SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_349118541

How should I pretty up the front door area?

Emily
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Hi! Our front doorstep is extremely blah and I don't know how to fix it.

I am thinking of painting the door, and we are getting a new storm door (the old one was made of particle board and crumbled away!! You can still see the old frame because it's stuck in the wood trim). I also think it needs more than just light cosmetic help.

Cosmetic issues: What color should I paint the door? And what color storm door should I get? The entire house is this putty color seen here. The doormat is mostly a sponge for rainwater but I don't know what to replace it with, either.

More serious issues: We live in the suburban Midwest but our winters are not too harsh. However, we seem to be having a problem with moisture ruining the wood around the door and the concrete on the front step. It's actually cracked where the step meets the pathway out of the frame of this picture, probably from improper drainage making the ground uneven underneath it. I just don't know where to start with these more serious issues. Can I add an awning? Another gutter? Feeling overwhelmed. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions!

EDIT: the photo is shrunken when I post it. I think if you click on it in the post, it shows the full length of the door and entryway area. I will take another photo tomorrow, though.

Comments (8)