Alton Brown measuring push up tubes?

caflowerluver

I have found the 1 - 2 cups ones on Amazon, but didn't find the small one for teaspoons or tablespoons. I have Parkinson's tremors so bad I can't use regular measuring spoons any more. Does anyone know where you can get them? Thanks.

SaveComment26Like
Comments (26)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
caflowerluver

Thanks for the link. Wish they showed the tsp and tab side better.

Save    
plllog

ETA: On the Alton Brown site, it looks like the picture shows the 1 and 2 cup Kitchenart push up tubes. Kitchenart also makes spoons. I haven't seen a push out tube for spoons.

There's a scoop style one that does have a pusher: https://www.amazon.com/AMMOTI-Adjustable-Measuring-Tablespoon-Measurements/dp/B08FSNPMMV/ref=sr_1_79?dchild=1&keywords=measuring+spoons&qid=1600292866&s=home-garden&sr=1-79

I don't know if these would work for you, but I have a set of this kind of measuring ladle and it's much steadier to hold, though perhaps harder to empty.

https://www.amazon.com/Vollrath-5-Piece-Stainless-Steel-Measuring/dp/B006MF0HTG/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=ladle+shape+measuring+spoons&qid=1600291811&sr=8-1

In looking, I saw these self leveling spoons for the first time. I don't know if they'd work for you. I think they'd be easier to hold with a shaky hand, but perhaps the pressure needed for the self-leveling would be an issue. the shovel shape is interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Dreamfarm-Levoons-Self-Leveling-Measuring-Assorted/dp/B06Y4S52HY?th=1

Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
caflowerluver

pillog - thanks for all the links. I will check them out. What happens is that I shake so much, everything I measure goes flying everywhere.

Save    
emncarspam

https://www.pamperedchef.com/shop/%2410_00+%26+Under/Mini+Measure-All+Cup/2236

I don't know what he uses but I have some from pampered chef.

caflowerluver

emncarspam - that looks like something I had in mind. Thanks.

Save    
plllog

What the push-ups are best suited for is measuring peanut butter, shortening, mayonnaise or similar, where with a cup you have to use a scraper to get it all out an even so, you don't get it all. The rubber flange of the pusher scrapes the sides as you push, and gets the sticky goop out to where you can scrap it off the pusher. First you have to set the pusher to the size you want to measure, which can be tricky if you have hand issues.

I think from what you describe, a measuring beaker like the OXO's Amylou showed, would be a good idea. Those only go down to a teaspoon, however.

You could get someone to help you mark off a narrow test tube using salt or something and your current measuring spoons. A permanent fine line can be made with nail art enamel with the tiny brush or applicator. I tried to find something like that, but the smallest measure I could find was a teaspoon.

dallasannie

When you mentioned Alton Brown and gadgets I remembered the video I saw of him goofing on useless "unitaskers" in the kitchen.

In the vid he reviews a couple of them but the last one that he reviewed had me chuckling out loud, which I rarely ever do, preferring to chuckle in my head instead.

But this one had me LOLing or ROFLing.

Take a look and wait till the last. It is hilarious! What happens is so unexpected and so WTFish. A bit immature, but who does not need a good chuckle in these times?

If it the link does not work just google him and the word "unitaskers" and the mystical beings of the internet will know just what you want.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgFeVlw2Ywg

1 Like Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
caflowerluver

Dallasannie - That was hilarious! I loved the Rollie. I try not to buy one use only gadgets but sometimes I do when I see them at the thrift store. After a use or two they end up going back to the thrift store.

Save    
Cloud Swift

I used to use one of the push-up measures for sticky stuff, but I found it kind of difficult to slide at times. Also, the measured material has to be flat to the top which is fine for something like peanut butter, but if you are measuring a liquid, it can be hard to move it without spilling.

Now if I'm going to measure something sticky, I look up the conversion to weight for the ingredient and measure it into a bowl on my scale.

I also like the little Oxo measuring cup for measuring tablespoons and up to 2 fl oz:

https://smile.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-Angled-Measuring-Clear/dp/B00FYL4MPY

I will sometimes eyeball a tsp or two into it, but the smallest measurement increment it shows on the angled measurements is a 1/2 tbsp. The OXO beaker set has a tsp beaker that measures fractions of a tsp, but if shaking is an issue, the opening might be too small a target.

We recently got a small scale for measuring smaller quantities more accurately than our larger kitchen scale:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003STEIYY

caflowerluver

Pillog - Thanks for all the suggestions. I am trying to do as much as I can on my own. I hate asking DH for help all the time, especially when he is busy doing things that are more important than me making cookies. I love to bake but looks like I will have to give that up soon. Parkinson's is a cruel disease. It slowly takes away your independence.

Save    
Jim Mat

Are you concerned about breakage?, if not anchor hocking has a 5 oz glass measuring cup with 1T markings. Oxo has a 4 oz metal measuring cup with 1/4 T markings.

Have you thought about “medicine droppers” often called eye droppers.

Also, baby medicine “spoons”.

If a “kitchen spoon” won’t work, look at laboratory equipment.

plllog

Caflowerluver, I totally get it. You've brought to mind a time and place where the baking powder and baking soda came in little packets. Those weren't premeasured, but it made me think that maybe you could, perhaps with a little help, premeasure things you use regularly into little bags, envelopes or containers, that you can handle more securely. Like you might be able to do the measures if you were sitting down, with a tray under to catch spills and all. For things you make regularly, you could make kits, like last night I made a biscuit kit, which I'll add the buttermilk to tonight or tomorrow (though for longer, I wouldn't have added the butter. This recipe requires chilling anyway, so I got grating the butter out of the way). You could also measure out a quarter tsp of cayenne for chili. The glassene envelopes that stamp dealers use might work well for this, and be easier for you to handle while working actively in the kitchen, and they're easy to write on for labeling. Or maybe they'd be worse. It's just a thought...

