SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_51603995

Favorite Browser

jtc
3 years ago

I have used Firefox forever and always liked it and the tool bar. Lately, after updating, it has been problematic. I reset to a previous one with slightly better results.
What do you use and does it have toolbar?

Comments (55)

• Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
    3 years ago

"What do you use and does it have toolbar?"

You can turn the "Bookmarks Toolbar" on or off.

I use Firefox for a reason that wouldn't matter to most. It gives me more control. (Tabs below)

If it's slower, it's nothing I notice.

BTW, the "Title Bar" can be hidden by going through "Customize".

• Bookwoman
    3 years ago

We may have a terminology issue here. I think of a standard toolbar as having commands like File/Edit/View/etc. (see the very top row of Richard's picture). Chrome does not have one of these in its default configuration. It has an Address bar, with Forward/Back/Refresh/Home icons, and a Bookmarks bar.

jtc thanked Bookwoman
  • Related Discussions

Visited sites no longer change color

Q

Comments (47)
    I tried center-clicking refresh to open a duplicate in another tab. That didn't help. I then tried clicking "New Tab" and pasting the URL in there. That worked. So I ended up with two seemingly identical tabs that I could in theory duplicate my actions in each, and each would behave exactly the same. Except they don't. The second one highlights visited pages, the first does not. Interesting but useless to me. I tried real(?) Chromium and it seems to be fixed again. For how long, who knows. That's with version 27.0.1425.0 (184975) and comes from here. Caution, when you get to the "Win" directory, it's so full of old builds(and new) that it might load very slowly. At least it did for me in my virtual machine.
    ...See More

AOL Browser all right?

Q

Comments (7)
    Thanks zep for the further explanation. Thanks Bernie for telling me how to find out for sure what she has so I can get the same thing. Raven, I imagine she would have remote access in her Windows XP as I do, right? I've considered remote access but would be a little afraid if things maybe got goofed up for her later on....and then us maybe both regretting it. Yep, side by side would be best. I imagine the remote access might make her even more nervous than us talking or working side by side. The other night she told me she had to go and get another Pepsi she was so nervous. She had been cut down to just one a day but I drove her to drinkin. I too can relate needin' another tall Pepsi on the rocks. Thanks all! Wish us luck. Sue
    ...See More

Why and what is your favorite browser

Q

Comments (24)
    For some reason, I just cannot fall in love with Firefox, even though I have had it on my computers through various versions including 3.5. And IE is absolutely so slow, even v.8 that I use it only when I have to. I keep going back to Opera since I have never had the problems that others have had with GW. I do use Chrome to view a few websites, just because I like to keep it up to date. It's nice and fast and both it and Opera are not loaded down with a bunch of add-ons---just not necessary.
    ...See More

web browsers

Q

Comments (16)
    I use Opera primarily and yes it does have a spell check built in from version 10 on. Aspell was fully compatible and worked fine in previous versions so Opera has had a spell check for, well I think I've used a spell check in it for nearly a decade now. It's an excellent spell check too at least for my use. So I primarily use Opera, and often use K-meleon and then comes Firefox. Never have tried Safari or Chrome but really no need to since I like these so much. Opera is the standard of comparison for great browsers. It's fast, well-equipped with features, including a mail client if you need it. It is the most customizable I've used. I like maximum screen space so I customize the toolbars to just be one, and be smaller so I see more of what I want to look at. And it's only about 6mb download for the whole browser! Updates on the Internet Elephant are sometimes 5 times that! K-meleon is based on the old Netscape Gecko engine and is extremely fast. It doesn't have the features of Opera but I like it for checking webmail. Also I have Opera set to kill off a lot of ads and occasionally I need to see something so I'll just open it in K-meleon or Firefox. Firefox is an interesting browser. It's open source and has many varieties. They use extensions, now called "add-ons" to add features. Many are gimmicks. But so many things like paste & go should be built into the browser and I don't like having to constantly update Firefox. Every week there's probably 3-5 updates to be downloaded. Not a major problem, but still a nuisance. But I do like the weather extensions for Firefox and a couple others. But it's much slower than Opera or K-meleon, although light years ahead of the Elephant. The best thing is to try out several. Give them a fair chance, at least a few weeks and do some research on tips and the like so you use it more fully. It took a long time to get used to all the advantages of Opera and I only use the Elephant now for Windows Update. Like I said you might find you like one for one purpose and another for another purpose. Nothing wrong with that. Sometimes you need a stove and sometimes you need a refrigerator!
    ...See More
  • Fun2BHere
    3 years ago

I use Firefox, but I have to switch between versions to do certain things. For instance, I use Focus on this forum to be able to post pictures, but I have to switch to another version to be able to leave feedback on eBay. It all changed about two months ago? I always used Safari on my iPad, but that doesn't work for these forums if I want to like an original post or post a picture. I've been too disinterested to research why it isn't working.

jtc thanked Fun2BHere
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    3 years ago

Machine came with safari, but I use chrome all the time. Always good to have a back up browser though in case one goes awry.

jtc thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

@Bookwoman,

See the checkbox that says Menu Bar?

