Stocking up on food, seed...

agmss15

I am not a prepper but I do feel this moment in history encourages having more basic foods on hand. And as a gardener seeds also seem like a good idea - there was an incredible rush on seed last spring.

My mom and I just received a seed order of Microgreen and vegetable seeds - sunflowers, peas, buckwheat, kale, alfalfa radishes, mustard and then for next year tomatoes and peppers. And then a friend sent me a message gifting me pound bags of Cressida, red garnet amaranth and beet/chard mix seed.

I still have plenty of food coming from the garden so I won’t really get into Microgreen growing for awhile. But it was a great addition to winter eating...

SaveComment19Like
Comments (19)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds

Heh, I am a prepper. And yep due to times and still getting over some illness and injury, I've bumped my usual larder up this year.

I tend to start ordering my seeds kind of early- Nov/Dec. anyway. This year though... I put in my orders this week just to be sure I got what I want.

Due to the times, I wasn't able to get out for my usual spring rounds of all the little places selling packets for my fill ins. I'm anticipating the possibility that I won't be doing my usual rounds of the stores next spring either. So made orders to a couple vendors I more typically get in-person when I can.

Save    
agmss15

I am not quite organized enough to be a prepper. Do you have a system to keep your inventory rotating?

I need to work on my canning skills. I have a freezer but that depends on power - which can and does go out here pandemic or no. I dry herbs but this year I dried a bit more veggies and a lot of apples.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I plan on ordering a bit earlier. Not much needed but do know I need carrot seed. I jumped up when I saw this post and put a note on my baby watermelon and the winter squash from Misfits, 'save seed'. (I keep forgetting)

My pantry has multiplied. The usuals we always buy and consume but just more of it. That is mostly due to the fact that our main supplier is a wholesaler. (five pound bag of wild rice, etc, though good prices)

Garden may double/triple next year. Neighbors/friends have shown interest in learning and helping out to share the rewards. I could use some help so that is a win-win. Some are composting for the first time.

We have always grown compact, not volume. Lots of variety but not quantity. Enough for the two of us.

Save    
LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

I have lots of seed growing in my garden this year. Unfortunately most of it is weed seed :-p

I need to go through my seed stash and figure out what I need for next year. I think I'm good on most things but I know me and will still spend at least $50 or more on seed. I plan to order early but most of the online vendors still haven't updated their sites to reflect this year's seed harvest. Most things are still showing sold out.

I'll still be reliant on my favorite local mom and pop gardening store for seed potatoes and Dixondale onion starts.

Save    
beesneeds

agmss- I keep organized using inventory lists and FIFO. First in, first out. It's the rotation method used in stores and pro kitchens. Newest stuff goes to the back of the larder, oldest stuff is pulled out to the kitchen pantry.

I also use boxes for some organization- like a box will be all pasta, or dry beans, or herbs/spices, dehydrated goods, etc. Those boxes inventory is on lists I keep on a peg right there in the larder to add on or strike off as stuff changes. My favorite boxes for storing my home canned goods are boxes I got from Cracker Barrel years ago when I worked there- the old mint stick boxes and fried apple boxes are perfect for storing half pint and pint jars, and those are what I use most. I tend to use 2 gallon bags in the freezer for my groupings of foods.

Save    

Dixondale is fantastic. Thanks for the reminder.

Renee of SampleSeedShop passed away recently. 😩 Another recent loss that breaks my heart. 2020 has been dreadful.

@agmss. We just upgraded our old generator to an electric start. After the last power outage that lasted 5-6 days. We gave our old one to a friend that was out of power for 3 weeks! (good grief). And that was August!

We put in a transfer switch after StormSandy. Our neighbor put in a whole house generator at great expense. (needs yearly service checks as well) She neglected that and it did not kick in last storm. Fail.

A trasfer switch overrides the home power and runs the fridge/freezer, the gas cooktop click, minor lights for comfort. Gas heat fans. We just avoid the elec oven and heavy electric draw. (no bread baking)

With a basic generator you just need commercial heavy duty cords to plug in your fridge/freezer in trade-off 6 hours each to keep them cold. We did that during Sandy. We had no heat but a wood-fired fireplace. Horrid with a houseful of stranded Canadian guests. (well known chefs was a plus). They had just cooked at the JamesBeardFoundation as the best Chefs of Canada, stranded with flights canceled. (super cute/young/handsome so I was happy, 😜)

1 Like Save    

I did try a fall garden this year. Every pre-sprouted green..., kales, chard, beet greens were attacked by some invisible insect. They turned to lace at 4 inches.

