Cocktails for Fall?

foodonastump

For me it was always the same: At some point as the weather got cooler the scotch would move forward in the liquor cabinet and push the gin back. No mixers involved with either, so the seasonal change was easy.

My wife, not as easy. She’s always looking for a new drink to latch onto. This summer it was watermelon vodka with Simply Watermelon. Now I’m looking for something for her that screams fall. Maybe something appley or pumpkiny? A lot of the pumpkin drinks I‘m seeing involve cream; definitely don’t want anything that heavy. Spiked hot cider might be nice once in a while but I don’t think it’d work as a daily cocktail. Oh, and she doesn’t do carbonated.

I’ll keep looking but figured I’d ask if anyone here has any favorites to share?

SaveComment28Like
Comments (28)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
beesneeds

I do a mulled wine with juice. 2 oz of Witches Brew with 4 oz of cranberry pomegranate juice. Warm it up and it's rather nice :) It also spikes a cup of berry or hibiscus tea nicely too. If I got fresh cider, apple cider sidecar is good too- that has cognac, orange liquor, and lemon juice in it.

1 Like Save     Thanked by foodonastump
nekotish

We served these cinnamon maple whiskey sours at Thanksgiving last year. I subbed Crown Royal Maple Finished Whiskey for the bourbon, because being Canadian, not too familiar with bourbon. They went over very well, even with the "I don't usually drink rye" people.

Cinnamon Maple Whiskey Sour

Save     Thanked by foodonastump
plllog

I firmly think it's too soon for Thanksgiving kinds of drinks, even if the weather has already turned where you are. Something crisp and breezy more than hearthside smoky, is called for, I think. Maybe hard cider. Perhaps lightly spiced, but sharper rather than warmer. Maybe something more in the melon family. Here, it's melon season. We get them year round, but the local ones are lovely. Midori and chilled vodka maybe? Or wait a few days for Halloween month and go Kahlua based with chocolate garnish.

nekotish

I should have clarified, but Thanksgiving north of the 49th is October 11, so not so far off.

1 Like Save    
lovemycorgi z5b SE michigan

Does she like beer? My favorite for fall is Elysian Night Owl pumpkin ale. It truly tastes like pumpkin and fall spices, unlike many of the other pumpkin ales I have tried over the years.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Ooh Midori Daquiri... Haven't jad one in years but oh so breezy good!

For Fall, half a jigger of cinnamon schnapps in a tall glass of cider.

lindac92

The Scotch has definitely moved to the front here....but it's never too far back.
How about a shot of brandy and apple juice....but I think I would have to maybe dilute that apple juice with a bit of water to cut the sweet.
Another favorite cool weather drink is a stinger.....brandy and peppermint schnapps

party_music50

You’re in NY so maybe something with cranberries/cranberry juice.... Or wine! I just tried a NY wine made with black currants (iirc) and liked it a lot. :)

ETA: FX Matt / Saranac always puts out a seasonal 12-pack of beer for autumn and Christmas and they’re very popular. They should be sold in your area.

I just checked and they still have their "12 beers of summer" out now, so it will be a while before the autumn pack is released. :)

LoneJack Zn 6a, KC

My drink of choice does not change with the seasons. Crown Royal on the rocks works year round. I do switch up my beer selections somewhat in the summer but I always want it ice cold (~29F) even in January.

Keurig makes a adult beverage machine called Drinkworks that might work for someone that likes a variety of drinks. I think they offer around 3 dozen different mixes now.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I'd like a

Sazarac please. We have the ingredients.

I'm still on the veg enhanced Virgin Mary at 4 pm. Lots of ginger and horseradish. Nice pre-dinner no alcohol cocktail while prepping/cooking.

Concentrated organic bottle of cranberry un-sweetened is a good cocktail addition that keeps all through the holidays in the fridge. Some fresh fruit juice ice cubes?. Surprise her with some blendered melon/mint cubes for a mid chilly winter treat. We love out of season treats. Exactly why we freeze summer produce.

olychick

I'm a Sidecar fan this time of year. Lemony, but with the brandy it seems like a fall cocktail to me.

l pinkmountain

I drink sangria in the summer and mulled wine in the winter. Spring and fall are more tricky. For fall, perhaps something with ginger ale or ginger beer? Apparently gingerale can be mixed with all kinds of booze. I stick to vodka because alcohol is a risky business for me in general, and vodka is the least allergenic one . . . but I think I saw one the other day that was maybe bourbon and gingerale? I dunno, some type of dark spirit. Hubs drinks rum and root beer, which can be "sophisticated" if you get one of the gourmet root beers like Virgil's. Saves buying all those fru fru herbal liqueurs . . . I think they even make alcoholic root beer now . . . saves you the trouble . . .

Lars

I have to sweeten my organic cranberry juice with Splenda when I make a Cape Cod. I often add grapefruit soda or ginger ale to it, but you said no soda.