Menu Bar On

Menu Bar Off

Access to settings with Menu Bar Off

I usually have the Bookmarks Toolbar showing but I turned it off for these screen caps to show no toolbars other than the Address bar. Most of the various icons/function on the Address Bar can be removed/added as desired.

Any sort of customization that Firefox doesn't provide via its standard settings can likely be done by 1) finding an AddOn that someone created, or 2) editing the configuration directly (one can run into trouble if changing a setting the wrong way but there is information online about what are valid parameters for most of the various settings that anyone may want to adjust).

jtc thanked dadoes
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I don't find any one browser fills the bill to my satisfaction. Nor can I say any one "never has problems" with random websites here and there. So I regularly switch between them - Firefox, Edge, Chrome. I find that Chrome has become much more of a resources hog than the other two and can be quite slow at times. My wife periodically has trouble printing web pages from her PC when using Firefox - pages come out blank. I haven't spent any time to figure out why but she's switched to Chrome.

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    3 years ago

I switch between Chrome and Edge. Both work just fine by me. I NEVER download toolbars, you can remove those in your 'add/remove' settings.

jtc thanked User
  • Bookwoman
    3 years ago

dadoes, I was talking about Chrome, since that's what the OP asked about.

jtc thanked Bookwoman
  • User
    3 years ago

Safari at home. Chrome (which I hate) at work.

jtc thanked User
  • lily316
    3 years ago

I used to have Firefox but switched to Chrome. Occasionally use Edge.

jtc thanked lily316
  • maifleur03
    3 years ago

With the current laptop I have, purchased a couple of months ago, I have only three on this one, Edge that it came with, Firefox, and Chrome. My old one had five. I am finding more and more sites apparently are requiring a specific browser to work on either all or part of the site. An example my bank wanted me to verify my SSN. Edge and Firefox would not work. With the person at the bank on the phone after I verified that it was something the bank was requiring I finally was able to use Chrome successfully. I still have some Savings Bonds and they have specific browsers that allow saving the inventory.

Now if/when I have a problem where nothing happens I change the browser and so far have been able to do what is needed.

jtc thanked maifleur03
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    3 years ago

Since I am using chromebook and android devices these days I mostly use Chrome browser but I do have Firefox and other browsers on my devices also. Most browsers are extremely customizable. Just finding the directions for how to do it and what extensions and add ons to use. Google is a great resource.

jtc thanked ravencajun Zone 8b TX
  • User
    3 years ago

Elmer...Firefox did away with their toolbar print option a few updates back. Now...to print...click on Menu at the top right hand corner and scroll down to the "print" icon. Clicking on it will bring up the page the user is on and across the top of that page is the print tool bar that offers the print options. I can't enjoy my morning coffee unless I have my daily newspaper's crossword puzzle at the ready. I figured out the Firefox "print" issues pretty quickly. Otherwise, if you wife has a long doc to print, it's often easier to "save as" and print from file.

ETA: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fix-printing-problems-firefox

jtc thanked User
  • Olychick
    3 years ago

I have used Firefox for years and always have loved it, esp that it's open source. I don't like using chrome because it's google product or Safari (the worst). But Firefox has been giving me fits. I can't stream hulu from it for the last few weeks, it won't allow any buttons to be toggled on webpages - it's making me crazy. A few weeks ago, someone (Richard, I believe) posted a hint about clicking on the icon at the far left of the browser bar to turn off their Enhance Tracking when things go wonky - thank you for that. But it's still way too undependable and I really am missing it. I really hate the configuration on other browsers. I'm always closing the wrong tabs by accident, etc.

jtc thanked Olychick
  • Claudesmom
    3 years ago

I have a Chromebook, so..........

jtc thanked Claudesmom
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

winter, maybe we don't have the same version of Firefox (I have 80.0) because the behavior and appearance of mine is very different from what you described.

