SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Do you grow roses named after people you don't like?

redsox_gw
16 years ago

Since many roses are named after celebs and political figures, I wondered how many growers out there grow roses named after people they really dislike. Would you grow a Stalin Rose, for example? No offense meant to the Stalin lovers on the forum.

Comments (150)

• ostrich
    16 years ago

You guys are just too funny! Thanks for giving me a good laugh on a Sunday morning.

I probably would avoid buying the rose if it's name after someone that I don't like... but I might consider it if it's really pretty, fragrant, vigorous, disease resistant and care-free... OK, so it does not exist!!! LOL

• madame_hardy
    16 years ago

Nope!

I love my roses names as much as their blooms, and I've specifically avoided a few for their names alone. Betty Boop, Rosie O, and Babs come to mind; others are religious/belief based. Almost ordered Charles Darwin once by mistake, but then thought twice and went with Graham T instead. I don't do modern celeb or pol. roses, just because--mainly due lack of interest more than anything else. Thought about Princess Di (loved her, and the rose) but it seemed so...I don't know...too modern I guess.

Call me whatever, but I'd never grow a rose named for someone whom I particularly dislike. The disliked "person in my past" names wouldn't bother me as much as the political or historical figure type names.

On the flip side--I adored Julia Child, but her rose leaves me with "eh" nothing. Go figure.

• Related Discussions

What do you have that you don't water? (not roses)

Q

Comments (17)
    Redsox, in case right now you want to read about different kinds of plants and plan out your beds so they will look like what you want them to, you might be interested in some perennial design books. One I like is "The Perennial Gardener's Design Primer" by Cohen and Ondra. I read it in the library and then bought a used copy online through Amazon. the information is realistic, I think. Also, a book I love is "The Well Tended Perennial Garden" - she tells you how to maintain and prune those perennials you wind up buying. The Southern Living Garden Book gives a run down on almost every plant that will grow in the south. I bought this one used too and refer to it often. You've gotten some great advice on plants, but if you're like me, you only have so much money to spend and will want to invest it in what will give you pleasure. I always like to know what I'm getting before I buy it. Good luck, and your babies will grow up too soon and then you'll be able to garden a lot more. In the meantime, I applaud your gardening at all; mine were a mess when my kids were little. Also, if there's any kind of garden club in your area, there will be a lot of old ladies like me who will love to help you get started and give you some plants from their yard.
    ...See More

What Do You Do When The Grass Don't Grow?

Q

Comments (21)
    Re: Bugs/"Circle of Death" My father-in-law has one of those old time Bernz-o-Matic propane bug foggers...you know: the kind you light with a match and it sends out a "James Bond" smoke screen of bug killer? MAN! is that thing fun to use!!! If you let it warm up REAL GOOD (HOT!) before you pull the spray trigger it will send out enough fog to make the house disappear from view from the street. On a calm night it's like something from a 1950's horror movie. GREAT toy!
    ...See More

If people don't lke you does that cause fewer people to

Q

Comments (40)
    I post too only when I feel I have something to contribute so please don't feel your posts are being ignored. You are welcome here. And, in defense to some of the long-time Kitchen Forum posters, there are times when you post and think, why bother, because it leaves a bad taste in your mouth. For example, not too long ago, someone asked if anyone had a Moen Extensa faucet and if they did, could they answer a few questions. Having 2 Moen Extensa faucets, I felt qualified to respond and did so. After posting, I continued to monitor the thread just in case the OP came back with additional questions. That was my mistake. The next poster says words to the effect "I looked at Moen Extensa faucets and saw they had a plastic spray button on the top which looked cheap so I went with something else" and then the poster went on to rave about the faucet he/she purchased that cost 3 times as much as a Moen Extensa. I shouldn't sit in judgment of that poster but I can't help but wonder how useful that post was to the OP who may or may not be able to afford a more expensive faucet and was really asking for people with Moen Extensa faucets to discuss their experiences with them. Had the next poster owned a Moen Extensa faucet and said "I really hate the plastic spray button and wish I'd never bought it," I'd have no quarrel with the post. But I would think, if one is considering the purchase of a Moen Extensa faucet, that means one has gotten past "appearance issues" and is interesting in hearing how the faucet performs, so a post of that nature is not only unhelpful, it's rude. If you experience enough situations like that, your zeal for posting diminishes.
    ...See More

Don't you hate it when you forget people...

