As the Leaves Fall: October Reading
6 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (82)
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
Related Discussions
October reading (and the last few days of September)
Comments (150)Put down the Kim Edwards book of short stories. They just weren't reading well and when it takes four or more days for me to finish a book, that's a sign of problems for the book (i.e. I don't like it). So now on to "Moral Disorder" by Margaret Atwood which will be a quick read. I am loving it so far. Going to a Witches' Brew tea party this afternoon. I have my hat ready and will be dressed in black. Anyone care to come with me?...See MoreOctober Reading -- Happy Fall
Comments (92)Finished Kathleen Tessaro's "Debutante". Not exactly "chick lit." since it doesn't stress designer clothes or "looking for 'Mr. Right' ". Has depth of character and good background development. One of the characters is partly based on the Mitford sisters. It jumps back-and-forth from a modern-day woman to a back-in-time woman. The woman from the past is revealed through a series of letters she wrote, which pop up in each chapter. A unique, intriguing way to tell a tale; but then I like these sort of parallel universe stories. In the Author's Note section I was disgusted to learn of how people (mostly women, it seems) were locked away in institutions for no good reason. In one case they only had typhoid (no mental problems), and after they were cured, they were kept locked up ... some of them for 60 years ! ! The cure for typhoid was discovered in the 1950s ... some of those women were locked up till the 1990s ! And this -- two women were listed in Burkes Peerage as having died, when they were very much alive -- were cousins of the late Queen Mother. It seems the girls' parents didn't want to deal with their upbringing; so just left them at an "institution" for life. They were later joined by three of their first cousins -- also retarded. One of those girls was sent on to Ketwin House, which was closed down amid allegations of sexual and other abuse. Her "stay" there had been paid by the NHS !! -- even though her family was wealthy. These sorts of things make my blood run cold. And to think, these are perpetrated by intelligent people. And -- worst of all --- in the case of children -- they were put there -- and abandoned, sounds like -- by THEIR OWN PARENTS....See MoreReading in October
Comments (94)I've finished another Ilona Andrews, Gunmetal Magic, and I think I've now read everything the authors currently have in print. I'm completely hooked and I'm eagerly awaiting Sweep in Peace, which comes out on Kindle sometime in November. I also finished Celia's House by D.E. Stevenson, which was charming and sweet in a classic English-Countryside-Between-the-Wars sort of way. My library requests for the rest of the Max Tudor mystery series by G.M. Malliet have come through, and I have four books waiting to be collected tomorrow. I'm looking forward to those. Lemonhead, I have The Queen's Houses on my Christmas list, I'd delighted to hear you liked it....See MoreWhat are we reading in October 2019?
Comments (131)Lucky Annie, you get to immerse yourself in Moscow for a transcendent reading experience! It was definitely one of those books that left me so sad to come to the last page. I"m in the midst of reading one of the JA Jance Joanna Brady/JP Beaumont series of mysteries. This one is Fire and Ice, and although it's listed as a Beaumont mystery (I've not read that series from its start) it is actually a dual storyline book; each character alternates chapters. They are working separate cases but eventually they will dovetail and the protagonists will connect. I want to thank the person, apologies for not recalling exactly who, that recommended the Joanna Brady books. Love them, and reading one is definitely literary comfort food. I know I'll get solid characters, an intriguing mystery and a sense I've checked in with some virtual friends....See More- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years agolast modified: 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
- 5 years ago
Related Stories

GARDENING GUIDESFall Is Calling: What to Do in Your October Garden
Get a jump on winter prep or just sit back and watch the leaves fall. The beauty of an autumn garden is in all the choices you have
Full Story
FALL GARDENING5 Ways to Put Fall Leaves to Work in Your Garden
Improve your soil and yard the organic way with a valuable garden booster that grows on trees
Full Story
EVENTSHighlights From This Fall’s Design Happenings
Watch for these interesting design events, house tours and museum exhibitions beginning this October
Full Story
FALL GARDENINGMake This Fall’s Garden the Best Ever
Learn the most important tip for preventing buyer’s remorse, plus get more valuable buying and planting advice
Full Story
MONTHLY HOME CHECKLISTSTo-Dos: Your October Home Checklist
As temperatures drop and leaves start to turn and fall, prep for winter weather and enjoy the colors of the season
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESGreat Lakes Gardener's October Checklist
Enjoy nature's fall finery while stockpiling leaves, bringing delicate perennials indoors and grabbing some pumpkins for decorating
Full Story
LIFETo-Dos: Your October Home Checklist
It’s a great time to clean your gutters, swap out seasonal clothes and wallow in favorite fall traditions. What’s on your October list?
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES10 Perfect Pairings of Reading Chair and Lamp
Up your reading style and comfort with these chair and lamp combos too cozy to leave
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES9 Easy Ways to Decorate With Autumn Leaves
Give your home a burst of color that can be used Halloween through Thanksgiving
Full Story
REGIONAL GARDEN GUIDESCentral Plains Gardener's October Checklist
Fall foliage color and crisp mornings, plus mulching beds and planting spring bulbs, make October a gardener's heaven
Full Story
yoyobon_gw