SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

New Apple Crumble -- I did *start* with a recipe!

plllog
3 years ago

I didn't think anything of it, while making the dinner, when I found I didn't have any non-frozen parmesan and substituted 2/3 as much pecorino romano.

But I didn't think I'd have time to make the apple pie that had been languishing as half a dozen medium sized apples (galas and sweeties). They're a bit sweet for pie, but that's what I had. I put a lot of lemon juice in; I think my lemons are bigger and juicier than what was called for, but it was perfect with the sweet apples. Since I thought I didn't have time, I didn't make crusts. It's way too warm here to not chill the dough. So, having more time than I thought, and no pastry, I figured I'd make a crumble. Being beyond thought, I looked up a likely recipe with a flour based topping--sort of straddling the streusel/nutty, crisp/crumble fence.

Great. Simple recipe. But I thought I'd just break up the pecans into the bowl rather than chopping such a small quantity. I did test one as usual. It was fine. But as I was more than half finished, I noticed....larvae. The eggs must have been in the nuts when they were packaged. So I got the next package out and took a good look through the bag. I can't say for sure either way. It could just have been nut crumbs, but I tossed it. I didn't see any problem with the other nuts, but there wasn't enough time to deal with almonds or hazelnuts, which are so much harder, and I didn't want to use pistachios. (No, I don't have any walnuts.)

That's when I went entirely off page. It hurt having to dump 1.5 cups of flour and a cup of brown sugar. Inspiration: I have too many oats! (I didn't think of that when choosing a recipe.) I'd seen proportions from measuring out the recipe. So I dumped some oats in a bowl, melted a stick of butter, threw in a few handfuls of brown sugar, a pinch of salt, a small amount of ground cloves, some more oats, and four pocket packets of trail mix (no candy in them). It was awesome! I mean really awesome. Much better than just pecans, though there were some in the mix. And dried cherries, raisins, etc., seeds, and other nuts. The nuts were soft enough from being stored with the dried fruit. I worried a little that the fruit might be too sweet, but not so! It was just really good! !!!!!!

Comments (4)