Islay Corbel

My mother used to make a killer combo of cognac, angustura bitters and champagne. Delicious.

pigeen

A Manhattan is perfect any season!

foodonastump

Thanks for all the suggestions, definitely some ideas in there, most I’ve got the liquors on hand for. Might have to buy some Midori. What’s witches brew though? Looks like a liquor in the post, but quick glance just seeing it as a mixed drink of its own.

I edited my OP several times before submitting, and realize now I failed to mention she’s a lightweight. Some of these ideas may lay her out. That notwithstanding, I may start with a sidecar. Just shake it a lot to water it down a bit.

As for beer, generally probably not, though I do see there’s a pumpkin lambic out there which I’ll keep an eye out for.

Thanks again, hope others are inspired, too!

Save    
l pinkmountain

Sorry, I didn't get the "no carbonated" part. I'll bet they make ginger spiked vodka or similar spirits though.. . . heck you can even make ginger liqueur! I'll bet that kind of stuff would be the bomb in some hot cider . . . or with wine . . . https://www.kitchenkonfidence.com/2012/04/ginger-liqueur

olychick

I forgot to mention that the best Sidecar I was ever served had a couple of these on a pick in it - a little sugar on the rim of the glass.Yum!

Luxardo Cherries

beesneeds

Witches Brew is a spiced wine. You can spice your own red wine if you can't get it.

https://shop.lwc.wine/witches-brew-p9.aspx

Save    
sarahsocal

Keep it simple.

FIREBALL!!

Jinx

I haven’t tried this, but am hoping one of you will and report back. ;)

The thought of vinegar in a cocktail is holding me back —

https://www.davidlebovitz.com/cranberry-shrub-and-cranberry-shrub-cocktail-recipe/

bbstx

Honey Badger

1.5 oz good bourbon

.25 oz lemon juice

.25 oz honey syrup (equal parts honey and water, heated in order to blend)

Hard Apple Cider with a splash of Chambord

Old Fashioned

NOTE: I make my OFs the lazy person’s way, only bitters. When my DSIL makes them for me, he muddles a fresh orange slice and a maraschino cherry

2 oz Bourbon or rye

healthy shake or two of cherry bitters

healthy shake or two of orange bitters

tiny shake of Angostura bitters

splash of 1:1 simple syrup

a Luxardo cherry or six

I may have to make a Manhattan tonight. I have all the ingredients and it’ll give me an excuse to open my new jar of Luxardo cherries.

There used to be something that was bourbon and cranberry juice. It had a GWTW name...Tara, O’Hara, Scarlett? I can’t remember. It wasn’t one of my favs.

How about a Smoky Martini? Make a martini using scotch instead of vermouth. When I make one, I swirl the scotch around the glass and pour it out.

party_music50

I can't get past the non-carbonated requirement, because my non-beer go-to is vodka, tonic, and lime. lol! I've always thought of Midori as a summer drink. I like a white russian around the holidays, so what about a black russian for your wife? That sounds good to me as a fall drink. Oh! Make a hot buttered rum and tell me if it's good. I've been wanting to make some ever since I saw that episode of Frasier. lol!

bbstx

For some reason, I have been thinking about a hot buttered rum, too. I haven’t had one in ages. Talk about fattening. Rum, sugar, and buttah.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Too bad about the no bubbles thing, because I think a cranberry/orange spritzer with some wine or spirits would be very nice and not too strong either. I love flavored seltzers and orange or tangerine flavor is yummy

lindac92

The gonew ith the wind drink is a scarlet O'Hara.....2/3 cranberry juice adn 1/3 Southern Comfort......and a wedge of lime. Sweet and seems harmless....but it will lay you out if you are not careful....just like the real Miss Scarlet!

bbstx

That’s it, @lindac92! I think I must have had it with bourbon instead of Southern Comfort.

Save    
foodonastump

The carbonated thing, perhaps genetic? Neither kid does fizzy either.

SoCo. Oy. I haven’t even thought about that in years! I always thought of it as cough medicine.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Entertaining Glam-Camp Style and a Cocoa Cocktail for Your Bar Cart
A stylist shows how to arrange your bar cart for fall, and shares a recipe for boozy hot chocolate to warm you up
Full Story
Edible Gardens Top Off Your Cocktails With Homegrown Garnishes
Find out how and where to grow popular beverage adornments such as citrus, mint, strawberries and more
Full Story
Events Art-Inspired Looks Make a Splash at Fall 2020’s High Point Market
Bold colors, sharp angles, geometric shapes, artful patterns and minimalism make a strong showing at the trade show
Full Story
With over 30 years of experience in general contracting, Tin Cup Enterprises is a family owned and operated... Read More
Cellko is a full service remodeler in Northern Virginia. We approach each project, from kitchen remodeling to... Read More