SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiny_spider

Problem with realtor

tiny spider
3 years ago
last modified: 3 years ago

Every year my husband and I visit a highly acclaimed winery and buy 2 cases. We drink one and save one in a downstairs office. We have 11 cases. A few nights ago we went visit his sister and decided to gift her with a 7 year old bottle. When my husband looked in the case 4 bottles were missing. He opened all the cases and discovered every box had 3 or 4 bottles missing. Each bottle is worth about 150.00. Someone had removed the bottles and carefully restacked the cases. In eleven years we have only taken out 3 bottles. My Realtor, with the exception of my 24 year old daughter and her boyfriend, is the only person who has been in my house unaccompanied since we last accessed the wine. My house is being readied for the market and she has helped make several design choices. 3 times over the past 2 months she has insisted on waiting at the house for a service person to show up while I run to the slab yard or look at paint samples. She has been enormously helpful and gracious. The last time she was here waiting for the roofer some expensive chocolates disappeared from the cupboard. I assumed she got hungry and didn't begrudge her but thought it odd that someone would eat an entire box of Debauve & Gallai La livre chocolates. They were a gift from my daughter for my anniversary and cost around 200.00. After the wine theft was discovered my husband did a background check on her but nothing of note showed up. In the past week we have taken inventory and discovered a beautiful Raku teapot is also missing along with 3 handmade rolled up rugs we bought in Turkey 20 years ago. Because I have recently decluttered, with her help, I can't honestly say what else is missing. My husband talked to the neighbors who recommended her and it turns out she is the sister of our neighbor and that is the only basis upon which they recommended her. She does not have much of a sales history to speak of except her relatives homes. We would be her first nonrelative sale. I feel so conflicted right now and guilty because I was the one who insisted she be our realtor. Our house is set to go on the market when our countertops are installed. I am still making a design decision regarding the counters. My husband has already changed the locks and is insisting at the very least she not come in our house.

The realtor knows that we have cooled on her and jokingly said "if you change realtors at this stage I would have to charge a design consulting fee". We do not have a contract thank heavens. We were supposed to sign this weekend. At this point I don't know what to think of do. We only have suspicions and cannot prove anything. Up until this time she has been incredibly helpful and always willing to pitch in with . I do not agree with my husband's idea of just casting her aside based on suspicions. I don't know my daughter's boyfriend all that well.

Comments (69)

• bry911
    3 years ago

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and sounds like a duck... it might actually be a duck.

If the realtor stole your chocolate she probably stole your wine. You don't seem to doubt when or how the chocolate went missing so trust your instinct on the wine.

---

I know people want to believe that a realtor wouldn't do this, but I sometimes teach a class on fraud and guess what... it is usually the person who no one believed would do it, that did it.

• K R
    3 years ago

The first thing I’d do is ask my daughter. Yes she’s my daughter but she has been known to take things from my room and when I asked her she said she didn’t think I’d mind. At least rule it out. Next step security camera. Maybe stage something good and see if anyone bites.

• Related Discussions

Support footing in crawl question -- HELP!

Q

Comments (2)
    It seems highly unlikely that a structural matter like that would have changed in such a short time. Perhaps your home was not built to Code. Or perhaps the inspector is wrong. When Codes change, it's not necessary to rebuild the home to meet the new standards. Certainly concrete block or poured piers are more desirable as they are insect and rot proof.
    ...See More

A communication problem with our realtor

Q

Comments (22)
    If an agent told me it was too much trouble for her field calls for showings I would be looking at the listing agreement carefully to see if she was in breach of it. Or, is it possible you agreed to something that didn't put the responsibility for this on her? You need to look at your agreement. I will say that in most areas (at least for houses like mine) the likelihood that someone would find my house will driving around looking at other houses and want to see it is very unlikely. With the ability to easily search listings on the internet when I was looking for a house last year I didn't ever find any that I didn't find on the internet first. I did see a few houses while I was out looking that weren't on my list but inevitably they weren't on my list because they didn't meet my criteria. Kats Meow, When you relisting? Our phones and inboxes have started to ring over the last two weeks, after being dead for two months. Might want to get out there early to beat the Spring rush of sellers. We plan to meet with a couple of agents next week. I am planning to relist the first week in March, although possibly could relist a little earlier. For houses like ours (5 bedrooms so mostly families) you tend to start getting a lot of traffic in mid-March. The big issue we have to decide is how to handle our dogs. We have several large dogs and two indoor cats. Dogs are outdoors (staying in garage at night). For most of the time we were showing last year either DH or I lived at our other house with the dogs and cats so this house could be shown pet free. However, that is very difficult to sustain for a long time since we have kids. During late summer we moved back in here with pets for a couple of weeks and immediately got flack on showings. So DH moved back to the other house with the dogs and cats. While the house has been off the market we are all here with pets. The easy thing is for DH to move back to other house with the pets when we go back on market. However, many houses in this area are taking as long as 2 to 3 years to sell (pricing low doesn't necessarily seem to speed this up). I'm just not prepared to have my husband live separate from us for that length of time. We are considering putting in a showing time restriction (probably 12 hours, no showings before noon) and then just taking the dogs/cats and their paraphernalia to the other house whenever there is a showing so that people just don't see any evidence of pets. This is a big undertaking and would take a while to do hence the need for notice. We don't like the idea of a showing restriction but think it hurts us more to have no restriction but have dogs on the property during showings.
    ...See More

