what is the lowest price you remember

sal 60 Hanzlik

for gas. I remember in the late 50's early 60's there were gas wars and it was anywhere from .20 to 25 a gallon. How about you?

SaveComment34Like
Comments (34)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
janey_alabama

I remember .35.

Save    
Elizabeth

29¢ during a gas war in the 1970's

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

In the late 60's in Oklahoma, 25 cents was normal.

2 Likes Save    
georgysmom2

.25 and we got a punch on our card. After so many punches, we got a place setting toward a set of dishes. My first set of kitchen dishes was from buying gas.

1 Like Save    
Lars

In Texas in the early 60s, 19¢ was a common price for gas, but on rare occasions it would go down to 17¢.

1 Like Save    
Martha Scott

As a kid I remember 15 and 18 cents. Even in the 70s it was around 25 cents

Save    
Judy Good

I remember my dad driving 20 Miles to get it 5 gallons for a $1.00, so .20 cents.

Save    
Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)

I can remember 26 cents (25.9 cents) in the 1970s.

The cigarettes my ex-father-in-law smoked were $3.90 per carton. (Raleigh I think)

Save    
dedtired

I remember buying 50 cents worth of gas and going for awhile on that. I clearly remember 25 cents a gallon.

Save    
Lukki Irish

My father used to give me 3 quarters for a can full of gas for the mower and a bottle of pepsi for going. He expected change, .25 for gas, .35 for the drink and two dimes for Dad. I miss having soda in a bottle. Good times.

2 Likes Save    
Uptown Gal

Lukki...Coke and Pepsi still come in bottles (and Root Beer..7-uP) etc. Or did you

mean something other than regular glass bottles? I guess you meant "coke", etc.,

when you used the word Soda? Sorry...I don't know where you are, so maybe you

don't have it available.

Save    
KennsWoods

I remember 18 cents in '64 in CT. IIRC around a buck in the late '70's until the so-called "Arab Oil Embargo" when everything went sideways.

Save    
Lukki Irish

Uptown, I was referring to the bottles pictured below, circa 1970’s. I actually haven’t had a soda in about 10 years but when I was a kid this is what I’d get. They came in a size up (16oz) too.

2 Likes Save    
Rusty

When I was a little kid, 1940's, my dad always bought gas by the dollars' worth, I have no idea how much it was a gallon. Seems like $2.00 worth was his usual purchase.

Rusty

Save    
jupidupi

I don't remember gas, but I do remember splurging on Hostess Cupcakes, two for 12 cents.

1 Like Save    
lily316

20-25 cents in a price war.

Save    
lily316

And Tasty Cake chocolate cupcakes were 3 for a dime.

Save    
sal 60 Hanzlik

And when we were first married 7.00 a wk was more than enough for groceries.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

sal 60 beat me to it.

Don't forget than when gas was at these prices, the average US income was under $6000 per year. Incomes have gone up by a much greater percentage than gas prices. From this focused perspective only, gas is cheaper now than it was then. Cars also get much better mileage now than then so you can go farther on a gallon.

Save    
lily316

My college graduate husband from a prestigious university made under $6000 a year and we bought a house in our early 20's for $15,000 and it was adorable... clapboard with stone fireplace, three bedrooms, screened porch large yard, large rooms, great neighborhood. My husband told my father he hoped to someday make $10,000 a year. O f course by retirement he made almost 10 times that and our daughter makes way more than that as well as her husband so it's all relevant.

1 Like Save    
kadefol

I remember gas at about $1.35 a gallon in CO back in the late 90's, and being annoyed we had to pay that much. A couple years later we moved to TX and gas cost $.99 a gallon. I also remember $50 buying a cart full of groceries, and now it barely buys 2 bags. :)

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"our daughter makes way more than that as well as her husband so it's all relevant."

Maybe you got done-in by a spell checker, I think you meant to say "relative"?