Notes for next year, ...they need insect cover. I have cover cloth, just did not think it was needed.

I am getting peas but was hoping for snaps. I'll take snow peas.

Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

"----Do you have a system to keep your inventory rotating?---"

Color stickers are cheap.

Last year's inventory --- one blue stickers first 6 months. two stickers last 6 months

This year's ---- red stickers.

2021's ----yellow stickers.

dcarch

Save    
bcskye

After the blizzard of '78, I learned to keep a good supply of toilet paper and dog food on hand at all times. Then we moved to the country. On top of the tallest hill in the county, barely a one lane dirt dead end road off of a dead end road without snow removal. One snow storm that kept us from getting out for over a week, I started building up a better supply of everything. Everyone, including DH thought I was crazy. My niece had a fit a year ago when I had an extreme case of pneumonia and she saw how filled my small pantry was. When the pandemic hit, I had pretty much I needed to keep from going out much. I was an EMR and my late husband had been a heart transplant recipient so I had a great supply of masks, hand sanitizer, etc. I was even able to donate a box of masks to the fire department I belong to so they stocked them on all our trucks.

I did have to go out for feed for the dog, chickens and ducks about once every two weeks so I started getting a little extra to add to my food supplies each time. Then it was planting time. Even though I couldn't have a regular garden, I started hitting a sales and my favorite farm market. More freezing, canning and dehydrating. I'm still adding, but I'm starting to get the feed for all the animals stocked for the winter. Oh, and I found a wholesaler very close to where I live and am going to see if I can get my coffee there in bulk.

I have a really good supply of seed and am getting an order in for a few things. And definitely get my order in early at Dixondale. Will be looking for someone to till the garden next Spring.

The generator needs to be repaired before winter, but I have an excellent wood burning stove that has two small levels on top, one of which you can cook on and the other to keep things warm. I use rechargeable light bulbs during power outages, but they are only good for eight ours. Of course, I have battery operated latterns. And there's the propane camp stove and smoker/grill. I think I'm pretty near set.

Madonna

1 Like Save    
dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m

"----- The generator needs to be repaired before winter, ---"

For those of you who do not have a generator, and for those of you who need to have a backup for your generator:

Get a 12v-to-110v automobile inverter. You can use the car's generator to run a few lights, internet /email/computer and to charge your phones. Just make sure that you don't run your car inside your garage.

If you have to replace your car battery, keep the old one and charge it up. It may not have enough power for the car, but it has plenty to run a few LED lights for hours.

dcarch

2 Likes Save    
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I just checked 2 of my favorite seed sources. They haven't gotten their new inventories in yet. I have saved Mortgage Lifter tomato seeds and am participating in a seed swap so will at least have tomatoes next year. I am going to see if I can get a few bags of easily-stored things like soup beans and maybe a couple more bags of flour, powdered milk and powdered buttermilk. Somehow I misread a description of Minute Rice boxes and have, I am pretty sure, enough to do all winter! Ditto with instant potatoes. We might get bored but we won't go hungry!

1 Like Save    
agmss15

I am trying to keep extra ahead on pet foods. I have thought about dry milk to use to make yogurt if nothing else.

I need to consider a generator. I am just not sure where to put it. It would be the smaller portable kind.

As far as seed - two good seed companies are nearby and I know people who work at both. So my friend just picked up my seeds for me. What they didn’t have she did.

Ok tomorrow I take my mom to the farmer’s market. Perhaps a side trip to get some organizational stickers - and then perhaps Sunday a dive into the bowels of my freezer and then a trip to the dump. .

Save    
agmss15

Oh and Sleevendog - re:fall gardens

I actually planted a fall garden in a timely manner. I just picked a few pounds of beans and a zucchini. I am kind of amused at the 4 little cukes that are almost ready. The warm weather crops came through three frosts in a row wrapped in agribon - definitely scathed. Mostly though I planted cool season crops - several varieties of daikon, kale, turnips, Asian greens etc.. I used a row cover which minimized flea beatles. All was well - the nicest little choys I have ever had. And then boom they suddenly looked miserable!!! It took me a bit to find a horrendous bumper crop of cabbage aphids. Insane numbers. I looked up ways to manage them. Evidently all my brassicas were were all perfect trap crops to keep them off the cabbages I didn’t grow. The damage to broccoli and kale is minimal but I finally yanked most of the other stuff. Chard they ignore.