Problem with Realtor.com

Q

Comments (2)
    Are you using IE or firefox? When was the last time you dumped your temp files? You also may want to manually go and delete the realtor.com cookie. In IE click on tools internet options, click the button - delete files - for the cookies - you want to click on start - all programs - accessories - windows explorer - navigate to the C drive - it may say these files are hidden - click on view files - look for documents & settings - then the user name you are using - and cookies - once in cookies - find the one for realtor.com (should be alphabetical.) Close the browser and restart - type in realtor.com (in the url bar) and try to log in again. Hopefully one of these will work. If you're using firefox, the process is easier - tools - options - the privacy tab - you'll see an entry for cookies - click show cookies - then look for the one for realtor.com
    ...See More

Location Problem Listing with Realtor.com

Q

Comments (10)
    katinka-katinka: "There was a case near me where a buyer sued a real estate agent for saying that the house was in one town, but really wan't. I actually think the buyer lost, but I'm guessing real estate agents don't want to open themselves up to something like that." By any chance..was that the one in Montville? I followed that law suit...and I actually sided with the RE on that one...if I recall correctly, if you looked on a map, it was clear the property was in the Towaco section of Montville Township...not the Montville section.... If so, this link below seems to indicate that the buyers won...although IMO, that is a BIG stretch of the consumer fraud act...when in NJ thousands of people donÂt have an an address that reflects the town in which they live... We live in a municipality of one name...in a village of a different name within that municipality. There is no mail delivery to homes from our village post officeÂ..its too tiny....so our mailing address is that of the adjacent borough. However, we DO have our very own tiny village zip code...but any mail delivered to that zip code requires a PO Box. To complicate things further, there are two municipalities with our municipality's name in NJ....in two different counties...so we have found our name listed under the one in the other countyÂ.at least 50 miles away. Our phone lines come out of the nearest small city...so on various internet phone directories, we are listed as living in that city. Also, Âour mailing address zip code of the adjacent borough is ALSO the zip code of the next municipality over. The other municipality mailing address zip code is that of another borough altogether.....so, we have seven different names to deal with... This is why I sided with the REA in this one. :-) NJ Âgreat place to live if you are in the witness protection programÂLOL! Here is a link that might be useful: Misrepresentation of Location of House Can be Violation of Consumer Fraud Act
    ...See More
  • tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We hesitate to ask my daughter because we find ourselves walking on eggshells around her these days. She is very financially responsible and owns her own townhouse as of 6 months ago. She is very quick to cut anyone out of her life at the drop of a hat. She no longer speaks to any of her aunts or cousins due to imagined slights and refers to anyone as narcissistic and toxic who disagrees with her. She has always been a very confrontational and difficult person. Her boyfriend practices a religion where alcohol is prohibited. The one time he came to dinner at our house my daughter made sure We did not have any alcohol on the table. A neighbor saw him coming out of our garden shed several weeks ago when he borrowed my husbands masonry trowel. My husband made a stink about it because he is very particular about his tools and her boyfriend never asked.

• tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Regarding the chocolates..our realtor is the one who ate them. We laughed about it. I really didn't mind at the time. Once we install our cameras we will rest much easier. We are hiring a professional to install and teach us how they work and use the app. We have decided not to tell my daughter or her boyfriend about the cameras. If they mention it we will have a conversation. At this point we are going to just catch our breath and secure our home and property.

• olychick
    3 years ago

Not sure if you've ever seen this, but it might be worth the pain of
    cleaning it up to catch the thief in the act of stealing your wine.

• User
    3 years ago

100% agree Jane. I actually came back just to say....what about a cleaning person? Even a former cleaning person? Did a former trusted trades person have a key at one time? (I know of a daughter who gave her boyfriend a key to her parents house. Parents never knew that of course. Girl broke up with boyfriend, and boyfriend's new scuzzy friends used the key to steal a bunch of stuff!)