College grads (bachelors degree) with in-demand degrees from decent schools can start north of $60K per year today. Some much higher, depending on the field, and even higher with another few years for a masters degree.

Save    
woodrose

The lowest price for gas I can remember was 25-26 cents a gallon in the early 1970's. There was a gas war between two stations in our local shopping center and the price went up and down a penny. Seems ridiculous now, but back then it was a big deal. I remember our first trip for groceries after moving into our apartment when we were married in 1971. The total came to a whopping $17.00, and that was with buying things like salt, pepper and even a manual can opener, because we had nothing in our kitchen. It doesn't seem like much now, but but it was a lot compared to the amount of a weekly paycheck back then.

Save    
artemis_ma

I remember gas at about 32 to 35 cents a gallon. My parents complained when it went above that.

Save    
caflowerluver

I remember it being 25 cents a gal in the late 1960's early 1970's. That is what I got paid an hour babysitting, 50 cents after midnight. And cigarettes were 50 cents a pack, which I thought was a ridiculous price. That is why I never took up smoking.

Save    
Raye Smith

I remember 18 cents and cars that got 8 mile to the gallon.

Save    
ci_lantro

I remember 16 & 17 cents a gallon early sixties, Oklahoma, during gas wars.

1 Like Save    
nickel_kg

the price went up and down a penny ... still a big deal to some in my family. How far they drive to save a penny a gallon is ridiculous, but I gave up fighting that battle long ago.

Save    
matthias_lang

I don't remember gasoline prices either from when I was first driving, or from when I was a child, but I do remember that my parents might dive up to a service station with all six kids. The attendant would come and give each kid a piece of Double-Bubble gum, check the oil, top it off if need be, clean the front and back windows while the gas was pumping, and give Mom or Dad their premium glass or Melmac coffee cup or saucer if they had gotten a full tank's worth. At some point all the kids had been given a green, waxy-plastic brontosaurus toy from whatever oil company used that as their logo. Funny, I cannot remember the company now.

Sometimes we kids would get out of the car and jump on the pressurized air hose that was meant to ring a bell when a car rolled into the station. I can still almost hear that "Ding-Ding!" But we'd be in trouble for jumping on the hose. My poor parents.

Save    
matthias_lang

Oh, I just looked it up. Sinclair used the bronto logo.

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

.28 a gallon when I was mowing lawns as a teen

Save    
lily316

Yeah, Elmer, relative is the word I meant. I need to proofread my posts. I can't blame it on spell-check. , When we were first married we'd spend around $10 dollars a week at the grocery store. And every Friday we had lobster tail. My husband smoked then and cigarettes cost less than a quarter because when you used the vending machine there would be pennies in the cellophane if you put a quarter in. I never smoked in my life and he stopped at age 24.

Save    
Annie Deighnaugh

I remember 19¢ and Dad griping about it when it broke 20. Of course, back then pricing including the 9 mils made sense. Now the 9 mils is simply an artifact, esp when prices went up to $4 a gallon.

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I remember 19 cents per gallon also - early 1970s (1971-74ish).

Good point about wages and relative cost - as a university graduate in my first job, I earned less than 5k per year. And I remember getting a 3 cent per hour raise (and some of the "auxiliary" staff only a penny).

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
For Pros Designing a Business: How Do I Set My Pricing Structure?
Design business coach Chelsea Coryell breaks down how home pros can determine what to charge for their services
Full Story
Home Tech The Price of Storage: What to Consider When Saving to the Cloud
Free photo storage can come at a price. Here’s what to know about free and paid cloud services
Full Story
Art Let's Put a Price on Art: Your Guide to Art Costs and Buying
We paint you a picture of what affects an artwork's price — plus a little-known way to take home what you love when it's beyond your budget
Full Story
At Bull Run Kitchen and Bath, we are dedicated to providing professional service and work hard to ensure that our... Read More
Premier Floors Inc. is a general contractor offering remodeling and construction services. As a top contractor,... Read More