SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierquilt

Cocktail + Moro Blood Orange Juice - Yum!

Thought I'd share my lovely glass of Cocktail grapefruit and Moro Blood orange juice I had this morning :-) I squeezed two small Cocktails, and one small Moro. This Moro Blood orange tree was a surprise. It was one of the citrus that was already planted on our property when we bought it. I did think this tree was dead. It was badly, badly damaged by ground squirrels, and rabbits. It looked like a dead trunk stump with a few gnarly branches. I felt so sorry for the tree, that I just couldn't shovel prune it without trying to resurrect it. That was back in the Fall of 2009. I just did the basics, created a well, put it on a drip, did some very minor pruning, and fertilized it. It had a couple of oranges I tried last year that were terrible. This last month or so, although it still needs to get shaped up, it was full of a lot of small oranges. I noticed yesterday that the oranges from a distance looked REALLY orange - dark orange. So, I thought, hmmm, maybe this is not a Valencia, since they're not ripe until at least March, but better in June here. Just way too orange. So, I walked up to the top of the slope and down to take a closer look. Well. Not Valencia for sure, as there was a pronounced red blush on all the skins, especially the oranges facing east and north, and the oranges were in clusters. Brought a few in and when I cut into them, they were so dark red, the flesh is almost black! Wow. That's some major anthocyanin. It was staining my cutting board and sink! And very, very berry tasting, just delicious! I am SO glad I didn't take this tree out!! Here is how dark the juice was, with just one small Moro orange in my glass with the 2 Cocktails:

{{gwi:565647}}

Looks a wee bit like tomato juice, lol, and it was out of this world. Thought you all would enjoy this virtual glass with me! You can see the Dekopons from Whole Foods in the bowl.

And, here's what the Moro's look like, and how small they are. Not much bigger than the Bearss limes. Note the very distinct red blush to the skin:

{{gwi:565649}}

And, what one of the Moro's looks like inside. You can see the staining on the cutting board:

{{gwi:565651}}

Patty S.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!