Small kitchen appliances/gadgets

Lucille

One of the things I would occasionally enjoy BC (before Covid) was to visit a thrift store and just look around and see what was interesting. So a couple weeks ago I went and browsed an online thrift store (shopgoodwill.com) looking for kitchen stuff. I had lost a lot in the Harvey flood and most was never replaced, and in addition since I'm spending most of my time inside I've been doing a lot of cooking so gadgets can be fun..

So I got a replacement for my late Breville pizza maker, a food processor, a Breville panini press, and an air fryer.

One does not get the same kind of great deals as one finds 'in person' because of the shipping charges, but I went looking for items described as new, like new, or open box and ended up paying around half retail.

Will be using the air fryer for the first time later today, but everything else is terrific, used the panini press yesterday to make a grilled cheese and it was fast and wonderful.

Have you found any new interesting kitchen stuff lately?

SaveComment22Like1
Comments (22)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
georgysmom2

I just got a new automatic can opener. I have no idea how it works....bought it from Amazon. I'll report back after I use it. :-)))

1 Like Save    
Jasdip

I'm not thrilled with my food processor. I've had it for a few years, and it's an all-in-1, but I don't want to buy a new one and then have to try and sell this one.

Save    
marilyn_c

I always look at kitchen stuff in thrift shops, but the only thing I've bought recently was a vintage, but like new electric skillet. It is oil core, stainless steel. One of the things I always look for, although not gadgets, and very hard to find now, are cooking utensils...old ones with brightly colored handles or handles with designs, that are stainless. It is one of the few things I collect any more, and I have gazillions of them. I buy them at flea markets too. I am not big on gadgets that are electrical and take up a lot of space. I have a hand mixer, a KitchenAid mixer, a crock pot, and a rice cooker. I only use the crock pot when I cook beans and I really don't need the rice cooker because I can make rice on the stove top. I also recently bought a clear glass Pyrex casserole dish (I guess that is what it is...has a lid and is oval but fairly tall) and I bought a glass Pyrex percolator. I like good quality, made in USA older items. Oh, and knives. I bought a set of Wolfgang Puck kitchen knives.

Save    
marilyn_c

Georgysmom just reminded me I need a new can opener. I took mine to the barn to open cat food cans.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

I bought myself a new can opener too. I wanted a manual one, so I got the Swing Away one with the long handle. Great for opening great big cans. Opens little cans too. I do have an electric can opener but wanted something if the electricity goes out, which it does once in awhile.

Sue

Save    
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

My 37+ year old Oscar food processor is starting to fail - the part inside that grabs the blade post and spins must be worn, because it stops or won't ever spin when there is something in the bowl. This gadget was a real workhorse that I used regularly - prefer it to my nutribullet because I could control the degree of chop/puree better, and the bowl is much more accessible.

I am sad and I need to find a replacement.

I do love the nutribullet to puree soups and make smoothies, though. I grind my coffee beans in it too.

Save    
nicole___

I was in ACE Hardware awhile back. They had a 90% off bin near the register. I picked up an extra smooth edge manual can opener for $2. A jar opener, $1.

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

Two small kitchen items I really like:

Kuhn Rikon can opener that cuts the lid off on the side under the thick rim so that it can be easily removed by holding the outside rim edge of the can top. No sharp spots and no mess playing with the top, or having the top drop into the contents.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I7GST2/?tag=se-equipment-20

Brix jar opener, that I think I learned about on this forum. Easy to use, works well

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/brix-jarkey-jar-opener-in-red/1010760348?skuId=10760348&mcid=OS_googlepla

1 Like Save    
chickadee2_gw

I just ordered one of these foam skimming spoons yesterday after finding it annoying trying to remove the foam from the top of a large pot of soup stock with a regular spoon. I think it will come in handy removing other bits and pieces for a sauce or gravy like it shows in one the pictures.

https://www.amazon.com/TEMCHY-Hot-Pot-Skimmer-Spoon/dp/B06XP8LPCL/ref=sr_1_2?crid=23TCFESC8Z7GN&dchild=1&keywords=temchy+hot+pot+fat+skimmer+spoon&qid=1603218787&sprefix=Temchy%2Caps%2C155&sr=8-2

1 Like Save    
Save    
patriciae_gw

There was a time in my life that I was the Empress of gadgets, so much so that my friends gave me a gadget shower when I got married the first time but time passed and I scaled back to the Queen, princess and then to the Duchess. Well my house burned down with all my gadgets. I made a huge pile of kitchen pans and also gadgets to photo because who would believe a person could have so much of that sort of stuff? I did have a remarkable collection of single purpose pans-old stuff, good tinned rings, forms and so forth. Now I try to keep my collection under control though I still love a gadget. When you do your homeowners insurance you ought to go through a few kitchen drawers. The amount of money in a drawer is staggering. I still try to ratchet back. I need a new can opener though. I have one that takes the top off but it leaves a lethal edge. I just use a normal one that is getting iffy.

Save    
Lucille

I am sorry to hear about the fire. Patriciae. Many of my gadgets including my beloved Kitchen Aid mixer were lost to the Harvey flood. I did not replace them. But here lately, a new delight with cooking has come upon me and I am enjoying the new gadgets.

I think that with gadgets and everything else, a few well chosen useful items may be best. I am enjoying my air fryer, I didn't have one of those before.