Save    
cindy_z6b/7a VA

Oh, I'm so sad to hear about Remy passing, (SampleSeedShop). I ordered from her every year. Year's ago she even posted on GW. So very sad.

Save    
annie1992

My fall garden is going nicely in the little hoop houses, several different lettuces, green onions, snow peas, mache, turnips, golden beets and some purple bok choi.

Of course, everyone knows my pantry. I'm not a prepper, but I am a farm girl and I do what farm girls have always done: fill the pantry. Elery says during canning season the Grandkids don't dare stand still or they might end up in a jar. We have a farm and gardens, fruit trees and berry canes, an asparagus patch. Elery hunts for deer during season and we raise meat chickens and grassfed beef. We have chickens for eggs.

I have a bucket of sauerkraut "working" right now, and just finished canning the last of the tomatoes, only greens are left to go.

We do have a generator and a pellet stove. If we lose power the generator can run the big geothermal system but nothing else. Or, it can run the water, the lights, and the pellet stove. There are two tons of pellets in the garage and Elery says we'll get another ton, Mother loves to sit in the corner of the dining room next to the pellet stove even when we don't have a power outage, it's gets about 90F in there, LOL.

I have a grain grinder and can grind my own flour, and I have wheat and corn ready for grinding. The dog eats what we eat, or rather I make her food, we don't feed her commercial dog food. She's 12 now, so it hasn't seemed to shorten her life appreciably and she walked 2 miles with Elery and I yesterday, still hunting. Of course she slept all afternoon after that.

I save most of my own seeds, so don't buy most of them. I have 250 cloves of garlic ready to go in the ground in another month or so. I think I'm pretty much prepared, but that's no different than any other year, I just keep doing what I've always done.

I haven't figured out yet how to grow coffee or toilet paper!

Annie

Save    
bcskye

Oh, Annie, when you figure out how o grow coffee and toilet paper, please let me know!

Dcarch, you reminded me that my late husband left an inverter in the Jeep. I didn't know why he had it there, but left it there anyway. Now I know why it will stay in there.

Yesterday I took the generator to a good repair shop that I found about 12 miles from here. They are a little backlogged, but all repair shops are right now.

Agmss, I have a Honda 2000 generator. It's not super big and served us well until I left it with old gas in it for a couple of years then let the young man next door take to fix. Learned my lesson. Anyway, it's a little pricier, but is what most RVers I know use.

Will be going to the orchard tomorrow for more apples. Do you consider $12 a peck right or expensive?

Madonna

Save    
agmss15

I bought honey crisps at the farmers market for $2/lb. A very full quarter peck was about 6 lbs. They were pricier than other varieties but I love them.

Plus my failed second attempt at homemade mozzarella Is kinda yogurt cream cheese. I think it will go well with apples.

I still find myself stocking up. I bought more pantry items today. I have as tomorrow’s goal to get more organized.

Took my mom to see the wind turbines in a nearby town today after the market. Fall color is surprisingly good considering the drought.

Save    
beesneeds

Ohhhh, I know how to grow coffee... only I live where it's too cold and I don't have a large greenhouse to make it worth it, lol. Growing TP is easier- just a LOT more effort to process to make it nice enough for tender nether-regions, lol.

My local market has chicken leg quarters for 29 cents a pound next week- think I might need to re-arrange my freezer to squeak a 10 lb into.

Save    
annie1992

Madonna, apples here are about $5 a half bushel, so yours are kind of expensive in my world, but I live right in the "Fruit Ridge", so apples are plentiful and cheap in season.

Beesneeds, I think I'd skip the toilet paper growing although I am surrounded by trees, which is a start, LOL. Coffee, now, I know how to grow that but I don't think Michigan is especially suited. In a pinch I do know about chicory, but it really isn't coffee. There's always herbal tea...

Annie

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Kitchen Design Stock Up on These Stylish Pantry Door Ideas
With this assortment of door options, a gorgeous pantry exterior is in the bag
Full Story
Healthy Home 12 Ways to Set Up Your Kitchen for Healthy Eating
Making smart food choices is easier when your kitchen is part of your support team
Full Story
Rustic Style Stock Tank Style: Galvanized Tubs and Troughs Find a Home Indoors
Galvanized-metal farm troughs turn up around the house as furniture, storage bins, sinks and tubs for people and pets
Full Story
Patty creates unique, enjoyable, and livable interiors. Regardless of project budget, she is known for... Read More