Frozen pizza crusts

Lucille

I was thinking of making pizza crusts and freezing them. My freezer above the refrigerator is small but would definitely hold 12 inch crusts. My Zojirushi bread maker makes enough dough for 3 or 4 small pizzas at a time. Has anyone frozen pizza crusts or even a home made pizza with sauce and cheese?

SaveComment14Like
Comments (14)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeperblues

My husband loves Papa Murphy's pizza, which are bought fresh but he always buys a couple and freezes the other one. Seems fine if it's thawed before baking. They are loaded with cheese and other toppings. I would say it would be fine to freeze.

Save    
Judy Good

I would not think it would be any different than any other frozen pizza. Maybe try one or two first and see how you like them.

Save    
shirl36

I make pizza crust in Zorjirushi also. Any extra dough left from first pizza I roll out.....prebake 3minutes.....cool...wrapped well and freeze. Crust is ready to assemble pizza when ready for next pizza. I find it works well for me. Just the two of us now,....not 3 extra hungry kids...don’t need so much pizza at a time.

Save    
nicole___

My mother used to freeze unbaked, fully loaded pizzas, they fermented. ☺ The secret to that is, put them into the oven still frozen. I've frozen cooked, left over pizza.

Save    
adellabedella_usa

I haven't tried it. My preference would be to freeze the crust and add fresh veggie toppings later. Meat and sauce wouldn't matter so much. Cheese does what cheese does. It would probably be ok.

Save    
aok27502

I have a favorite pizza dough recipe, which makes several. I freeze the dough in balls, then thaw and shape when I'm ready for it.

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

My mother used to freeze unbaked, fully loaded pizzas, they fermented.

Whaaaaat?

Save    
Elmer J Fudd

"I would not think it would be any different than any other frozen pizza."

Commercial frozen foods are flash frozen, quickly and under very low temperatures. What happens in a home freezer is very different.

Save    
joann_fl

Yes, you can freeze them. I would bake the crust 5 min then freeze it.

Save    
Bluebell66

We grill individual size pizza and always make extra crust for the freezer. We grill one side, let cool and then freeze. It's still really good, but doesn't taste exactly the same as making fresh crust. Convenience sometimes wins over fresh!

1 Like Save    
wildchild2x2

Most doughs freeze very well. You can freeze yeast doughs before or after the first rise. For pizza I would let it rise, than roll out and stack with parchment between, put in a freezer bag or a Tupperware round "pie keeper". Do no pre-bake. That will give you the frozen pizza effect. Thaw it out loosely covered, never in plastic wrap or sealed.

Save    
Lars

I agree with freezing the dough instead of the pizza. If you start making small batches of dough, you might find that easy as well. I generally make enough dough for two pizzas and leave half the dough in the fridge for two days, and that works well for me.

2 Likes Save    
Lucille

I bought some 12 inch round cardboard (made for cakes/pizza) to give a bit of support to the flat dough but I agree with Wildchild about parchment also. Will probably use freezer bags.

I also am thinking of not prebaking, it seems like that would kill the yeast, and a little rise while thawing sounds like a good thing.

Save    
Debby

I have made pizza dough and frozen them quite often. I wrap them tightly, but not *too* tightly is plastic wrap. The dough will still rise a bit as it freezes. I thaw them on the counter for several hours before rolling out for pizza.

eta: I just form the pizza dough into a ball when I freeze it, then when it's completely thawed and it rises some more (you have to take the plastic wrap off) I let it rise more then roll it out to form the pizza.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Great Home Projects How to Get a Pizza Oven for the Patio
New project for a new year: Light a fire under plans for an outdoor oven and claim the best pizza in town
Full Story
Home Tech 3 Kitchen Contraptions You Won’t Believe
Pizza hot from the printer, anyone? These cooking gadgets harness imagination and high tech — and have price tags to match
Full Story
Apartment Life Warm Up Fall With an Apple Pie Party at Home
A pie enthusiast shares a recipe, ideas for pretty crusts, and tips on how she makes the most of her rental kitchen
Full Story