SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessica_gronski

How should I center my front door?

Juice Jucinator
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

We're working on my house with an architect and I'm trying to figure out whether it's more important to center the front door inside the foyer (to give storage on both sides) or to center the front between the porch column and the wall (garage). On the one hand I want to have generous space in foyer for storage, but I'm worried that an asymmetric approach to the front door will make the porch approach not as nice.

Two questions:

1. Are there other ways to create symmetry on the approach to the front door? Option 2.

2. Are there creative ways to make the storage /flow work in an off center foyer like in Option 1.

Option 1. The porch is centered between the post and the wall

Option 2. The dimensions are slightly different (older version of the house), but here the door is more centered inside the entry

Option 3. I tried to imagine a sort of in between version (not as nice as my architects) where you squeeze the front porch a bit to give some more space around the door. But this might not be feasable architecturally (since I did it in procreate). Here the distance between the porch columns is 6-6.5'. Lol probably the porch seating won't work as shown here

Comments (25)