I have set Firefox to display the menu bar. To do that, you right click in the open space to the right of the address window and in the dropdown choices, you have a few choices. One is to make the Menu bar visible. I choose that. Print is to be found under File, Print or Print Preview, just like with most Windows programs. If you click Customize, you can drag a Print icon to the toolbar. I've done that too.

When I click on File, Print Preview, or click on the Print icon, the page is blank. That's why it won't print. When I choose Page Setup, nothing happens.

As I said, I haven't looked into it yet. The simple solution for now is to copy the URL and open a different browser for printing. We do little printing so it isn't a frequent matter to deal with.

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Lars
    3 years ago

I use Firefox most of the time, partly because I like the add-ons, which I use frequently. One of them allows me to save videos from Youtube, and I have saved a lot of music videos that I watch on my tablet when on my elliptical machine. I use Chrome on the rare occasions that I visit facebook, as I do not want FB interfering with anything else that I do, and I never log in to any sites using FB, although I do use my Google account for logging in to some sites, and I do that only with Firefox.

At work, I preferred Chrome, but at home, I prefer Firefox.

jtc thanked Lars
  • jemdandy
    3 years ago

My favorite is Firefox. I tried Chrome about 3 years ago and was not impressed - Went back to FireFox.

In the way-back period, Netscape was the premier browser in use at the company that I worked at. That was what I installed in my first home PC. Netscape fell by the wayside when its parent company was bought. Many of us at work were saddened, but had to move on to other offerings. Parts of Netscape arose again with the introduction of FireFox.

I don't know if 'Thunderbird' is still available, or if it has been kept updated. if so, its another possibility. I keep an old copy installed on my PC because I have a lot of files about my family genealogy stored in it. Its strength is for storing email files on your computer. While using FireFox, I have not stored any email files in it, but have been keeping those stored on my ISP's server.

jtc thanked jemdandy
  • not2bright
    3 years ago

I've used Palemoon for a few years and also have Vivaldi installed as a back-up.

jtc thanked not2bright
  • maire_cate
    3 years ago

I'm also using Firefox 80.0 and haven't had any issues either. I'm not adventurous when it comes to switching browsers. My Mac obviously has Safari which I stopped using years ago when I switched to Firefox. Everyone else in the family uses Chrome.

jtc thanked maire_cate
  • bengz6westmd
    3 years ago

Firefox has always suited my needs on both Win10 & Puppy linux & Android phone (there are some issues on the phone as it didn't use FF originally). Also you can "sync" your bookmarks/settings between the OSs/devices so changes/additions will happen on all FFs.

jtc thanked bengz6westmd
  • User
    3 years ago

I'm using the same FF version 80, Elmer, and I have the Menu Bar showing but I don't use it for much other than to open and close the Bookmarks column.

For printing purposes I use the drop down Menu in the Menu box in the upper right hand corner. But to see what using the print option from the Menu Bar would do...I clicked on it and it brought up the page I was on here. Setting it to Print Preview...I experienced the same problem you and your wife are having. A blank page. I didn't pursue the printing any farther not wanting to waste ink...but I confirmed your print problem.

If I recall correctly...at some point in the past with lower versions of FF...the Print option from the Menu Bar stopped working for me, also, so I moved to the Menu Box for the Print option there and all is well. I did notice...using the older Menu Bar File "Print" option button that the print page asked that a printer be selected. Perhaps that's where the problem begins. Resetting your Printer/settings on that page might cure the problem. My printer/settings seemed to have conveniently moved over to the newer Print option button in the Menu Box.

Take a look at the link I posted. Perhaps it will be of some help if using the Menu Box "Print" option doesn't work for you.

I don't use other browsers. If push came to shove and I had to do so, I'd opt for Edge rather than ever using Chrome. I am not a Google fan on any level.

HTH

jtc thanked User
  • Bookwoman
    3 years ago

I'd opt for Edge rather than ever using Chrome.

As dadoes pointed out above, Edge is now based on Chrome. Google is everywhere. ;-)

jtc thanked Bookwoman
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

I often use Print Preview from the Menu Bar in Firefox to check the visual on zooming (or much more often shrinking) the print size. No trouble with it coming up blank. My normal print-zoom setting is 70%. One thing that is a minor irritation is that FF remembers the last printer used with no direct way to set a preference that sticks. I have more than one at work and once in a while overlook changing the selection for a print instance.