Q

Comments (3)
    My sister and I were trying to remember the name of a girl we went to HS with.....I can usually remember by the next day but this has been over a week and she still can't remember it either! I am normally good with names and people...... Patti-Could it be Donna, Margie, Susan, Sherry, Paula, Pamela, or Patti? LOL-Just trying to help:)
    ...See More
  • newyorkrita
    16 years ago

I have roses named after people, Diana Princess of Wales, Charles Aznavour and Julia Child come to mind. This spring I intend to get July Garland. Most names I have no thoughts on either way. But there are roses out there named after people I absolutely can NOT stand and in that case I will never grow the rose. Never because everytime I had to say or even think the name of it, I would get agravated. So no, it would never grow in my garden.

• windeaux
    16 years ago

I've grown (and thoroughly enjoyed) the beautiful HT 'Anne Morrow Lindbergh' since its introduction. When I'm working around it, though, seems I always think of the fact that AML & her husband Charles were two prominent Americans who were vocal Nazi sympathizers during the early days of WWII. I don't know about Charles, but I think Anne eventually came to regret her stance. At any rate, I love her namesake rose & hope it will always be part of my garden. I guess I agree with the unpopular person way above (Jackson?), who can't understand why anyone would reject a flower because it has been saddled with an unattractive name.

• dimitrig
    16 years ago

I grow Barbra Streisand even though she's not my fave.

However, I am eagerly awaiting a "Britney Spears" rose
    after hearing that there is a "Liv Tyler" rose. :)

• newyorkrita
    16 years ago

Yes, but the Britney Spears rose would always be in rehab.

• mariannese
    16 years ago

I notice this is a revived thread but nobody has answered CJ's question about the name Sexy Rexy. Sam McGredy IV, the hybridizer, used to give his seedlings nicknames, long before the final decision was made to sell or reject a variety. The nickname was usually changed before marketing but in this case the Europeans asked him to keep the name. Rex Hotchin was an old mate of Sam's and Sam asked him if it was alright with him. He laughed and said go ahead. Sam gave Rex all the awards and medals that the rose won and he displayed them proudly in his living room. The rose lived up to its name, it is a very good seed parent.

• mariannese
    16 years ago

I don't dislike Alexandra Renaissance (aka Prinsesse Alexandra) or the divorced former princess herself (now degraded to countess) but I'd feel a bit stupid growing the rose. My husband and I happened to be in Copenhagen on the day Alexandra Manley married prince Joachim and stood waving Danish flags by the route of the procession. My husband would feel even more stupid as he disapproves of royalty and can't believe he actually did wave his stupid paper flag.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas
    16 years ago

Dont care for the white rose John F. Kennedy as its supposed to not grow well. But always thought it would be funny to plant that one next to Marilyn Monroe......And also wondered why a rose was not named for the perenially lovely and classy Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis......

I wouldnt grow Rosie O'Donnell, I find her crass and dont like the color of the rose named for her. However.....if I liked the rose, would probably grow it and not be bothered by the name. And I would definitely not have a George Bush in my garden. My son in in the Navy and to think he might have to go to Iraq, possibly not come home, just to satisfy the ego of this fool....I dont care how beautiful the rose might be. But, after all, a name is just a name.....its the quality of the rose that counts.

• cambel
    16 years ago

jaxondel, I'm surprised that you would be so insulting to people on here. If somebody doesn't want to grow a rose because they don't like that person why would you call them small minded. Let me ask you this, have you ever been dumped or had somebody in your life you disliked? Would you like to be reminded of them everyday when you walked in your garden? So if there are people on here that say for instance despise Rosie O'Donnell, why should they be reminded of somebody they dislike every day when there are thousands of other beautiful roses out there. Perhaps they aren't the small minded ones.

