SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrew_wilkinson39

Trying to figure out an old house wiring circuit, need help.....

Andrew Wilkinson
3 years ago

My house has different sections built in different eras...the original section was built in 1927, the next was built in 1950, and the last section was built in the 1980s. Much of the wiring is extremely old.

My front porch light is connected to my living room and master bedroom lights and outlets, as well as my basement lights and outlets. Meaning all of these are using the same fuse from the fuse box. The basement electrical ,the master bedroom outlets, and the outlet in the living room that shares a wall with the Master bedroom are all on one circuit from this fuse. The Front porch, living room light, master bed room light, and the rest of the living room outlets are on another circuit still connected to the previous line.

So, here's my problem. My front porch light kept flickering on and off. When checking the electrical wires to the front porch light, I realized that I had really old wiring. This wire had copper wire, wrapped in broken brittle rubber, covered in black cloth. There was essential no way to tell which wire was neutral and which one was hot, also there was no ground.

I decided to replace the wire from the light that connected to the switch, to go ahead and get everything up to date. Needless to say this is where I ran into my problem. The switch to the front porch shared a box with the switch to the living-room light/fan. When I took the cover off the switch box I saw one of the wires from the feed (source) wire was soldered to one of the live wires to a switch, as well as a seemingly random ground wire. I believe the wire from the source was hot. This soldered group was on the bottom screw of the living room light switch. To get the front porch disconnected from the switch I had to disconnect both switches, and cut the wires soldered together that connect to the feed wire. However I didn't take a picture of the wiring configuration, and since I was updating one set of the wires, I figured it would best just to unhook everything and then reconfigure the hook up.

When I unhooked everything, I put the hot wire from the power source to a connector that had two pigtails I that connected one to the bottom of each single pole switch. I connected the neutral wire form the feed wire to a connector, then put the neutral wire from the living room light, and the front porch light connected to this connector as well. I then hooked the live wires for the living room light, and front porch to the top screws for their corresponding light switches. I did not hook up the grounds from the new wire to the front porch light, or the ground from the living room light because there was no ground from the source wire.

However now I have more issues....my outlets work, but my living room light only flickers when on, and now the Master bedroom light which has it's own switch only works if the living room light switch is on at the same time, but also slightly flickers (less then the living room light). The front porch light works for about 2 secs then goes off.

Could this be due to not connecting the grounds? I'm not sure what to do....

Comments (5)