Red raspberry pie

Rose Pekelnicky

I have some red raspberries in my garden. Among other things, I have made a couple of pies. Recipes call for 1 cup of sugar to 4 cups of berries but it seems too sour to me. Anyone else make red raspberry pie? What do you use?

SaveComment10Like
Comments (10)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
plllog

A cup of sugar in a recipe for a standard fruit pie is very common. I use a lot less sugar. because I like that better. You need a lot of sugar if you want a jammy filling, less if you want to maintain the shapes of slices or small berries. Without sugar, there's no pie goo. With extra sugar, you get a sweeter pie, and perhaps runnier goo. A little tapioca starch or arrowroot or cornstarch or flour (my order of preference, though others have different druthers) will firm up the goo.

Always taste your berries--a couple of them--to get an idea of what the bowl of them taste like. If they're like the ones that were too sour, add an extra tablespoon or five of sugar, to your taste. Keep making pies and after awhile you'll get a sense of how much sugar you need to get the flavor you like for that day's fruit.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
Sherry

I haven't made raspberries, but do make blackberry cobbler. An exact measurement is not possible, because the berries vary. I like to cover the berries with a cup of sugar, toss, and let sit a few minutes. Try a berry or two. If it doesn't taste sweet, it won't taste like a dessert and you need to add some more sugar. Repeat until the berry tastes like dessert. The advantage to this is you will get juice that can be thickened with cornstarch for the pie.

Save    
Martha Scott

Our DD made a raspberry pie that was amazing -- they are a bit more tart than a blueberry pie but are they ever good. Her opinion was frozen raspberries work better than fresh. She got the recipe on line and I think she used the Betty Crocker one -- google.

Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
arcy_gw

We make Raspberry Glace, not baked. Betty Crocker's recipe is one quart of berries to a cup of sugar. If it's too tart to you add more....

1 Like Save     Thanked by Rose Pekelnicky
maifleur03

Old trick for berry pie is to add just a little bit of lemon and salt to the berries. By little bit I mean perhaps juice from half of a small lemon and 1/4 teaspoon or large pinch of salt depending on your hand size.

Marilyn_Sue

I know the black raspberry pies I make take more than a cup of sugar, so just add to your liking. I also like sprinkling white sugar on the top crust before baking, don't have to brush with anything. My pies are not small ones, usually ten inch ones.

Sue

stacey_mb

Rose, I am happy to come over to your house to "test" your pie to ensure that it has the correct amount of sugar. I will bring the whipped cream! lol!

chloebud

I'll tag along with Stacey. Love raspberries! :-)

l pinkmountain

My fall raspberries that I used to have in the garden at my last place were two season ones, early summer and late fall. The fall ones were more tart, even for tart berries . . . I usually mix my raspberries with apples in the fall or some other fruit so they pie isn't so seedy. Miss my berries at my new place. I planted some black raspberries but those are summer ones. I might have to carve out a spot for some fall ones. I forgot how much fun they were when everything else was winding down . . . like that last rose of summer . . .

Rose Pekelnicky

These are the kind that give 2 crops and I am now getting the fall crop. Next pie I am going to increase the sugar

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Color Color Feast: When to Use Red in the Dining Room
It awakens appetites and spurs conversations, but too much is like a second helping of pie. Find the perfect balance of dining room red here
Full Story
Red Ravishing Reds, Pinks and Purples for Fall 2012
Whether you love a fine wine color or go cuckoo for berry, this season's runways are offering some hues for your home to savor
Full Story
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: Remodel Reveals a Pied-à-Terre’s Rustic Charms
In this San Francisco condo, a designer uncovers a steel beam, teak floors and tons of character
Full Story