• susan4952
    16 years ago

I had a John Kennedy that was miserable until I placed him next to Marilyn Monroe...he perked right up.
    I would never buy a Nancy Reagan...becuase I think it would look anorexic and apathetic

• kathy_george_gw
    16 years ago

Way earlier - for whom was the rose Just Joey named? A family member of the hybridizer?

• len511
    16 years ago

there is an artist just joey with a web page in the u.k.

• diggerdave
    16 years ago

Just Joey's breeder (Roger Pawsey) wanted to name the rose after his wife, Joanna. The story was told that she said the name should be just "Joey". So "Just Joey" it became.

• barb_r
    16 years ago

I wasn't exactly happy that the 1 time in my life I got to go to Italy and France coincided with the death of Pope John Paul II. The Pope died when we were in Paris and we could never figure out the TV there so it was pretty much the dead Pope on TV every day. (We were slated to leave for Rome and we did. It was kinda scary since they said so many people would be streaming into Rome. It turned out Okay since we went pretty much directly from Rome to La Spezia and the Cinque Terra via train.
    I just bought the white Tea named after him and I hope it will do well for me. God Bless the Pope!!!

iZZ

• veelakin
    16 years ago

Cambel,
    Since the shoe apparently fits . . .

• Carrie_AZ
    16 years ago

If a rose is pretty and I like it I am gong to buy it. I too don't agree with some of the Roman Cathloic churchs beliefs but I just purchased the Pope John Paul rose. I have been wanting this rose for sometime now. I also have 2 Princess Diana roses, I admired her very much and that was the reason I purchased 2 and some of the money goes to her charities. I have a Babs, I love her singing but her politics is another thing, and I did not buy Babs for the name I liked the color. If I want a rose bad enough I will buy it regardless of the name, unless it was named Hilter as some said above, there is a limit.
    Carrie

• sandy808
    16 years ago

I would never buy a rose that was named after an evil person either.

I do find that sometimes the name of a rose turns me off though, and I don't buy it. On the other hand, some of the names are pretty, or given with love, so I find that they tend to be my special ones. I haven't ever seen a rose I would call ugly. There might be colors that aren't my favorite, but all roses are beautiful - from the singles to the old fashioned fully petalled ones.

Sandy

• the_morden_man
    16 years ago

Sure did once. The rose was Barbara Streisand. It was a gift from a friend on the West Coast. Was grafted on Dr. Huey and was a BS magnet. Turned out I liked the rose less than i like the namesake. Was more than happy to take a shovel to it. The rose, not the person. But the thought brings a smile to my face in either case.

• triple_b
    16 years ago

I have Dolly Parton and the blooms are huge.

Blooms being a euphemism for....

Forgive my childish humor. sorry. SNORT!!LOL!!

• cambel
    16 years ago

triple_b I'm assuming that huge blooms are euphemism for her ....wigs??? lol

• patricianat
    16 years ago

I grow which roses I like, so names never enter into it. If you garden for the joy of thinking about somebody who rocks your socks or who votes the way you want, then you need to weed more than your garden.

• newyorkrita
    15 years ago

Well, I can't immagine anyone naming a rose after any of the truely evil figgures of history, or at least the more modern ones.

• scorpiohorizon
    15 years ago

I am totally late to this thread. Hope nobody minds if I resurrect it.

I am an English teacher. As such, having studied psychology, linguistics, etc., I can say that words can have deeply rooted psychological connotations. Not only do I find it totally normal that a person would avoid a rose with a name of a person they disliked, I find it predictable. Names are very important. They come to encompass who a person is. Names are not just words--they imply character. In fact, words are not just words. They carry much connotative weight. Next time someone calls you something horrible and it hurts your feelings or makes you angry, think about whether or not you truly believe that words are meaningless.