1 Like Save    
olychick

I've had a Melitta coffee bean grinder for at least 40 years, I think. It works still, but I just hate the mess it makes on the counter when removing the lid. Coffee grounds anywhere but in the filter drive me insane. So for a covid shut-down treat, I bought an Oxo burr grinder. It's so wonderful, but guess what? It also makes a mess. :-( I'm doomed to live with stray coffee grounds I guess.

My electric water kettle bit the dust a few weeks ago so I sent for a new one. I didn't research as much as I have in the past, but ended up with one that I think I overpaid for that has features I don't need...like temp control for different kinds of tea. I drink a cup of tea once a year maybe, but the thing I DO like about it is it has a keep warm feature. I always turn on the kettle to heat water for my one cup of pour over coffee, then walk away and it heats up, then turns off, then when I get back to it I have to reheat it. This one keeps it hot for a period of time (30 min?) and I really like that.

I guess these are appliances more than gadgets.

Save    
lisa_fla

I like older good quality kitchen items too. I have a sunbeam single hot dog cooker that steams the bun that sits on top. Perfect hot dog every time. I have all sorts of old serving spoons and small items from garage sales and estate sales. A new purchase this year- totally frivolous-an egg cooker. LOL who can’t cook an egg? Still it’s so easy to make hard boiled, soft boiled, poached turn it on and walk away. When DH was thinking about trying coffee made in a percolator I bought him several nice ones from yard sales to find the perfect cup of coffee. The winner- a Farberware. Marilyn some Pyrex percolators were recalled long ago for the pot dropping off the handle. If it’s the white and blue one, check that out. I’ve been doing a lot of cooking since I’m home so much these days too.

Save    
marilyn_c

It is the clear glass one, like the one my mother used about 60 yrs ago.

Save    
Lucille

Th post is somewhat off topic, but it is about new kitchen stuff. I have seen where a couple members here have birds. I just wanted to point out that a lot of the new little gadgets/appliances have Teflon, as do some new light bulbs. Overheated Teflon is not good for birds, so I just thought I'd put a brief reminder.

Now back to your regular programming :)

Save    
patriciae_gw

There are things I no longer cook after my house fire(stuck by lightening in 1993) It is a bad thing to have happen, I suspect a flood is as bad :(

I had all sorts of tools. Crimpers and fluters, and rollers of different sorts, Things for molding, tiny pans for specialty tarts, shapers, candy weights, specialty forks, dockers, every doohickey you never heard of. People gave them to me and some times we did not know what you did with them. There were bean stringers, and various pitters and specialty graters. Old tools were so well made. I did have a few old appliances like a thing for making mini corn muffins or cooking bacon-you flipped something over. It seemed an odd combo. They would be beautiful but iffy electrically. I have never been big on single use electrics but DH on the other hand loves a appliance. Sigh.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

I have both items that @Elmer J Fudd posted above. Love both of them and did find them mentioned here at Houzz. Don't recall the ones who posted about the jar opener, but @lonejack was the one I recall posting about the Kuhn Rikon can opener. I ordered it from the ink above. There was a learning curve on how to use it; finally found a useful video on YouTube that actually showed the trick to know when using the opener. There are a lot of videos on how to use the opener, but this is the only one that was actual useful to me How to Correctly Use Kuhn Rikon Can Opener. Once I learned, I love it and have decided to purchase some for Christmas gifts. It actually leaves no sharpness around the lid to cut yourself on (I speak from experience). Just found this video which is also useful. Video II

Save    
Judy Good

I cannot live without my toaster oven, just purchased a new one today.

Save    
bob_cville

Its not really a gadget, but I just got a new chefs knife for my birthday. (I was actually given a paring knife, but it didn't match the rest of my knife set.) I went to the store it was from to see is they had the same handle style as my other set. They only had one of that type Henkel's 4 star, a paring knife that was identical to one I already had. It was also clear from the prices that the one I was given was a much higher quality than my existing knives.

I hemmed and hawed about what to do, and finally decided to get the chef's knife from that higher quality set which was on a special loss-leader sale, at 59.99, just 10 dollars that the paring knife I had been given.

The new knife is so insanely sharp. I knew my existing knives were somewhat dull, especially the chefs knife that I use most often, but the difference is startling. I know the old saying about a dull knife being more dangerous, because you have to use more force, but I'd say a sharp knife is much more dangerous, especially if you are used to less sharp ones.

2 Likes Save    
desertsteph

There are a lot of videos on how to use the opener, but this is the only one that was actual useful to me How to Correctly Use Kuhn Rikon Can Opener.

I like the video demo by QVC for that can opener. that's where I first saw it demonstrated. It shows how to use the 'beak' on the side of it to pull the lid of the can off. I've been using it for over a decade.

Save    
WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a

The only thing about the QVC videos for the can opener is they do not show how the underside two round objects have to be positioned before putting the opener on the can top. That is why I liked the two videos I linked; they showed how the two objects had to be wide apart before putting on the can to begin the opening process.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design The Best Places to Stash Small Kitchen Appliances
Tucked-away places like nooks, pantries and dedicated cabinets keep your kitchen gadgets handy but out of the way
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen Design Fix: How to Fit an Island Into a Small Kitchen
Maximize your cooking prep area and storage even if your kitchen isn't huge with an island sized and styled to fit
Full Story
Kitchen Design Kitchen of the Week: Small Kitchen, Big View
New bay window and smart storage gives this 12-foot-wide Philadelphia kitchen breathing room
Full Story
We offer a unique combination of design flexibility, product quality, expressive creative options, craftmanship... Read More
Adaptiv is a full-service, interior/exterior design firm that provides clients with unique, customized solutions... Read More