SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annie1992_gw

Gluten Free Sweet Potato Torte and Raspberry Cream Pie

annie1992
6 years ago

I didn't take pictures of Thanksgiving dinner, as usual, I got busy trying to get everything on the table and served while still warm. I did get some pictures of the appetizers, which included Pimento Cheese, a cream cheese and salsa dip, home canned pickles and olives, crackers and chips, as well as deviled eggs:

Madi and Maci busied themselves making Thanksgiving placemats for everyone. My favorite had an elephant in the pine trees. Why? Because elephants are cool. Yeah, how do you argue with that, LOL

Although we had turkey and two kinds of dressing and green beans with bacon and chipotle mashed sweet potatoes and sweet potato casserole with marshmallows and homemade rolls and fruit salad, you'll have to trust me on that, because I didn't take a single picture. I made Nancy's gluten free dinner rolls and forgot to put them on the table for Amanda, but she just took them home with some turkey and said she'd be having turkey sandwiches later, so they were not wasted.

I got pictures of the desserts, though. I made a Raspberry Cream Pie for my mother, with the raspberries that I spent all summer picking and freezing, one cup at a time. She loved it, I thought it needed a layer of dark chocolate in there somewhere....

As I've mentioned, my oldest daughter is both celiac and lactose intolerant. I had a "Gluten Free Holidays" magazine lying on the counter a few weeks ago and told her to pick out a dessert. She chose a gluten free Sweet Potato Torte, made with coconut milk. As always, the directions said to roll the crust. It's nearly impossible to roll any gluten free crust I've ever made, so I ended up pressing it into the springform pan, then adding the filling. I'd cooked the sweet potatoes the night before so I could make the casserole and the chipotle mashed sweet potatoes, so I just beat the sweet potatoes up with the mixer until they were smooth. The torte was actually delicious, and no one could tell the crust was gluten free, I was very impressed with it. I think I'd even bake the filling without the crust, it would make a wonderful custard too.

Now I'm already on to my Christmas baking! How did everyone else survive their Thanksgiving?

Annie

Comments (14)