Get Up, It's Time For Breakfast

Marilyn_Sue

I am going to have a BLT for my breakfast. I got tomatoes from my garden yesterday among other things. So will enjoy a nice sandwich this morning along with some homemade iced tea. What will you have for your breakfast?

Sue

SaveComment42Like2
Comments (42)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lassemista

Pumpkin muffins and coffee. I'm planning a BLT for lunch.

Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Elizabeth

Venison bacon, fried eggs and English muffins for DH. I may have the English muffin with thimble-berry jam.

Elizabeth

I do want the BLT for lunch but the venison bacon is too...ummm...sturdy? thick? Something. It doesn't work like pork bacon. But a LT sandwich is good too. My tomatoes are wonderful this year. ( Saving seeds )

Lucille

Bagel and cream cheese.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
colleenoz

Weekdays it's usually cereal and coffee before rushing off to work. But this past Sunday we had overnight guests so I made fried eggs using eggs given to me by a friend who keeps chickens (I don't keep my own chickens any more because the foxes kept killing them :-( ) and delicious smoky bacon from my butcher who smokes his own bacon and hams- more expensive than supermarket bacon but worth every penny.

nickel_kg

:-(

Mondays and Thursdays are our "low calorie" days. So instead of the usual oatmeal or the splurge scones, I'm looking forward to seven almonds. And coffee, lots of coffee.

nicole___

I toasted a hamburger bun, w/ butter.

Elizabeth

7 almonds for breakfast? *GASP* I had that many sliced on top of my banana cream pie last night.

bpath

Sigh, I‘m getting an oil change and I forgot they don’t have their usual complementary bagels and cream cheese now, but they do have coffee. Already had some at home, but gotta have something while sitting here. When I get home, probably Cheerios with sliced banana on top.

jupidupi

My husband made creme caramel last night and we each had one for breakfast. Sure, it's a dessert. But, you know, eggs, milk...it's sort of like breakfast.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
wildchild2x2

Half a banana and maybe a pack of granola/almond butter cups. Got to go to the ranch. Eat for real after riding. We're pushing for 5 miles today. Rugged trails.

chisue

Sundays and mid-week we each have two eggs and a sweet (half a giant muffin or slice of coffee cake or Eng. muffin with jam), OJ and coffee. Sundays there's also thick slice bacon. Lately, I'm only buying the Kerrygold butter from Ireland. Yum.

Other mornings we have hot or cold cereal with fruit (blueberries, raspberries, banana) and coffee.

I recentley saw a study saying that people who drink unfiltered coffee are more likely to get cancer. LIfelong Melitta filters here; lots of other ways to develop cancer! My 'coffee' is a third each of half & half, milk, and coffee. DH has two cups w/a little cream and rat poison (my name for the artificial sweetening he likes).

georgysmom2

Crusty bread toast (sliced very, very thin) and a piece of orange cranberry bread with my one cup of coffee.

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

I watched a video last night that layered a flour tortilla, scrambled egg and tomato in a skillet. Looked pretty good and I have one lonely tortilla heading to stale so I am going to try that this morning. But I think I will add cheese and herbs too.

maifleur03

I had to raise my eyebrows at the filtered coffee bit since unless you do what I call camp coffee and just toss grounds into water I can not think of any process of making coffee that is not filtered either by paper or metal of some type. Even the french press and espresso makers filter the coffee through holes that are smaller than the size of the grounds.

Elmer J Fudd

Toasted homemade bread, smoked salmon, coffee.

chisue, if you like Kerrygold butter, see if you can find President brand from France. A much deeper and creamier flavor, it's our favorite. It makes American butter seem like a block of yellow unflavored gelatin.