With that said, I haven't avoided roses because of their names, but I have bought them because of the names. After my grandma Maggie died, I bought "Maggie." It seemed aporopos that Maggie didn't overwinter. DH joked that he saw Maggie smoking a lot out there in the yard and that she wanted to be watered with whiskey. I told him that did not shock me, as she was a bourbon. We dealt with the situation with dark humor, as grandma had issues with alcohol and eventually died of lung cancer from smoking too much. But the truth is, I was sad to lose the rose. So I tried "Irish Hope" next, because Grandma was so proud of being Irish. Can you tell me what happened to Irish Hope that winter? Yes, she died. My next try will be "St. Cecilia," as grandma was a musician and had a picture of "Sissy" over her piano. If Sissy dies, I will not give up until I find a rose that likes my yard. Why? Because the NAME of the rose honors my grandma.

The English teacher in me has bought Glamis Castle (Macbeth was Thane of Glamis), Tess of the D'Ubervilles, and I want a lot of other grandly named Austins such as those named after the Canterbury Tales and Shakespearean dramas. Glamis Castle never did well for me, but dammit, I'd buy it again. Why? Beacause I abso-freaking-lutely LOVE that play.

So with that, I am outta here.

Jennifer

• kimcoco
    15 years ago

Since you brought this back, Jennifer, I thought I'd chime in...

My first thought was, that would be silly not to purchase a rose just because of a name. Then I thought of someone that I absolutely despise...if I even hear this persons name it is not a pleasant feeling...and so my answer would have to be "absolutely not!"

I think it's common to hear people say they don't want to name their kids such and such name because they knew someone with the same name that they didn't have fond memories of, so it doesn't surprise me.

I do have a Don Juan though...but because it is a nice red :)

• jerijen
    15 years ago

There are very few current "politically-named" roses I would grow but most of
    my roses are "antiques."
    Many of them are named for people, but ALL of those people are long-dead, and their sins
    died with them, or have become relatively inoffensive with the passing of time.

Even with early Hybrid Teas -- it's difficult, for instance, to be passionate about
    Herbert Hoover.

Jeri

• gilli2007
    15 years ago

Well said, Jennifer,

Words and names are very powerful and for a lot of people the relationship between names or words and feelings or emotions is very strong. Rather than denoting a "small mind" I would be more inclinded to believe it indicates someone with a great sense of self.

If the name of a rose doesn't evoke a positive emotional respose with you, why would you bother to put it in your garden. For myself, the name can either make or break the rose. In the above post Jeri says "it's difficult, for instance, to be passionate about Herbert Hoover". I totally agree. How on earth, no matter how pretty or how lovely it smells, can you ever attach any kind of positive response to a name like that??

Would you respond the same way to a rose named "Joan's lust" or "Annie's wail" as you would to "Annie's Song" or "Joan's Desire"? Of course not.

So, I rest my case...!! Keep on choosing the roses that inspire you or make you feel good. And, if the name doesn't cut it, remember that it is an indication of how in tune you are with your emotional side, NOT an indication of small mindedness.

Gilli

• jerijen
    15 years ago

Of course, we SHOULD remember that, at one time in the nation's history,
    it probably WAS possible to be passionate about Herbert Hoover.

Times change, and what is, or is not "politically-correct" also changes.

Jeri

• greenhaven
    15 years ago

I would grow a rose specifically to honor someone I loved very dearly. On the other hand, I would not turn down growing a good rose just because it had a stupid name or was named after someone I don't like or don't agree with. For instance, I have PJPII planted right next to Live Tyler, and they thrive! And I love them both. Gorgeous and healthy so far. But I am very, very NOT Catholic, and I call Liv Tyler by her original name, Comtesse de Provence. I grow Barbra Streisand and am dying to find a place for Julia Child, but their names have nothing to do with why they grow in my garden.

If someone is ever foolhardy enough to name a rose after an evil person I would consider very, very carefully before purchasing the rose. Everyone has their limits, I suppose.

scorpiohorizon, you REALLY need a Jude the Obscure. What a very un-obscure rose! I only read the book after I ordered the rose.

