SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
emy_r

Questions after 1st consultation with an architect

emy_r
3 years ago

My husband and I are planning to buid our retirement home in the next few years. We have land in a rural area of Mississippi near my extended family. Our land will be paid off early next year, and we thought it was time to start the design process.

I have always loved old houses and really want a "new" old home with a more modern floorplan. Most of the people we know where we currently live and also in the community where we will be building simply choose a stock plan and have it modified. After reading this forum pretty obsessively over the past few years, I thought I understood the benefits of working with an architect and want to go that direction. Everyone that I know in real life recommended designers and/or builders and always asked me what internet house plan I had chosen. This means that I haven't managed to find any personal recommendations for any local architects. Also since it is a rural area, there seem to be only a handful available to select from. From the three I found online, I chose one who was older and worked from his home. His limited website said that he specialized in traditional design which seened a fit for what we wanted. I made the first call and had a good conversation. He seemed to ask the right questions except for one exception. He told me to send an email telling him about ourselves, our ideas, and examples of house plans that we liked. I explained that I had reviewed a lot of stock plans but had not been able to find one that matched our needs/wants. He said that was okay and that it would just be a starting point. I sent the email with information about us, our family, how we lived, our prioirities, budget, and a few examples of what we liked. A week or so after, we scheduled our first meeitng with him, and we had that meeting yesterday. It was so confusing and I am looking for feedback about my expectations and a path forward.

We put together a folder of a limited collection of inspiration photos and a more detailed list of priorities, wants, and nice to haves ahead of the meeting. The meeting went downhill almost immediately. We started out with a picture of a home nearby that my husband and I both admire. He proceeded to tell us all of the details that were wrong with the home, making it not an authentic representation of a old home. Although in my opinion. he went about it the wrong way, this is exactly why I want to go with an architect. He seemed to point out details that can make a difference between a nice house and a beautiful home. I brought out a second picture and he proceeded to tell us why the second home was the real deal. All good except for his method of communicating this information.

He asked if I had printed out the floor plans that I had emailed him. I said I did have one sample which I showed him. He then says well we need to choose our favorite and work to modify it, that we could probably have a floor plan sketched before we left his office that day. He gets up and goes to another room to print off all of the ones that I had emailed him. I really just wanted to leave at that point but I told myself to be patient to see what happened next.

When he brings the printouts back to the table, he begins with the floorplan that I had specifically said was an example of an exterior we liked but that the floor plan did not really work for us. He begins telling us why it is a very practical floor plan and starts sketching on it. After a few minutes of this, I tell him I don't think this is a good fit and that I imagined a more creative process for designing our house.

At this point, he turns the tables and tells us his wife doesn't like it when he turns away work, but that we should go talk to a designer to get a sketch of a house plan. Once "she" sketched a house plan for us, then we could come back to him, and he would make the exterior work and draw up our plans.

Questions: Is it normal for an architect to ask a client to choose a Southern Living floor plan (yes he specifically mentioned Southern Living as preferred source) and then come to him for modifications and final drawings? If this isn't how it is supposed to work, any suggestions for next steps? Do I meed to change expections given the location of our project or perhaps interview architects who aren't in as close proximity to our project?

Thanks in advance for any advice. So sorry for writing a book, but this experience was quite disappointing.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio