Comfort foods when ill

agmss15

I have been thinking about comfort foods of late. I think we all get especially conservative about eating when we don’t feel good.

My mom’s partner has not been feeling great. He was recently diagnosed with Lyme’s and is being treated. She has been very worried and been trying to make nice meals for him. At the end of my dad’s battle with cancer his wife did the same for him.

In both cases it doesn’t quite work because everyone’s comfort food is different. My mom is a good cook, an adventurous eater and from a cosmopolitan jewish background. Her partner is none of the above. He is generally appreciative of having decent food around but goes to Burger King whenever he can. He doesn’t really want Borscht.

My dad married a Taiwanese woman late in life and generally was open and curious about her culture and cuisine. That said as he went through his illness he really wanted the comfort foods of Brooklyn be it a Reuben or chicken noodle soup.

What are your comfort foods? How fussy do you get when you aren’t feeling great?

SaveComment11Like
Comments (11)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lizbeth-gardener

Some of the foods that I usually want if my stomach has been upset are: chicken and noodles and mashed potatoes or chicken soup, bananas, soda crackers, applesauce and fresh or canned pears. I want something very bland-usually no dairy or fatty foods.

Save    
amylou321

I don't really find comfort in food. When I don't feel well I don't really have an appetite. But when I do eat when I feel bad it has to be something familiar. But nothing specific.

I don't want borscht either.

Save    
annie1992

I love borscht!

When I'm sick, though, I don't want anything. I sleep, make a cup of tea or have some ginger ale, go back to sleep. I don't want anyone to talk to me, take care of me, bring me a blanket, whatever. I want everyone to leave me alone and other than a sip of whatever, I want nothing.

My Grandmother used to try to make me eat toast soaked in warm milk, or saltine crackers crumbled into warm milk. I'd be sick just thinking about trying to eat it. She called them "soda crackers", and occasionally I'd eat one dry with a cup of tea, just to make her go away.

Annie

Save    
plllog

It depends on the kind of sick. I get a lot of respiratory infections, and for that I want things that hold a hot temperature, and also spicy things. Spicy (black or chili pepper, more than garlic or ginger) because not only can one taste it all stuffed up, but it helps with the congestion. For any kind of really feel bad, toast and jam (I rarely eat either otherwise) or stiff, unsweetened oatmeal. For digestive sick, also the classic crackers and gingerale (with sugar in), followed by plain yoghurt as soon as possible (preferably White Mountain), perhaps with a drop of honey. But for a more out of sorts than really sick thing, it's TJ's version of tater tots, well done and crunchy with ketchup (never eat them otherwise). Anywhere along the way there's also chicken and chicken soup, but that's because protein makes you feel strong more than "comfort" food. When I don't feel well, I don't want "wet", so mostly no fruit, though maybe some fresh fruit juice, and veg better in a mixed dish than my usual piled on a plate. I know I'm feeling better when I can face a salad again. :)

Save    
Islay Corbel

Soft boiled egg and toast soldiers.

2 Likes Save    
agmss15

I am the same. I might not mind someone cooking or making me tea but mostly want to be left alone when ill.

I had been taking my mom to town once a week just to give her partner a break from her concern. She does anxious really intensely and expresses affection with cooking. I think he is a bit better and she is trying to drag him off the couch and out into the brave new world.

I did bring them some lentil soup that he enjoyed. I need to remember that the quantity is almost as important as the quality. Too much food when one is feeling off is awful. After what must have been serious negotiation on their part I was informed that I am allowed to bring more soup. I think I will make a few big pots of different soups and freeze portions for them. I was thinking lentil, chicken and maybe beef barley...

1 Like Save    
colleenoz

Depends on the illness. But if I want food, it's baked custard and weak black tea, just like Mom used to give me. Or any kind of custard, clear chicken soup or plain chicken sandwiches on white bread.

Save    
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

I am rarely ever ill....usually just a bad cold at worst and even those are not frequent. My sources of comfort are hot tea with lemon and honey, Canada Dry ginger ale, chicken noodle soup (and sorry to offend but only canned!) and scrambled eggs and toast.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

If I have a head cold it really doesn't matter much what I eat as I can't taste it much. But I do still eat the same amounts. In the rare occasions that I have had the flu I don't eat much but try to keep hydrated by drinking juices, water, and 7-UP. Maybe chicken noodle or chicken and rice soup from a can.

If I am in extreme pain, like when I had a bad case of sciatica a couple years ago, I don't eat much of anything at all. I lost about 15 lbs. during the time it took to recover from that.

Save    
agmss15

I am making vegetable and chicken broth today. I woke up to the first hard freeze this AM. It is time for soups and stews.

1 Like Save    
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Sometimes I've craved weird unhealthy things when I'm sick - like potato chips or greasy pizza or hot cocoa.

But I haven't been sick yet this year, and I hope I don't jinx myself stating that. I've felt under the weather a number of times with headaches and upset stomach from stress and anxiety, but that's not exactly the same, IMO. I did seek comfort though - mostly with TV and books, since eating wasn't something I felt like doing then.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Small Spaces Cottages: The Comfort Food of Architecture
Soul satisfying and as snug as a favorite sweater, a cottage knows how to roll out the welcome mat
Full Story
Dining Rooms How to Seat Your Dinner Guests in Comfort
Instead of reaching for pillows and footstools when you dine, settle in with dining tables and chairs that fit the room and body
Full Story
Decorating Guides Lessons in Living Comfortably: Embrace the Scratches and Dents
When you celebrate wear and tear, you send a message that your home is designed for relaxation
Full Story