What would you do with a spaghetti squash the size of a large potato?

plllog

I've never seen a spaghetti squash smaller than a football before! This one is literally the size of one of those overgrown potatoes they serve at steak houses. It's smaller than last week's one pound sweet potato. :) Whomp the sweet potato in half and I have two large sweet potatoes. But I'm clueless about the sqush.

Any ideas for a nice way to cook a mini-spaghetti squash?

SaveComment17Like
Comments (17)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloebud

I'd still roast it like I've done the larger ones. Slice it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle each half with olive oil then add s&p. Put cut side down on a baking sheet and poke through the skin with a fork. I would bake the halves at 400. The larger ones can take 45 minutes to an hour, so just start start checking them earlier for easy piercing with a fork/knife.

1 Like Save     Thanked by plllog
lindac92

Whomp it in half, roast it cut side down...pull out the "spaghetti" and there you go.

Islay Corbel

Ditto

Save     Thanked by plllog
ediej1209 AL Zn 7

If it doesn't yield enough for a side dish on its own, maybe mix it with some finely shredded sauteed Napa cabbage?

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

I like to roast them too, then scrape the strands out and mix approx. 1/2 & 1/2 with cooked real spaghetti, sauteed garlic & onions, chopped fresh tomatoes, fresh chopped herbs and ground beef.

If you slice crosswise into circles, rather than vertically, the strands come out longer.

And I use baking parchment so it doesn't stick.

plllog

Thanks, everybody!

Carol, that sounds interesting. I've never cared for the spaghetti squash as spaghetti with spaghetti sauce thing people torture their children with--I don't think the flavors work together at all, let alone the wateriness. Your mixed with spaghetti sounds interesting however. And gives me ideas as well!

2 Likes Save    
bragu_DSM 5

garlic the bejesus out of it before you roast it ...

plllog

No.

Save    
Marilyn_Sue

It could go in a casserole like you would put zucchini in. I like it with just spaghetti sauce. I would even put it in my chili soup for some added texture.

Sue

chloebud

I've seen it used in brunch-type casserole dishes with mushrooms, spinach, eggs, cheese, etc.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I wish I could source small spaghetti squash. We have had nerf-football sized all covid season. Small-ish. Most, not all garden veg, is best when picked young. (golf ball sized cantaloupe not so much. I grew tasty but more for Barbie and Ken sized people)...should have saved seed for tweezer restaurant people.

I stopped growing spaghetti squash years ago since DH did not like replacement noodles. Zoodles and such. We were getting them in Misfits all Spring so I researched. He loves it now roasting in it's half shell and served as a side or bigger ones stuffed after roasting, then broiled. (wild rice, mixed grain, ingredients used for lasagna, mushrooms, mini meatballs, etc.)

Small ones baked like a twice baked potato. Pissed I did not grow them this year. (note to self for next season)

plllog

S, those look yummy! I never thought of stuffed. I have a lot of cooked andouille. I could perhaps come up with something based on that. I think the sweetness of the melon would go well with the sausage. Your onions look tempting too.

Marilyn Sue, thanks for the reminder that I could just put it in stuff as squash!

Save    
Louiseab Ibbotson

pillog, I totally agree with you. If I want spaghetti, I don’t want fake noodles. Just because it looks like spaghetti doesn’t make it so!

1 Like Save    
lindac92

Not a fan of spaghetti squash at all....the only way I coould say I liked it at all was cooked, pulled into strands, dressed with a vinaigrette and chilled.

Save    
donna_loomis

LOL at Linda. Whomp it! The hardest part about fixing spaghetti squash for me was getting the darn thing cut in half. That is, until my husband shared a tip with me. He said he pokes dashes with a knife along the line he'll cut, then puts them in the microwave for a minute or so and they're easily cut then.

party_music50

lol! I pretty much agree with Linda, except I've never tried it chilled and with a vinaigrette. I got a small organic one from Misfits a while back (their substitute), so I split it and roasted it. Gave it a taste (blah) and stuck it in the freezer.... where it will stay until I probably decide to make it compost. :O)

Save    
plllog

PM, throw it in a soup that needs some body. Better to thicken with squash than powdered starch!

Orangetti squash has a better flavor, somewhat like kabocha but with spaghetti squash type strings, but the great thing about regular spaghetti squash is that you can flavor it any way you want. I like the texture. Although I do like winter squash, the sort of born puree texture gets to me after awhile. Spaghetti squash has a little crunch (unless you cook it soft) and has those fun strings.

I just had a thought. I have some mushrooms that need using. I could make something like a mushroom and sausage sauce (think elevated country gravy). I haven't been feeling well this week so thought about cooking the squash, chickened out and made a big sweet potato instead, served in the skin with add your own butter. ;)

The relative blandness of spaghetti squash should be a good vehicle for mushrooms, andouille and pepper. :)

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Edible Gardens Summer Crops: How to Grow Squash
Almost foolproof and with cheerful flowers, squash comes in a wide range of varieties to plant in spring
Full Story
Farm Your Yard Houzz Call: Home Farmers, Show Us Your Edible Gardens
We want to see where your tomatoes, summer squashes and beautiful berries are growing this summer
Full Story
Kitchen Design 12 Rustic Touches That Add Warmth to a Kitchen
Exposed beams, chandeliers, farm tables or just a key accessory or two can bring some coziness to the heart of your home
Full Story