SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Plumbing connections in concrete? Tile bathroom before or after tub?

Peke
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

We are moving a shower wall/back of old closet 15-20" back to make room for a tub. The concrete will be removed so the copper lines and drain can be moved. There are additional lines that go to another bathroom.

1. One plumber said he would bend the current vertical copper pipe down into the trench, add connections, and add a new vertical line in the new wall. I thought connections were not supposed to be in concrete.

Another plumber said he would cut off the vertical copper line, add connections in the trench, add new horizontal and vertical lines to the new shower head and tub spout wall. Again, this would mean connections would be in the concrete.

What materials should they use? Copper or PEX or ????

I thought connections were not supposed to be in concrete. One plumber said that as long as I don't add square footage to the house, that the connections in concrete are okay. That makes no sense to me.

2. The water lines coming into our house are in a wall about 8 ft away. Could new lines for the shower head and tub spout be routed through the wall and around the corner? I know they would still need to dig in the concrete for the new drain, but that is only 12" compared to moving the old lines back 18". Total concrete trench would be 30". 12" sounds better to me. They would still need to cap off the old lines in the concrete and still have connections inside the concrete.

3. Are there better solutions?

4. We need to make the bathroom floor match the higher height of the hall floor. The bathroom floor is about 1.5-2.5" lower. We want to tile on top of the old black marble. Can we make up some of the height difference by adding plywood on top of the old marble, then tile on top of the plywood?

5. When does the tile get installed? Before or after tub? Before or after cabinets?

Code

Code or not to code...that is the question! Thanks.

The drain needs moved back to where the current shower head wall is. I would like to move the faucet controls on the back wall instead of under the shower head. We will put a pony wall on the end where the stool is in the picture. I want a glass panel on the pony wall, but I don't know if the pony wall will be sturdy enough. The tub door is a folding glass screen that is 48" wide. The tub is 60" x 32".

Water lines coming into the house.

The picture above shows the 90° corner leading to the shower head wall on the left.

Comments (17)