SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
maria_kovacs

Don Juan Rose - train or don’t train

Maria Kovacs
3 years ago

I am wondering if anyone here grows a Don Juan climbing rose. Mine is 4 years old now and this year I had quite a few flowers on it that’s just lasts and lasts and they smell so wonderful. Blooms on both old and new wood. It’s kind of between a rose bush and a climber and that is where I am having some problems knowing what to do with it. The older wood I have is shorter (3-4 ft)and it sends up new shoots regularly about 1ft high with flowers at the end. I trim the spent flowers in a way that the next shoot grows outward, and creates a cone shape plant. Last year’s branches quickly turn woody and do not bend. the new shoots that came out of the base this year are somewhat flexible but also feel fragile. They grew to a graceful 7ft cane with a flower or two at the end. - so my question is do I try to train those horizontally for more laterals and if yes how do I do it so I don’t break those fat fragile canes? Or do I just leave them swinging put up with less flowers and prune the bush back in the spring into a shorter 4ft bush?

Comments (5)