Elmer J Fudd

maifleur, there's no paper filter involved with devices that make espresso, French presses, or (horrors of horrors) percolators.

stacey_mb

An orange, scrambled eggs with a touch of mayo, steamed broccoli and coffee. Butter is my kryptonite (or one of them!), so I won't be trying specialty butter. On one trip, DH and I purchased a gourmet type butter and artisan bread. Guess who ate almost the whole loaf! LOL!

seagrass_gw

French butter on a toasted baguette with strawberry jam is to die for! I drink herbal teas. Very sensitive to caffeine. Puts me over the edge and I can't enjoy my day.

chisue

I'll look for the President butter, Elmer. (Which French president is featured? ha-ha) We buy the Kerrygold at Costco.

Yes, the article about avoiding cancer from coffee did specify paper filters. As I recall the study had a very large sample and ran over many years.

Thanks, Maifleur. I was hoping Bpath knew of a local knife sharpening option. You all know I am not a 'real' cook. I have several Cutco's and some Henkels. I'm sentimental about my 56 year old red handled kitchen shears. I bought them at Sears as a newlywed. (DH had a discount from Allstate.) They are marked Stainless Steel and Solingen/W. Germany A2062.

carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Strained yoghurt and a half a papaya from one of my trees.

And hubby and I were just discussing what we consider the best sandwiches, and agreed BLTs are awesome 😄

Tonya Yoder

It makes American butter seem like a block of yellow unflavored gelatine !! Obviously anyone who said this has never ever had homemade churned butter, fresh from the dairy cow.

Elmer J Fudd

What percentage of the population would you estimate has regular access to homemade churned butter? I'll guess it's a small single digit.

Rounding bring the number to zero or close to it. Everyone buys butter at a store and both the Irish and French products are significantly better than American butter, in my opinion and obviously that of others because these products, while more expensive, are good sellers.

rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Tonya, obviously Elmer was talking about commercially produced butters available to the majority of consumers.

Tonya Yoder

Well percentage i dont know for sure,but you didnt put a percentage on your french butter lol,but honestly in our area lots more people have ascess to making their own butter, actually lots more of people have their own equipment or knows someone who does versus french butter because we dont have ascess to that product and thats fine & even if we did its unfair to say things about what is best or what isnt best tasting, in my opinion because everyone has different taste preferences and no not everyone buys butter at a store either.

Tonya Yoder

rhizo,yes i guess he was,thanks for clarifing that up, i guess its hard for people to realize that some of us still make things from the recepies of many generations ago, heck we make homemade ice cream too lol

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Many years ago we used a percolator. I always used paper filters in it. They make them specifically for percolators. A square with a hole in the middle and on every corner. Made much better-tasting coffee and.much much easier to dump out.

hallngarden

Can’t remember last time we had store bought butter. Grandmama made it all the time when we were growing up in farmhouse. I would sit there with my piece of bread waiting for that taste of heaven. Have a 95 year old neighbor who lives two homes down. When I told her about my farm life. She said I have something for you. She walked back out with homemade butter she made. No she doesn’t churn anymore but she saw an idea using a blender and heavy cream. When I spread on toast in morning , it taste just like grandmama’s. She is so happy to make us butter, won’t take a penny but she shops a local store and we buy her a gift card on her birthdays to cover cost of her supplies. She still drives and prefers to pick up , we are happy for her butter, and she is happy to make.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Marilyn_Sue
Judy Good

chisue. I have lived on "unfiltered" coffee most of my life and my Parents, all of their life. No one had cancer. And we drank a TON of coffee. The percolator was always on and hot. Miss them days, with Mom's coffee.

maifleur03

Elmer and others chisue's comment said nothing about paper filters. You should know that a french press is sometimes called cafe filtre. Somehow it received that name.

Elmer J Fudd

maifleur, my understanding (and knowledge of French) leads me to a different answer. There are some others on this forum, including one who lives in France, whose knowledge of French is more recent and deeper than mine and I will gladly defer to them if they disagree.

The word for coffee maker (any kind) is cafetière. "Cafe filtre" means drip coffee. A french press is a "cafetière a piston" (coffee maker with a piston or plunger) and there may be other terms too. To say "un cafe" means a single espresso.

