SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
18hellokitty

Refinished hardwood floors look nothing like the swatch. What to do?

18hellokitty
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Last year I bought my first home that came with brand new shiny bright cherry wood hardwood floors. I called in a local and highly recommended company to get an estimate on refinishing them as the color was not at all my style. They did some samples and turns out our hardwood is actually white oak that was stained red. We decided on a 50/50 of I believe special walnut and light walnut. The swatch looked awesome, cool toned, no orange and an overall nice brown color. I took a solid week to decide and looked at those samples at every hour of the day, under different lighting etc to be sure of my choice.

The floors were completed at the end of January and right away I could tell the color looked nothing like the swatch. The floors came out super smooth, nice finish and minimal dust. I decided to let the color thing go. After looking more at the floors I realized there were several spots (in almost every room) that looked like little bubbles or bumps. I called the contractor back and while he said you can never get the floor totally perfect, he agreed that it seemed a little off. He was due to come back with another guy to further asses but then covid hit and he asked us to wait it out. I agreed and he said he would be in touch.

Needless to say, he hasn't been in touch. I can see from his companies Facebook page that they're working again so I want to get in touch. However, now I have a new dilemma. I really, really do NOT like the color of the floors. They are incredibly warm and orange, the exact opposite of the swatch. They used a water based poly so I am really surprised the color changed as much as it did from the swatch. I don't want to be nit picky but between the color being off and the weird marks on the floor, I feel like asking for a re-do.

Curious to see what others think and what you guys would do. I'm almost at the point of even seeing if he'd give me a deal if he wouldn't do them over completely. But I don't know if I'm out of line and I don't want to look like a fool. Any advice would be appreciated.

White oak underneath

Close up of the sample we went with

All the samples that were done

The color of the floors today

Another closeup of the floors today

Here's a few better photos of what the floor looked like after it was sanded.

Comments (32)