SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txskeeter_gw

Bits and pieces?

TXSkeeter
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Just curious as to what others do. I'm somewhat used to seeing recipes and instructions noting "use half of one chicken breast" or "use half of a zucchini and (process in some labor intensive way)" or "use one third of a small can of tomato puree" or pick out any other food items that you will have some portion left over if you follow the recipe directions.

In this case, I just pulled up a great looking spinach and white bean soup recipe that called for using one half of a garlic clove. Excuse me? It's not like your average garlic clove is as big as a orange so why not just use the whole clove? Based on the total amount of ingredients stated, it's doubtful that one half of much of anything would make much of a taste difference so why have the leftover half? You're going to store it until you have another recipe that calls for the other half? I think not...

I already have a half small can of tomato paste sitting in the door of the frig, all covered in plastic wrap and rubber banded to be air tight but to use on what concoction I might come across and be inspired to prepare?

This recipe business is necessary I suppose if you want to become a really good cook but quite honestly, I'm more of the look at the picture, peruse a list of the proposed ingredients, see what I actually have in the pantry then try to put what I actually have together to make a tasty dish. Now, to be sure I have always heartily admired those REAL cooks and kitchen people that can make the most amazing dishes, especially those flour dusted souls that have planned ahead and have the ingredients on hand to do so, i.e.: various flours, cheeses, spices, bits of this and that and the imagination to go with all those variables so that they what to use and when and how. I also have to admit that I'm not a baker so exact ingredients are not usually called for.

To be upfront about it, I have probably 50 to 75 nice cookbooks, some purchased new, some purchased used, some thin freebies like they give out at the state fair or from a manufacturer, some that were just passed on to me instead of being chunked into some progressive cook's trashcan and some like the Joy of Cooking that just kind of appeared and I look at them all from time to time for ideas but actually try to follow a recipe? Doubt I could even if I tried... and if I have half of most anything left over, invariably it goes in the pot and I doubt anyone has ever noticed.

So what do you do with bits and pieces of stuff that a recipe doesn't tell you to add? Cause I know you don't throw them away....

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz