.

  • 5 years ago

    My email address is now carolynnewlen@gmail.com

  • 5 years ago

    The addresses have been emailed. Please let me know if you have not received them, or if you see an error with your own address.

    Sorry for the delay. I have been unable to logon to the RP forum though I can see it to read it. As some of you know, I've asked others to try to logon with mixed results. One suggestion finally worked, and I'll post separately about that.

  • 5 years ago

    Hi Rosefolly, I don't seem to have received your email with the addresses, but I did receive an email about trouble logging in. I also had trouble so thanks for posting that link. Could you resend the addresses to me?

    Rosefolly z5 thanked merryworld
  • 5 years ago

    I didn't get it either. I responded to your earlier message but in case you didn't get that I'm posting here too.

  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Hi Merryworld, I just sent the list again. Perhaps the first attempt ended up in your junk email.

    One of these years I'll get them all to each of you on the first try, and they will all be correct.

    But this I not that year.

  • 5 years ago

    I didn't get it in my mail either, but found it in my Houzz messages, and downloaded it to my PC. Thanks!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked donnamira
  • 5 years ago

    Donnamira, I know I sent it to you and to Merryworld, so I am bewildered. I made a mistake with my cut-and-paste, so I get how I missed Skibby (so sorry, Skibby!), but I am quite bewildered in your cases.

    I think that if we decide to do this next year, I'll have everyone re-send me their current email addresses through Houzz. Then I'll set up a google group for the mailing.

  • 5 years ago

    Rosefolly, no worries! I probably have my Houzz settings messed up for receiving mail. The bottom line is that I have the addresses! (Now to collect/make the bookmarks!).

    Rosefolly z5 thanked donnamira
  • 5 years ago

    I got it! Thanks for resending it. Don't know what happened to the first, not in spam. We had a storm with some power outages, maybe that caused a problem?


    Rosefolly z5 thanked merryworld
  • 5 years ago

    I have received some already and finally got mine mailed out today!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked rouan
  • 5 years ago

    The cards have begun to pour in. Now I have to get on th cards for the rest of my list! Yes, I did these first.


  • 5 years ago

    From Yvonne ...........


    Rosefolly z5 thanked yoyobon_gw
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you for putting that up, Yvonne. I haven't joined in the exchange (postage problems!) but it is lovely to see one of the cards. I always follow the thread and enjoy your delight in receiving them.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago

    Thanks, Yoyo.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    Or as dear? Just kidding; all of mine are very dear to me.

    I just got my cards in the mail today. Of all years, I certainly don't have the excuse that I've been too busy. It just sort of crept up on me. The postal worker that sold me the stamps was super nice, which must be hard this time of year with all the 6' apart, masked, and harried customers,

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    Mine were mailed last week but I figured I’d better explain the wonky postage on them. Since the bookmarks and cards I sent were too “puffy” my cards had to be considered a parcel rather than a standard card. You can imagine the price difference between mailing a card versus mailing a parcel. Oh well! I hope you enjoy them!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked christine_a
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    It's just beautiful, Christine. I had put all my bookmarks for this year in a Christmas mug. Perfect!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • 5 years ago

    Carolyn......you can choose your friends but you inherit your family !

    Rosefolly z5 thanked yoyobon_gw
  • 5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

    Christine,

    You can't imagine what a wonderful surprise and a needed bit of joy your card and bookmark brought this Christmas morning.

    This morning we were greeted by flooding in our entry and garage which is part of our house's footprint. The four feet of snow melted quickly from torrential rains that came down yesterday causing widespread flooding. As my husband drove off in search of a sump pump I tried to sweep the five inches of water out and away. When DH returned , without finding a pump, he picked up our mail from the box at the bottom of our long driveway. Opening your card I was so thrilled with that gorgeous bookmark but especially touched by your thoughtfulness.
    It was exactly what I needed this Christmas morning without friends or family able to be near.

    Yvonne

    Rosefolly z5 thanked yoyobon_gw
  • 5 years ago

    I was impressed with your bookmark, too, Christine, and all the more so when I saw the amount of postage you paid!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    Just opening all our cards now on the afternoon of Christmas Day. I enjoyed them, each and every one, cards and bookmarks alike.

    Christine, you knocked my Christmas socks right off my feet!

  • 5 years ago

    You’re all making me blush with your accolades! I’m so pleased that you all loved the bookmarks as much as I did. I always approach our annual holiday exchange as an opportunity to buy myself a bookmark that I absolutely love and to find a bookmark that I highly doubt anyone has in their collection. You can imagine that it becomes more difficult every year to find a bookmark that meets my my criteria to share with all of you. This year when I found these bookmarks I was ecstatic! I ordered them from Etsy and was waiting with anticipation for their arrival. When I finally received the tracking information that is when I realized that the artist was located in Italy! Anyways, everything worked out and even though these bookmarks ended being pricier than I would normally spend between the cost of the bookmarks and then the extra postage, I figured we all needed a small treat to end this crazy year!

    Yoyobon, I’m so sorry to hear about your flooding issues today. We also had a lot of rain in CT with high winds and we got a bit of water in our basement. Nothing like your catastrophe, but still I had some extra work on a day that no one wants any extra work!

    I wish all of you a very Merry Christmas and here’s hoping that 2021 is a brighter year!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked christine_a
  • 5 years ago

    Christine, can you put up a pix of the bookmark, please?

    OT...We had a very hot Christmas Day, it peaked at around 102F so the only flooding here was with sweat! I stayed at home and received visitors.

    Due to the Chinese Government's ban on our Rock Lobsters for political reasons, this year we have been able to afford this much reduced in price delicacy. My visitors brought me a feast of a cooked tail and other seafood for my Christmas Day supper.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago




    Annpanagain, here are a few pictures of the bookmarks I sent. I believe that I had to order 4 or 5 designs because of what the artist had available And have enough to send out for the exchange.

    The Etsy shop’s name is TinyFeltHeart.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked christine_a
  • 5 years ago

    Christine, thank you. They all look very unusual and charming. No wonder the RP'ers were so happy to receive one!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked annpanagain
  • 5 years ago

    I love all my bookmarks and cards. Thank you all so much!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked skibby (zone 4 Vermont)
  • 5 years ago

    Me, too! This is a lot of fun and something to look forward to receiving among all the zillion catalogs I get in the mail.

    Rosefolly z5 thanked Carolyn Newlen
  • 5 years ago

    Thank you all for the bookmarks! I love this tradition, it's so much fun to get the card and bookmark the mail. Christine, your bookmarks are stunning!

    Rosefolly z5 thanked sheri_z6
  • 5 years ago

    Annpanagain, I have a different bookmark that the artist sent as a thank you that I'd be happy to send to you. If you email me your address, I'll drop them into the mail. My email is 3almeidaboys@att.net. Like many of us, my bookmark collection runneth-over so I'm happy to share!

  • 5 years ago

    Christine, what a kind offer but I shall decline with thanks. I am in Australia and the postage would be expensive. I really appreciate your gesture very much.