Help Me Use Up My Potatoes

Suzieque

I bought a 5-lb. bag of russets and DH did the following day, too (didn't realize we already had them). We have baked and grilled and mashed and still have some left. They are just started to soften and grow little things on them. Completely still usable.

I know that I can make and freeze mashed potatoes but I'm really looking for something to use up about 10 russets and eat over the next few days. We don't care for scalloped potatoes or that type of thing. Not fries.

Ideas? A special bonus if you include a recipe. Haha.

SaveComment50Like
Comments (50)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Zalco/bring back Sophie!

How about a potato based soup with leeks, or kale?

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Well, I love having a stock of twice baked potatoes in the freezer!

1 Like Save     Thanked by Suzieque
nicole___

Chicken pot pie. Shepherds pie. Ham/potato/onion in a white sauce casserole.

Save     Thanked by Suzieque
gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)

Potatoes Anna? I do like the idea of a freezer stash of twice baked potatoes :-)

Judy Good

Potato and cheese soup, Scalloped potatoes, Shepherds pie, Fried potatoes, roasted with garlic and parm cheese, potato salad.

Elizabeth

Potato bread or rolls. they freeze very well.

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

+1 on twice baked potatoes. I don't really use a recipe but my ingredients are butter, sour cream, chopped bacon, cheddar cheese, S&P.

Lots of recipes come up if you gargle it.

I freeze them on a cookie sheet and then vacuum seal them with my food saver usually with 4 halves per bag.

georgysmom2

I do the same as LoneJack, but just put them in a ziplock bag. They freeze beautifully and all you have to do is grab as many as needed for that night for just the two of you or for company. No mess no fuss. You bake them frozen at 400 somewhere between 30 - 45 min.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Potato salad.

Smashed potatoes are great too. I love them from Pappadeaux restaurants.

Here's how I do them. Either microwave or boil till soft but not over cooked, skin on. Then put oil in a skillet, enough to coat well. Put a potato in and using a spatula smash down on the potato holding it down so it starts to fry the bottom side. The burner is on medium high. Do that to each one, then flip over and do the same thing to that side. Keep doing it till they are nice and crispy on the outside but still soft inside. Season with salt and pepper.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX

Here's a recipe for smashed potatoes. She does them in the oven instead of a skillet, I do that on occasion too.

https://www.recipetineats.com/crispy-smashed-potatoes/

tvq1

I make a breakfast scramble with diced potatoes, red peppers and onions. I also add tofu for protein, but you could leave it out. I package 2 servings to a bag, and vacuum seal it. It freezes really well, and it's so handy to have a good breakfast on hand. We usually add a little salsa when we eat it. Pretty yummy breakfast!

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

If you like hash browns and have a dehydrator you could shred them, blanch, and dehydrate but that's quite a bit of work. I've done that and also sliced them and dehydrated but you said you aren't interested in scalloped. The blanching step is very important or they will turn out a nasty brownish/grey color after dehydrating.

morz8

What I usually do in that circumstance is share (having been tempted by those big bags of blemish-free russets at Costco ;0). We (2 of us) can't possibly eat that many potatoes.

I don't care for frozen potato soup nor do I like potatoes in my chicken pot pie.

Twice baked potatoes on hand in the freezer are wonderful. I will sometimes cook more than I need on top a roast in roaster in the oven letting the potatoes absorb some flavors from the beef, garlic, onions. Then chop and vac seal, freeze, to brown and reheat in a skillet later with a quick chop or salisbury steak (looks like I put a little more effort into dinner than I really did)

Sherry

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheesy-stuffed-baked-potatoes/

You can use smaller potatoes. Just use about three pounds total. I fix up until the final baking. Then freeze the ones I am not using that meal. When froze solid, store in ziplock bags. To bake, you can let thaw overnight in frig, then bake or just put in cold oven and bake.

Suzieque

Thank you for your replies! Any more? Keep 'em coming. We're not big on potato soup or pancakes. I know, it sounds like we're plcky; we're really not.

Save    
chloebud

Well, that leaves out the Potato Cheese Soup recipe I was going to post. My vote goes to twice baked since they freeze so well.

Jinx

Similar to tvq ... we do breakfast burritos and/or breakfast soft tacos. Fill with scrambled eggs, cheese, bacon pieces, and cooked, diced potatoes. Sometimes throw in cooked onion/green peppers. And salsa on the side. We don‘t eat them often, it’s a once-in-a-while splurge. :)

Breakfast hash is another.

I was going to mention my Mema’s sliced potato sandwiches, but didn’t think anyone would be interested. They sound strange, but are very tasty. :)

Save    
Kathsgrdn

How about a Spanish tortilla? Cut up 5 or 6 potatoes into 1 inch slices. If you like onion, finely chop 1/4 to 1/2 cup of them. Cook in olive oil until potatoes are soft. Drain. Scramble in large bowl 6 eggs, salt and pepper. Add potatoes and onions and mix together. Make sure frying pan is hot (reuse same pan with a little olive oil). Pour egg/potato mixture into frying pan, pulling edges back in toward the tortilla center while it cooks. When it is semi cooked, take a large dinner sized plate and cover pan, flip tortilla over and put back into frying pan to cook and slightly brown the other side.