Jim Mat

Re small bags, glassine envelopes, the street drug dealers have made those items a commodity.

scales, bags, envelopes, everything one could think of to measure and package small amounts. because a measure of drugs may be more valuable than a measure of spice, there are many inexpensive options.

For liquids, small amounts, maybe syringes...best wishes..

Cloud Swift

Putting together Jim's mention of syringes and of baby medicine spoons, the oral medicine syringes used to give liquid medicines to young children could be an easy way to measure tsp quantities of liquids.

olychick

I wonder if you don't have someone in your life (if not your husband) who would sit down with you for a couple of hours and do what Jim suggests - pre-measuring amounts into containers you can easily handle. It wouldn't take someone long to measure out 10 packages of a teaspoon of everything you need, and I'm sure you have people who would LOVE to be able to help you with a task.

I found these nifty very small plastic containers (I bought mine at party city, but amazon has a selection) if you could manage the lids. They could be reused and used for vanilla, etc. too. https://www.comfypackage.com/collections/portion-cups/products/1-oz-plastic-disposable-portion-cups-with-lids-100-sets-souffle-cups

You probably know about this spoon, but if not, maybe this could work for you? https://www.liftware.com/

caflowerluver

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I don't have anyone else that can help and I hate to bug my DH. He does so much as it is now. He has pretty much taken over everything I use to do plus all his own chores like all the outside work on 2.5 acres.

I bake when I am in the mood, on the spur of the moment, so can't have things premeasured and in little containers or packets. I could be more organized, but at 68 I don't see that happening.

I don't understand how I could measure small amounts of spices and other ingredients into packets, if I can't measure anything without it going everywhere. Or did I misunderstand what was meant?

My tremors can be so strong that I have flung food around the room. Think of a small child learning how to use utensils for the first time. I have to sometimes give up using a fork and spoon and pick up my food with my fingers because the tremors are so bad. I don't think I will be going to restaurants for the rest of my life.

And yes I have tried all the medications for the last 9 years and either they didn't work or had terrible side effects. And I am not interested in Deep Brain Stimulation (DBS). I don't like the thought of my brain being cut into and an electrical device put there. I have given up so many things like photography, crafts, jewelry and glass bead making and many more. Cooking was the last thing I could still do.

Thanks again for the advice and for listening.

Save    
3 Likes Save     Thanked by caflowerluver
olychick

I think the suggestion was to have someone pre-measure for you, so you could just grab and dump the proper measurement into a bowl, not that you do the pre-measuring. The whole point of pre-measuring is to have a supply on hand so you CAN spontaneously bake when you want.

If you cannot manage your favorite recipes, instead of giving up baking would something like this work for you? Their brownie mix is divine, so I'd definitely take a chance on this. This site has a whole assortment of mixes that might work for you.

Choc Chip Cookies

olychick

cloudswift, that looks like the perfect solution!! I might like one of those, too.

plllog

Cloud Swift, that looks great!

caflowerluver

Cloud swift - that is cool. Thanks. I will have to read more about it.

Save    
caflowerluver

Olychick - there are a lot of good mixes out there and I do use that brand for their brownie mix. But for many baked items I like to make them from scratch. They just seem to taste better IMO and no strange chemicals added.

1 Like Save    
sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

It is the lack of independence that is so frustrating. And the dependence on others.

I make 'kits' for my parents. A cracker they love and a sprouted grain brown bread. A biscuit and cornbread. Those have powdered buttermilk so they just need and egg and the needed water amount. All are lined up two deep on one of their freezer drawers. We recycle the containers since they hold dry goods.

Mom does make a couple cookie recipes but Dad keeps the canisters filled about 1/3rd and we have tried and succeeded using small tongs. The canisters have silicone gaskets but not too tight.

We really need more product design that will hold a better seal but this has worked fine.

sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)

I should add that the amazon ones above I do not have. I stopped in a restaurant supply to see them in person and chose a-la-cart. The metal is so bendable they can be fussed with to close good but not for liquids. I have another one that is plastic that holds about a half cup for flour and sugar but can't find a pic.

A few things I've given them the past recent years. Mom has trouble with lids especially plastic snap-ons, so the silicone lids that just rest on top for the fridge are good.

The danish dough whisk I gave them for easier mixing I could not find a few years ago. They forgot what it was for. I found it hanging in the shed on the tool pegboard, 😂.

caflowerluver

Sleevendog - that is so nice of you to do that for your parents. Thanks for the other information about the utensils and tools.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Contemporary Homes Houzz Tour: A London Townhouse Lightens Up
A dramatic redesign of this multistory home transforms its dark 1970s-era interior into an all-white Scandinavian idyll
Full Story
Great Home Projects How to Add a Skylight or Light Tube
New project for a new year: Increase daylight and maybe even your home’s energy efficiency by opening a room to the sky
Full Story
Bathroom Design Key Measurements to Make the Most of Your Bathroom
Fit everything comfortably in a small or medium-size bath by knowing standard dimensions for fixtures and clearances
Full Story
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More
We strive daily to continually make ourselves better, because we realize that our name, image and performance is... Read More