Something to look forward to...

sushipup1

OK, it's not the old hosts and all that, but at least it's new!

The Great British Baking Show returns this week!

SaveComment20Like4
Comments (20)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nancyofnc

Oh hooray! I binge watched the first batches and then watched them again. It's entertainment at 2 in the morning when everything else that is on is junk. I also learned about baked goods I had never heard of and find it amazing that the contestants knew how to make so many of them - I'd have to had to pull out cookbooks!

1 Like Save     Thanked by sushipup1
bpath

I figured they’d all stay in the manor home. Wouldn’t that be fun? And wouldn’t it make sense to practice in the actual kitchens they use, to adjust their recipes and techniques to the environment, equipment, and what I assume is induction?

I‘s so excited. PBS owns only a few seasons, and while we enjoy watching Ruby, James, Nadiya, Kim-Joy, Liam, et al, we are ready for new blood.

Save     Thanked by sushipup1
nancyofnc

bpath - you might want to think about signing up for Netflix, just long enough to watch the 10 seasons.

adellabedella_usa

My daughter loves this show so I'm sure I will see it.

katlan

I have actually seen a few episodes here and there and liked it. Thanks for the heads up.

maifleur03

From some of the videos on YT the contestants are allowed to go home for the week. Nothing has been said, that I have seen, about where they stay during the filming.

schoolhouse_gwagain

I second that hooray!

bpath

Nancy, we do have Netflix but it seemed like every time I brought up GBBO, it was an episode I’ve seen. And we don’t have it in the kitchen, so when we turn on PBS in there it’s always one we’ve seen. We like watching it while we have lunch or coffee.

sushipup1

Maifleur, read the article. They changed the entire shooting schedule, kept the bakers at a hotel, built special test kitchens for practice, etc.

Save    
Lars

I'll watch it eventually when it is convenient. I do not have Netflix and do not want it. I would subscribe to it if I did not already have more than I need to watch. When I get rid of cable in L.A., I might consider subscribing, but I don't even know what it has that I would want to watch that is worth the cost.

We have Samsung TVs, and we get dozens of Samsung TV channels that we have been watching. I especially like the Wipe-out channel, but it also has a lot of food and cooking channels and features Bon Appetit cooking shows. I find many of those annoying, however, mainly because I think the people on them are airheads. Sometimes that is okay, and sometimes it is just extremely bothersome. It's mainly because I am the wrong generation. I do find British shows to be less annoying, and so I generally do prefer to watch those over East Coast American cooking shows, which I have a much more difficult time relating to. I do watch ATK, but the only person on that show that I really, really like is Bridget. The tall skinny guy annoys me no end. I don't watch enough of him to know his name. I still like the equipment corner guy and the Italian guy who does the taste tests.

bpath

Lars, the tall skinny guy on ATK, do you mean Chris Kimball? He left. Now had his own show, Milk Street.

dedtired

Yay, fun. Also looking forward to a new season of Last Tango in Halifax.

stacey_mb

Oh, bummer! This is one of my favorite programs and our Canadian Netflix doesn't carry it. I doubt if I can get it via our local PBS channels either. If my tech whiz of a son can't figure out how I can get it, I'll have to wait until it eventually makes its way to one of our local channels.

Islay Corbel

Get all your news here! Love it.

https://thegreatbritishbakeoff.co.uk/

maifleur03

I have always watched it on YouTube, stacey. You may want to check immediately after it airs in Britain for a pirated copy before it is taken down. In a couple of months a regular copy will be on there. I saw yesterday season 10.

1 Like Save     Thanked by sushipup1
nicole___

Lars.....we have several Samsung Smart TV's. Never looked into the extra channels. I'll have to go look. Thanks!

Someone just recommended "Itchy boots.com" U-tube journeys that she thought was interesting. Going to check that out.

Lars

Bpath, not Chris Kimball - there is a much younger skinny guy (with glasses) on ATK that I do not like. I like Chris Kimball, more or less. The new guy is arrogant and condescending - two qualities that I do not like, but fortunately he is not on each episode. I've watched Chris Kimball's show because I like him, but he often has a young woman on his show with an annoying sing-song inflection, and this is annoying to listen to. I have to put on closed captions and turn the sound off to watch her.

The Great British Baking Show was one of my favorites, but I wish they could have retained the original cast, as I especially liked all of them.

Nicole, you will probably have to reprogram your channels in order to get the new Samsung TV channels. We did that with our three Samsung TVs and had to recreate our favorites lists, but it was worth it.

bpath

Oh, now I know who you are talking about. I don’t watch it enough anymore to remember him well. I do like Adam. We’ve bought a few things based on their recommendations, and have been happy with them. The best was the Black and Decker coffee maker that retails for about $40, my local True Value was having a sale and I had a coupon so I bought it for $15. We used it for about 8 years until we broke it, then we bought another one and used that for 8 years until we broke that. Now we are using the Cuisinart from my parents’ house, and the coffee tastes about the same and it’s no easier to use.

stacey_mb

That's a great tip, Maifleur03, and I will certainly try it. I lucked out after the season where Rahul was the winner by finding links to all the episodes and was able to watch all of them.

OutsidePlaying

Is it only on Netflix? I would love to watch it. We don’t have Netflix and after their refusal to pull the Cuties show would not sign up anyway.

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Product Picks Guest Picks: Design-Forward Outdoor Furniture
Treat yourself to one of these splurge-worthy patio pieces and enjoy great outdoor style for many summers to come
Full Story
Winter Gardening 6 Reasons I’m Not Looking Forward to Spring
Not kicking up your heels anticipating rushes of spring color and garden catalogs? You’re not alone
Full Story
Houzz Tours Houzz Tour: Visit a Forward Thinking Family Complex
Four planned structures on a double lot smartly make room for the whole family or future renters
Full Story
Inspiration for some backyard chats
Inspiration for a warm welcome
Inspiration for dinner time under the stars
Inspiration for a little quality time
Inspiration for making that best pizza ever
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More