SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trillium15_gw

When is it time to give up on it?

trillium15
13 years ago

Hi. I grew a passionflower from seed. Took about a few mos. to germinate, which I was warned of, so I was prepared. It grew and grew and has had many cuttings taken from it over the years. I've never fertilized it but I water it every week or two and it's kept indoors. We are zone 5a and I don't relish transplanting it or fear of spider mites should I bring it out over the summer, so it sits in indirect sun in the living room. This particular cutting is now about 3' high and in a pot 10" wide. It has never, EVER bloomed. Some leaves are oval and some are shaped like 3 fingers. All on the same vine. But not one bloom.

Here's the thing...it's over 10 years old. At what point do you decide, it's never going to bloom and give up, start another one. Is there certain varieties that don't bloom? Are they like Holly and need a female/male near it? We worked so hard to get this little guy to finally sprout so long ago...but I'm not too keen on 'just greenery' so do I try again with another variety?

Pls help...I'd like some info on this before I break the news to my mother that all her passionflowers she's started from cuttings will never bloom and to chuck them...

Comments (2)

Sponsored