SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aliska12000

What will happen when apples start falling on my new hostas?

aliska12000
15 years ago

I had that other thread going. I forgot about my apple tree on the top of the hill right above the hostas. First the little green ones, then later the bigger ones, starting maybe July and running through September even October. Just drat. Well anything I had put there would be the same problem.

How much damage will they do, probably right when they are blooming? They fall around other places, too, but some drop and/or roll right beside those steps on both sides. I'm sure some will plop right smack on top of some.

It probably won't kill them but will surely spoil their looks to the point I may have to have that tree taken down anyway but I'd prefer to have apples and keep the shade it provides. Cut down an apple tree to save free hostas, the irony.

I haven't done the bottles yet, supposed to be lots of rain, but I got my tiller out and cut grooves and dug out all that messy grass and widened it quite a bit so they have room to expand, what a job. Now I want to figure out what kind of edging might look nice and how to install it. I like that scalloped edging but it would interfere with mowing and require more weed whacking or clipping. I got Ortho's equivalent of Grass-B-Gone to try to help keep that horrid grass with runners at bay.

I did think of an idea for the bottles somebody suggested. I've seen things like drip spikes that screw on 3 for too much $. I thought about cutting out the bottom so it would be easier to fill and try to cut a slit in the cap with the exacto blade on my hot knife. Then bury them deep enough so they won't tip over. That would work for other things, too, but I did buy a soaker hose today but not for there.

Hope I didn't mess up any roots with all my chopping out there today, did ruin a leaf, but I put little fence sections to keep them from getting chopped by the tiller. Had to use the shovel once I got a deep groove cut to pry and dig and pick apart all those grass clumps.

Comments (7)