Turning off "Use hardware acceleration when available" (Options / General / Performance / uncheck "Use recommended performance settings" / uncheck the target selection) can sometimes fix issues.

jtc thanked dadoes
  • User
    3 years ago

Google is everywhere. ;-)

Yuh! I know, Bookwoman. 🙄 But I do my darnedest to avoid them when and where I can. They may be less buggy today than they were yesteryear...but that hasn't changed my opinion much.

jtc thanked User
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

@JemDandy,

Thunderbird is available and updated regularly. I've also been using Thunderbird for years.

Note that there's no way to store email in Firefox, it's not a mail client.

All mail client programs (Outlook Express, Windows Mail, Outlook, Thunderbird, Eudora, IncrediMail, eM Client, Mailbird, Inky, whatever others are available) store mail local on the computer.

That's how email was originally designed to work ... the server is considered temporary storage space, like a mailbox at a post office (you don't leave your postal mail permanently stored at the PO). The client program on the user's computer downloads the mail off the server using the POP3 (Post Office Protocol 3) protocol and stores it local on the computer. The proliferation of free mail services such as Yahoo, HotMail, and GMail, and the use of multiple devices to access the same mail account brought about the IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol, which replicates data between the client and server) and web-based mail access.

I never leave mail on the server.

jtc thanked dadoes
    3 years ago

Running Firefox 80.0.1, in Linux.

Printing from the File menu seems to work okay.

Printing to PDF, since I'm lazy and cheap. :)

I don't know a lot about the new Microsoft Edge but I think it's just based on the open source Chromium browser.

As is Google Chrome.

Predictably, by default, they both use their own search engines.

Google Chrome uses Google Search.

Microsoft Edge uses Bing.

jtc thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

What does anyone find to be "buggy" with Google? Seems like an odd comment.

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    3 years ago

Dadoes...You forgot SMTP.

Elmer...I'm just full of "odd comments". Doncha know!😉 IMO...Google is a bit more secure today than it once was. My opinion of them hasn't improved much but that's my PO. I don't like them. I don't like or use social programs...like FB and the like...either. And that's my user prerogative. FF and DuckDuckGo have served me well over the years. I don't try to improve upon perfection.

jtc thanked User
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    3 years ago

When I got my new laptop with Windows 10 a few years ago, it came with a pre-installed Opera browser (in addition to Edge) that I like very much. It is also Chromium based, has excellent security and ad blocking features and is fast and efficient. Not a resource hog, I can run multiple open tabs and stream several services simultaneously. I have had NO issues with it whatsoever!

And interestingly enough, few if any of the glitches with this website that folks complain about constantly - unable to load photos, posting difficulties, etc. - ever affect me using this browser.

While it doesn't claim a very large market share of available browsers, it has a pretty devoted following and the reviews are for the most part excellent.

And as I dislike Bing intensely, I never access Edge. I much prefer Google.

jtc thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"Google is a bit more secure today than it once was. My opinion of them hasn't improved much but that's my PO.

I guess I can ask again - what exactly is it about Google that concerns you? You also used the word "buggy", which is an odd comment to use to describe a company whose broad scope of operations is very significant to the internet and the world of technology. What did you have in mind in saying that?

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • User
    3 years ago

I've gone as fer as I'm gonna go with this subject, Elmer. If you like Google and have had no issues with it then...by all means...enjoy your usage of it. My personal choice is to avoid it.

jtc thanked User
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"And as I dislike Bing intensely, I never access Edge. I much prefer Google."

You can change the search setting the Edge browser uses to Google or anything else very easily

-Click on 3 dots at upper right

-Settings

-Privacy search and services

-Address bar and search (you need to scroll to the very bottom to find this)

-Search Engine used in Address bar. Change to Google.

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

"If you like Google and have had no issues with it then...by all means...enjoy your usage of it. My personal choice is to avoid it."

You started off by saying "buggy". I'm sorry but I think you're fooling yourself with limited information. Google is ubiquitous. You avoid it? So here's a partial list of what you must "avoid", some of which I'm certain you didn't know about:

- User and context sensitive ad placements and website gymnastics for websites and web hosting. They're #1 in this field, impossible to avoid, even with an ad blocker because customers use it for internal page view composition too.

- You Tube

- Android OS for tablets and phones and Chrome OS for Chromebooks

- Gmail - the best and most secure email system available. Also the most used including by many businesses and government agencies who realize it provides an easier and cheaper solution. Do you refuse to receive or send emails with Gmail users? How do you do that?

- Google maps, Waze - The most used map, traffic and GPS systems available. Used in many cars.