When I first moved over there, when asking for a drip coffee in a restaurant after a meal, they'd bring this cool simple contraption which held ground coffee into which they'd pour boiling water and cover with the lid. When it stopped dripping, you took off the lid, placed it upside down on the table and set the thing on top of it, leaving the cup full of coffee ready to drink. These gizmos, which I suspect are an older design, had no paper filter in them.

Drip coffee made more informally, as in a small hotel or private home, can be made in a coffee maker resembling what we have here. But stronger. Coffee at breakfast is typically a very large cup of strong drip coffee with a lot of milk (cafe au lait).

maifleur03

Think about it people what is the purpose of the holes in the various methods of making coffee? Last I noticed they were to filter the liquid from the coffee grounds. Only coffee that is not filtered one way or another is camp coffee I mentioned and Turkish types.

Elmer J Fudd

chisue clarified after your first comment that the studies she saw had to do with coffee that was made using paper filters. In English, a coffee filter is most often is made of paper (and she said explicitly she used a Melita cone, which involves a paper filter). More recently, there are reusable replacements made of fine mesh. I remember seeing a study or two in the past and I think what was thought to be the troublesome part from a health standpoint was material contained in the sediments that could be removed only by using a paper filter. But i don't remember well enough to be certain.

I'm not sure what you're thinking of. Your comment above about French press coffee and cafe filtre were not correct.

artemis_ma

I had steak and eggs... specifically, bison ribeye with 2 fried eggs. It was good.

ci_lantro

Fried in butter stone ground whole kernel yellow cornmeal mush with grape jelly.

Kathsgrdn

I'm having a chicken soft taco, had the rotisserie chicken delivered today from Kroger along with some avocados. The avocados were actually ripe or nearly ripe for once. I had to reseed cilantro in the garden because the first plant bolted in the summer heat. Had a bigger plant but gave it away to one of the workers working on my house, (had two plants growing too close together). So, only got a few leaves off for today's taco, sadly. Next year I'll make a second planting a few weeks after the first.

ratherbesewing

No breakfast! See the intermittent fasting thread :)

ediej1209 AL Zn 7

Today it is very chilly so whenever DH crawls out of bed we will have either oatmeal or Cream of Wheat.

colleenoz

Elmer, they make coffee with those metal filter cups you mount over the coffee cup in Viet Nam, no doubt because of the French colonial influence. They call them “phins”. I brought two home from our last holiday there and when I’m not in a hurry for coffee in the morning they’re fun to use.

sjerin

I just want to say that I really like the title to this post.

Elmer J Fudd

Interesting, colleenoz. Your explanation sounds right. I've seen these things in French speaking parts of Europe, which of course are contiguous so practices don't necessarily stop at borders. France, Belgium, Switzerland. But it is an old style.

I'm not sure what would be done these days in a cafe, I never order drip coffee in such places but always "un cafe", which means a small espresso. Too good to pass up.

Marilyn_Sue

In awhile I will have my Monday morning breakfast. I don't eat right away when I get up even though I don't eat a later meal in the day. I usually have two meals a day any more. I plan to have a scramble of onions, sweet peppers, eggs, and probably some cheese mixed in. Hot tea today, it is 41 out right now. I will have oat and nut bread toasted with some butter also. Sometimes not a lot I make my own butter in a blender.

Sue

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
11 Ways to Dress Up Your Breakfast Nook
A dash of formalwear can help your kitchen nook work from croissant to cocktails. These 11 tips get you started
Full Story
Organizing Get Up to Speed for Back to School — 12 Tips for Smooth Sailing
New schedules and clothes, paperwork piles ... and where did all the Band-Aids go? These tips will help you ace the new school year
Full Story
With client trust and satisfaction at the heart of our approach to the homebuilding process, Hartley Homebuilding... Read More