SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcotayo

Flooring for kitchen/den and dining room help

Danielle
3 years ago

Hi, I currently have 3 types of flooring on my first floor. The front of the house is a hardwood which I love (we had it refinished about 5 years ago). The dining room and kitchen are a laminate. The den, which is attached to the kitchen, is an engineered hardwood that I put in about 5 years ago.

The kitchen/den area was an addition to the original house. The current dining room was the original kitchen. I am assuming that when they built the addition, the flooring in the original kitchen was too much of a mess and that's why they put the laminate over it. We are looking to redo our kitchen/den area. It is currently separated by a load bearing wall which we will take down, but since we will need a beam there will still be some visual separation.

I am having trouble picking new flooring. I want all the laminate gone.

I would like a light/medium stain on the kitchen cabinets with a greyish tint.

I have included a rough diagram of the floor layout as well as the current flooring.

What's a good flooring option that will flow from the dining room through to the kitchen/den area that will also go with the original hardwoods and kitchen cabinets with a stain? My husband likes the porcelain "hardwood" looking tiles, but I just think that won't look right next to the actual hardwood. I am also worried that a tile design will be just too much throughout all those rooms.

Also, any thoughts on the possibility of the floors under the dining room actually being salvageable?

Please, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hardwood in the living room, playroom, and office

Laminate in dining room from living room

Laminate in kitchen and engineered hardwood in den

Comment (1)