SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dlm2000

1st Design Meeting - How to be effective not counter-productive?

DLM2000-GW
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

For right now, I'm feeling as if we stepped into a 'Lucky' dimension. We are closing Thurs on a piece of land that we 'found' by driving around, looking on county GIS for property in areas that we liked then sending letters to the owners about our interest. Along with that, we 'found' an architect because I saw his business plaque when going to a hair appointment, months before we even found the land. It intrigued me enough that I looked at his website that day and liked what I read and saw. When the time came to actually interview, he was one of 3 calls that I made and the first interview. After spending 2 hours with him, as we were getting in our car my husband looked at me and said 'Do you think we even need to talk to anyone else?'. And of course after reading here for years I said yes, if only to be sure! The next architect interview was also very good but she didn't seem quite as experienced and the 3rd one never called me back (very bad juju!) so we're going with our gut and feel we've made a great choice.

Tomorrow is our first working meeting. We'll meet on the property, get some basic ideas going then head to his office to 'dig into design elements'. We are to come prepared with "anything (pictures, sketches etc) we think helps to convey our thoughts on the project."

So my question is, how much is realistic to bring? I've been collecting pictures in folders on my computer for a long time and have Pinterest folders, too. (won't even get into the magazines I've saved - and moved!) There is something I like in all of these pictures but we're not building a stone mansion or an east coast shingle style - yet something 'speaks' to me in the language of each house. It's really architectural schizophrenia ! In fact almost every singe picture is of a 1.5 story and we're building a single story that I HOPE will capture the feel of that sheltering roof line. Do I try to cull things to a separate folder and limit the obvious disparity or let him see it all and trust that he'll find the connecting line from A to B to Q?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County