Comes out looking like a flat little cake. Simple but delicious.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
joann_fl

Potato soup and you can freeze it

Toby

I haven't ever made gnocchi but this video has made me want to try it. My goal this winter is to try new recipes, ingredients, and techniques because I'm bored with my cooking. I have made egg noodles and that's easy.

Gnocchi can be used in many recipes.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Looks like everybody's pretty much covered everything, but I will add that I like to roast a panful of peeled and diced potatoes (1" or so) in a simple blend of olive oil (approx. 1/3 cup), salt & pepper, chopped fresh herbs like rosemary, marjoram or thyme and smoked paprika and roast in the oven (400F - 425F 30-40 minutes), then squeeze some lemon or lime juice over them after they're done. We like them hot or cold in green salads with sliced meats like steak, chicken, etc..

Lars

This is my variation on a Spanish tortilla:

Potato Frittata

3 tbsp olive oil (approx)
1-1/2 pound Yukon Gold potatoes (approximately3-4 medium sized), cut into quarters lengthwise and then into 3/16” thick slices (can use Russet)
salt, to taste, depending on cheese selected
3/4 tsp dried thyme
1/2 large onion, coarsely chopped
4 chilies (Jalapeño or Serrano), minced, or one Habanero chili, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
6 oz grated cheese (Cheddar, Swiss, Asiago, Manchego, or Gouda, etc.)
8 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp water

Preheat oven to 360 degrees.

Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in 10” cast iron skillet or oven ready non-stick skillet. Add the potatoes and sauté, stirring frequently. You may need to add a small amount of oil at this point, but it should be minimal. Cook potatoes for a total of 10 minutes on medium to medium high heat. Sprinkle with salt and thyme, and then allow to rest in the hot pan off heat, covered, for ten more minutes. Remove to a large bowl.

Add the remaining one tbsp of olive oil to the pan and sauté the onion for a few minutes, until translucent, and add the chilies and bell pepper. Sauté until bell pepper is soft, about 3-4 minutes, and then add this to the potatoes and stir to combine.

Add half of the potato mixture back to the skillet in an even layer and sprinkle with half of the grated cheese. Add the rest of the potato mixture and the rest of the cheese on top.

Beat the eggs with the water, and add about 1/2 tsp salt, if needed. Pour the egg mixture over the potato mixture, and tilt pan so that eggs get evenly distributed. Put the skillet onto a rimmed baking sheet and into the oven. Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until eggs are set.

If using a non-stick pan, you should be able to remove the frittata from the pan, perhaps by inverting it onto a board.

Cut the frittata into wedges and serve. Serves three to four.

bragu_DSM 5

you could cut up some carrots and onions and potatoes and freeze them in double zip bags for later ... I don't care for boiled russets

OklaMoni

Where is it that you live? I could be right over. ;)

You have so many ideas now... that I bow out.

Moni

Jasdip

I love crashed potatoes. They're addictive.

Parboil small potatoes, or large ones halved with peels on. Put them on a baking sheet or in a cast iron skillet. Squash with a potato masher, or even the bottom of a cup so that they split. Drizzle with olive oil, s&p and bake or just on the stove-top in the skillet. They're delicious!

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

Jasdip - I agree but I also sprinkle with parmesan or cheddar cheese during the last few minutes of baking time.

Jasdip

Good idea, LoneJack! I've also read a recipe where sprinkled with cider vinegar for a salt and vinegar flavour.

raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

I would do a spanish torta/tortilla - there are so many variations, with various meats or without, herbs or not, different cheeses or not, vegetables or not. So tasty and can be eaten hot or cold. These can be frozen also. Google for myriad recipes. I tend to favor a simple potato/onion/egg version, and then might slice it crosswise and add ham & cheese or other filling (like a sandwich.)

Has anyone mentioned freezing single portions of mashed potatoes?

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Do you have, or have access to, a dehydrator? You can slice the potatoes and dry them well and have potatoes clear up into winter. I'm thinking about getting one, but I won't hijack your thread.

maifleur03

It may be late in the season but either regular or German potato salad. As long as you rub those sprouts off and allow air to reach them those potatoes will last longer.

arcy_gw

We love potato soup. Chicken stock , saute celery and onion, diced potatoes, cream cheese. Amounts vary on number serving. Super easy, impossible to mess up.

glenda_al

Enjoy Greek potatoes.

Suzieque

Glenda - what are Greek Potatoes? Do you have a recipe?

Save    
glenda_al

This is a good recipe: https://www.food.com/recipe/greek-potatoes-503766

I use new potatoes, but works with any.

My recipe:

New Potatoes or Red Potatoes
12 10 medium serves 4
Salt
1 teaspoon
Fresh Chives ***I used dried parsley
1/4 cup
Butter
1 tablespoon
1. Scrub unpeeled new red potatoes and cut in half.
2. Bring to a boil in well-salted water.
3. Reduce to a simmer.
4. Simmer ONLY 10 Minutes
5. Drain
6. Add Chives and Butter to Taste. You may substitute a very good olive oil for butter.

chloebud

Another option I've made several times.

https://barefootcontessa.com/recipes/potato-basil-frittata-1

Ladydi Zone 7A NW BC Canada

This brought up memories of when I was much younger & was invited to a cooking party where my girlfriend enlisted our help (over many glasses of wine) cooking what she called her Mom's Ukrainian Potatoe Balls. No recipe but they consisted of shredded raw potatoes, mixed with lots of sage and some flour to hold the mixture together. They were rolled into fairly large 'balls' (softball size) and dropped into boiling water until completely cook. They didn't looked very appetizing but when sliced up and fried with lots of butter were really good. Maybe some of you know what they were?

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Just thought of hasselback potatoes too - they are wonderful...

bragu_DSM 5

a frittata sounds wonderful ...

Lucille

Ladydi, your potato recipe sounds like a distant relative to latkes which I LOVE.

lizbeth-gardener

I would boil till just tender, then cool, peel, large dice/chop and freeze in individual packets. To use, saute chopped onion, mushrooms, red or green pepper and sausage or ham, if desired. Drain any grease and add beaten eggs. Cook till lightly scrambled/fluffy. Quick, easy meal.

ghostlyvision

Roast a couple of halved acorn squash cut side down with a bit of olive oil rubbed on the cut side, when almost tender, boil a couple potatoes, let the squash cool a bit then scoop the flesh into the drained potatoes, mash both together, add butter, s& p, whatever other seasonings you like. If you like garlic mashed potatoes, add a couple cloves in to the potatoes before they boil (or roast them in foil with the squash). My hub loves this side dish, I'll have to remember to get a couple squash soon, now that Fall is here.

Suzieque

Well, the KT comes through again. I'm going to try some of these ... and something tells me that I'm going to be buying MORE potatoes! Thank you, all. You're the best.

3 Likes Save    
Jasdip

I thought of you when I was given 2 litres of homo milk this morning. My neighbour's workplace throws out food on the expiry date, whether it's still good or not. She brought home 6 1-litre cartons and gave me two.

Rice pudding is now on the meal plan! :-)

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Suzieque
raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

Jasdip, I sometimes come across cartons of deeply deeply discounted milk at the grocery - like a gallon for 50 cents - that are on or a day away from the expiration date. I have bought them planning to try my hand at making ricotta, but always seem to use them up for other things.

Those Ukrainian potato balls made me think of knish although they really would just be distant cousins - seasoned mashed potato balls, sometimes mixed with a meat or a vegetable, wrapped in a sheet of pastry and baked

Ont_Gal

No idea where you live, but if you can, plant them.

Marilyn_Sue

Maybe you are not keeping your potatoes in a cool dark place, if you can't use them up in time. I live alone and have no trouble keeping lots of potatoes in my underground garage. I have stored fifty pounds at times.

Sue

Sherry

Well, she may be like me. I have no basement or root cellar. My garage is attached to the 1400 sq ft one floor rancher and stays at about 150* in the summer, or seems to. The only place to keep potatoes and onions is in the kitchen. That stays at at least 76* because my husband is freezing to death all the time. I can manage 4 to 5 pounds sometimes, usually I just buy a few loose potatoes of whatever variety I think I might need.

bbstx

I over-bought potatoes a couple of months ago. I successfully stored them in my wine fridge. I made sure they didn’t touch each other.

ETA: if you end up storing some without refrigeration, remember to keep them in a dark place. Light causes the green flesh, solanin, which can be toxic. Also, keep them away from onions. And, if possible, keep them from touching each other. Do not store in a plastic bag. Air circulation is needed.

Crash Hot Potatoes from Pioneer Woman http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2008/06/crash-hot-potatoes/

Ham, Cheese, and Potato Casserole from Leite’s Culinaria

https://leitesculinaria.com/223178/recipes-ham-cheese-potato-casserole.html?

Lemon Steamed Potatoes (I’ve made it for years and have forgotten the source. I think a Junior League cookbook)

Elmer J Fudd

We don't eat a lot of potatoes but when we buy them, we rarely buy more than we'd use at one meal or two. I understand the double-up purchase.

We don't have a basement or other suitable storage place. If you don't want to cook them somehow and freeze the result, I'd probably make a few calls to neighbors and if doing so fails to find a good home for the extra bag I'd toss it when the potatoes get soft.

Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Remodeling Guides Room of the Day: Antiques Help a Dining Room Grow Up
Artfully distressed pieces and elegant colors take a formerly child-focused space into sophisticated territory
Full Story
Decorating Guides How Repetition Helps Rooms Shape Up
To give your interior designs a satisfying sense of rhythm, just add circles, squares or rectangles and repeat
Full Story
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More