• amberroses
    15 years ago

I think there is a big difference between a rose named for someone you don't really like and a rose named for a mass murderer. You can't compare Rosie O'Donnell to Hitler. Rosie O'Donnell rose would be fun to show your friends and maybe anthropomorphize a bit and tell her off. Hitler is not fun. Charles Manson is not fun. Thankfully roses are thoughtfully marketed and usually not named after serious bad guys or gals.

• snowling888
    15 years ago

I brought some roses named after people by accident. Now I have JFK, Mr. Lincoln, Miss American All Beauty, Peace in the same flowerbed. So next spring I plan to remove some other roses and plant Fourth of July, America, American Pillar, to make a theme.
    Lucky, I don't like Barbra Streisand or the rose named after her. I don't find China Doll is fun, too, even it is not named after a person. That was the American guys called me behind my back when I was in collage.

• dak513
    15 years ago

I love polyanthas, and grew Nurse Edith Cavell because of her story. It's great when there is a real story behind the naming of a rose.

• seattlesuze
    15 years ago

If I grew GW Bush, I'd plant him next to my Melba peach. And boy, would I love to eat those peaches.

Sue

• natalie4b
    14 years ago

I found this thread by accident (though there is no such thing as accident :)).
    I would really hesitate purchasing a rose named after someone I dislike. And even if I did - i would probably subconciously try to kill it :).
    That is true for other plants as well. I love the Obedient plant, but never would grow it in my garden.
    The other day I was shopping for hostas, and found one I liked till I saw it's name: Red October. That is in the same category for me as Stalin rose.

I had a good time this morning reading the posts in this thread. Very entertaining and informative at the same time.
    Now, I hope there is not such rose or a plant of any kind named Hitler or Osama. Please tell me there isn't.

~Natalie

• mgleason56
    14 years ago

Thanks for the reminder that today is my brothers birthday!

• bgrose
    14 years ago

I have prejudice against one person and will never buy a rose having the name of an Irish saint. I respect the saint but that person is not a saint at all.

• Zyperiris
    14 years ago

I am not Catholic either..and I am not religious either. But I respected what John Paul meant to others and I am proud to have the rose. Funny, I would not want a Bush or Reagan rose. I would have an Obama rose however. LOL

• zeffyrose
    14 years ago

I wonder how I missed this post the first time around---

I love the story of Ghislaine de Feligonde.

The rose was named after a lady who went into "no man's land" after WW1 to rescue her DH-----No one else would go in the area-

the rose also filled all my requirements for a rose---

It is a beauty and doing well in my "too shady" garden

Florence

• roseman
    14 years ago

What possible difference could it make? If you like the rose, grow it! We are talking about the rose here not your least favorite people.

• odyssey3
    14 years ago

I definitely avoid growing roses because I dislike the names. I refuse to grow Faith Whittlesey and Tipsy Imperial Concubine. It's no big deal, since there are more roses to buy than I could have in my garden anyway. I think of the names of my roses each time I approach one. "How is Radio Times doing today?" or "I got my first bloom from Maman Cochet." Why would I want to say the name of something that annoys me every time I think of it?

• scardan123
    14 years ago

Fortunately the roses I like, mostly have crazy names no human being ever had (I hope so at least!).

I have one BECAUSE of it's name.

In case there would be a rose I like but with a name I don't like, I would suddenly "forget" its name and it would become the "lovely unknown" :-)

Well, a hypothetical Adolf Hitler Rose would not be welcomed here anyway. But who ever would name a rose like that?!?

• henryinct
    14 years ago

There are some people you admire and when you have the rose named for them well it just gives you a good feeling. For example Judy Garland was the greatest musical talent in Hollywood history and she led a tragic life but can't you just see her in Easter Parade with Fred Astaire? And the Judy Garland rose is great as well; a vigorous yellow/red floribunda that is always in bloom. Another is Karen Blixen who you will know if you saw 'Out of Africa'. She was a great woman and a great story teller and writer who struggled by herself in Africa for 18 years. Her rose is a a very good white HT which I have only because of who it is named for. BTW, I highly recommend 'Out of Africa' which I have reviewed in IMDB.