- Nest thermostats and Google home automation

- Website hosting, data storage, IT infrastructure and services, server farm services. This is another one that's impossible to "avoid". They're huge, here's a partial list of customers. How do you "avoid" these when you don't know what the hosting service is that any particular company uses?

Google Cloud

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

I didn't forget SMTP, just didn't mention it in what was aimed to be reasonably simplified information.

jtc thanked dadoes
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

What have you decided to do, jtc? Have you resolved your problem?

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • woodrose
    3 years ago

I use both Firefox and Chrome. I like both of them almost equally. I have had no problems with any recent Firefox updates. I've been using Google forever, it seems. Anyone remember when you had to get an "invite" to use Gmail ? I wanted to use Gmail so badly, because I wanted something besides the email program offered by my internet provider, and didn't like Hotmail, etc. Finally, they offered a Gmail account to my son and he sent me an invite...woo hoo ! Funny how that was such a big deal back then.

jtc thanked woodrose
  • joann_fl
    3 years ago

Bookworm, my chrome has the tool bar. Its there at all times. Maybe you need an adjustment .

jtc thanked joann_fl
  • Bookwoman
    3 years ago

joann, what does your toolbar have on it?

jtc thanked Bookwoman
  • jtc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Elmer, haven't resolved the problem. Have been using Chrome when FF freezes, but not happy without toolbars. Tried Internet searches about how to add toolbar to c

3 years ago

What "toolbars" are missing?

A toolbar that comes standard with Firefox?

Not the "Bookmark toolbar"? (I think that's the only standard component that Mozilla is labeling a "toolbar".

Does it have navigational buttons? (Back, Forward, Refresh, Home, etc.)

Or is it a third party toolbar that you added special? (Search, price comparison, coupon finder, something similar)

If it is an add-on that you added, I'm not saying it's not useful, since it is to you, and worth fixing, but it might be the reason Firefox is freezing.

What was it called? What did it do when it was there?

jtc thanked Richard (Vero Beach, Florida)
  • olychick
    3 years ago

I don't know if this could be the problem, if the toolbar that's missing is the top one in Richard's photo that says Firefox, File, Edit, View...etc...but a couple of times when that has disappeared, I couldn't figure out how to make it appear again, then discovered that I'd clicked on the green button in the top left corner (who knows why) and it expands to full screen eliminating the tool bar. The only way to find it again (for me) is to hover my cursor up near the very top of the page and the toolbar appears but won't stay showing. I have to click again on the green button to make it return to the normal view. I know it's basic knowledge for some, but if you don't know that it can be very frustrating.

jtc thanked olychick
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Here's a screen snip. The Firefox normal menu bar is like any other Windows program. Click to enlarge

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • dadoes
    3 years ago

Firefox has a full-screen mode that hides all toolbars. F11 key toggles it.

Moving the mouse to the top edge of the screen when in full-screen mode shows the tab headers and the navigation bar but not the Bookmarks Toolbar or the Menu Bar.

jtc thanked dadoes
  • Jasdip
    3 years ago

I don't like Firefox at all. I don't find it very user-friendly, but that's just me, as a lot of people use it.

I solely use Opera and Chrome. Never IE/Edge

jtc thanked Jasdip
  • olychick
    3 years ago

Dadoes there is no F1 on a mac. You either have to hit esc key or place your cursor at the top to have the toolbar appear, then click on the green button to have it stay at the top and not disappear again.

jtc thanked olychick
  • Elmer J Fudd
    3 years ago

Opera was bought by Chinese interests a few years ago. While now a publicly traded company, the Chinese investors still own and control it. I'm not necessarily a conspiracy theorist but I avoid companies like this and also ones like Kaspersky (which is Russian) when it comes to internet and software choices. The conduct of both is more likely to be benign than nefarious but nefarious activities are possible. There are plenty of comparable and even better alternatives to choose from so it's easy to avoid any issues by avoiding their products.

jtc thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • jtc
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Sorry, the power went out when I last tried to respond. I really like FF because of the menu bar. The only reason I was looking for another is because I have been having issues such as not responding. Try as I might, I can't get a menu bar on chrome which I have been using when FF fails.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Did you see what I wrote above about Richard's hint to click on the shield in the address bar, to the left of the padlock? I have found I've had to turn of FF "enhanced tracking protection" with that shield to get many websites to work correctly. Every time I have to do it, I sent feedback to FF (it's set up in that shield to be able to send feedback) telling them it's not working correctly.

jtc thanked olychick
Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022