• sammy zone 7 Tulsa
    14 years ago

I won't buy Napoleon or Marchiel Niel. I doubt if I even spelled the latter one correctly.
    Sammy

• susz52
    14 years ago

I will buy any rose but the name will change. I re-name such roses for someone I like. Any one who asks me what the rose is gets the new moniker, period. There is Jerry, Elldene, Big Sue and Linda in honor of my grand neighbours. I have had these roses 6 years or so and in two cases can't remember what they are at all. Susz

• run_with_scissors
    14 years ago

I'd probably hesitate a moment or two if the rose name evoked a negative reaction. And the marketers are aware of this. They don't want to have a namesake which most people would avoid. For example, years ago there was a cute lil' rose bush named after someone in the royal British family. "Fergie" to be exact.

Welllll, soon after the introduction of that rose the real Fergie was photographed poolside while having her toes sucked by someone (not her husband). Needless to say this created a hubbub in the news and a somewhat negative association with the rose shrub. The marketers quickly changed the name of the shrub to "Sunseeker". That cracks me up every time I think of it.

But while we have grown accustomed to the names of our roses, non-rose fanatics are simply unaware and my friends find it wildly amusing when I say something like, "That's George Burns! Isn't he looking good this year?"

What IS in a name anyway? My last name is Butcher and it's prevented me from seeking employment as a baby sitter, veterinarian or even a medical examiner. But it is a great name for a hockey player.

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

I have a row of HTs in my driveway: Barbara Bush, Queen Mary II, Peter Mayle, Pope John Paul II, Gertrude Jekyll and poor Just Joey. I call it my celebrity row and have a laugh almost every time I am there (which is pretty often). Mostly I am pretty relaxed about the names, although I infinitely prefer Comtesse de Provence to Liv Tyler. And I think David Austin is (mostly) doing a great job naming his roses :-).
    Masha

• jaxondel
    14 years ago

Well, as usual, Shakespeare has the last word here, doesn't he? Remember the memorable words he placed upon Juliet's lips . . .

"What's in a name?
    That which we call a rose
    By any other name would smell as sweet."

Who cares what name the marketing 'experts' decide to confer on a rose? It's a plant, for god's sake. If its attributes appeal to your aesthetic sensibilities and conform to your zonal conditions, then grow it -- even if it's commercial name leaves you cold.

Try as I might, I just can't imagine why anyone would refuse to grow a rose because someone encumbered it with an unattractive name.

• mashamcl
    14 years ago

I have been thinking about this, jaxondel. I am not sure how the whole process of naming a rose works, so I am just guessing (as probably a lot of rose buyers). I someone named a rose Hitler (or whatever unpleasant character), that someone must like Hitler. He might be getting some money for naming that rose (from me among other people who buy it). Maybe the rose breeder agreed to that name, too, which means he likes Hitler too. Why should I give money to such people however good a rose is? That would be my concern.

On a lighter note, there are so many roses to choose from, and such limited space in the garden, you have to set some limiting criteria :-))

Masha

• teka2rjleffel
    14 years ago

I'm afraid that if there was a George W Bush in the rose bed the entire garden would start to fall apart in a few years. Couldn't take that chance, ha ha.
    I love the name 'Tipsy Imperial Concubine' but I don't think the rose is very pretty. The same with 'Fancy Pants' which is my nickname for people who are really full of themselves (I live in Palm Beach County, lots of them here.)
    Nancy

• henryinct
    14 years ago

For me there is the urge to compare the rose with the namesake. For example, JFK the rose is not great. It is weak and not really fragrant as claimed and is basically just an ordinary white that does not deserve the special acclaim that it gets. I gave it the spade many years ago. Likewise Ronald Regan. I can't for the life of me remember what possessed me to get it in the first place. I don't know if there is a 'W' rose but if I had it I would worry that it would somehow destroy the garden so I would get rid of it as soon as possible. If and when they produce an Obama rose you can be sure I will be one of the first to get one because I know that it can't help but be great.