I trust (almost) no one. Or, maybe it's better to say, I exempt almost no one from scrutiny in these types of situations. Based on the new information about the daughter....she sounds a little unstable (and please don't hate me for saying that tiny spider) - but anyone who flies off the handle like that and cuts family out of their life over imagined insults has some sort of issues. And based on the new info., now we know the boyfriend has taken liberties in the past too.

The security cameras are a very wise move.

• Little Bug
    3 years ago

Yes, Patriceny. “We walk on eggshells” and “flies off the handle” are good clues about the daughter. It’s hard to discuss this with a family member, but you have to or just resign yourself to your daughter taking her inheritance early, piece by piece.

• bry911
    3 years ago

I don't care if your daughter stole your wine, or if the cleaning lady stole your wine, or if your dog stole your wine. The realtor took expensive chocolates without permission... were the chocolates placed in a bowl like mints at the exit of a restaurant?

You can suspect fifty other people if it makes you feel better and fifty other people might ALSO be guilty. However, you have one person who you know committed larceny.

Here is a free piece of advice for anyone, reading this... One of the many reasons that you don't steal small things, which I hardly consider $200 chocolates a small thing, is because when big things go missing you may be presumed guilty. That presumption exists because you have already shown a willingness to violate that trust and are the party known to be guilty.

I am not advising that you name the realtor in a criminal complaint, but your husband is changing the locks and requesting she not come back in the house... It doesn't sound like a solid foundation for a relationship that requires trust.

• jrb451
    3 years ago

So, you know for a fact the realtor stole the box of chocolates? Chocolates pair nicely with a good Cabernet Sauvignon. Just saying.....

• worthy
    3 years ago

Love the glitter Bait!

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"My husband has already changed the locks..."

"We have decided not to tell my daughter or her boyfriend about the cameras. If they mention it we will have a conversation."

Do not give your daughter a key to the new locks.

• chispa
    3 years ago

If you feel you have to give your daughter a key, then get an alarm system that has an online app. You and your DH have the master password and you can give different secondary passwords to kids, realtors and cleaning people. The ability for them to use their own password can be limited to certain days and hours, for example the cleaning lady would only have access on Tuesday mornings. With this system you will get a notification every time someone uses their password, so your daughter could never enter your house without you knowing ... and if your daughter doesn't reset the alarm after she leaves ... no problem, you can set/arm it from your app, so you would then know if your daughter tried to re-enter the property later as she would have to use her password again.

Between a smart/monitored alarm and cameras, you will know who is coming/going from your house at all times.

• Linda
    3 years ago

With 3 or 4 bottles missing out of every single one of 11 cases, you're talking about 33 to 44 bottles of wine. She would have had to make several trips in and out of the house. It doesnt seem logical that it was her. This sounds more like someone who was doing this over a long period of time. Either way, you must feel violated. I hope you find out who took it. I have a feeling, you are going to find a lot more stuff missing.

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

When I was getting caretakers for my husband I was warned that "You have nothing that isn't wanted by someone else. If it's important or valuable LOCK IT UP!" It was very good advice.

Having said that: It sounds to me as well that the wine theft has been occurring over a long period of time. And, 3 rolled carpets?! Q. Just how long was this woman in the house alone to have found and stolen so much?

Perhaps there a good reason your daughter is so touchy about being confronted. And the carpets may be adorning parts of the friend's house.... or her own.

• shars55
    3 years ago

This is why we installed camera in our house before putting it on the market. We disclosed it the fact that there were cameras installed in the listing. We saw some very interesting things. Realtors leaving my doors open despite the fact that we left notes on the doors telling them to close them as we have a indoor cat. Another realtor playing around with our lift system for the TV....it was not included in the sale so he had no reason to play with it. I'd never list my home for sale without cameras again.

• shars55
    3 years ago

Eating the chocolate was WRONG, too!!!

• Lyndee Lee
    3 years ago

Sounds like at least one addict is involved, maybe two. Might be drugs but more likely to be gambling in my opinion. Addicts are sneaky and manipulative and have lots of practice deceiving friends, spouses and family. It might be the daughter, her mate, both of them together and/or the realtor. Addicts abuse others in different ways and the daughter's behavior towards other family members is not positive. One never wants to be suspicious of their own children but addicts do the most damage to those closest to them.

• c t
    3 years ago

I'm mystified that a couple who can afford a $20,000 wine collection doesn't have any security system.

• mle0782
    3 years ago

The reality is that kids ,especially teens, do steal booze and sometimes other household items from their parents so anything is possible. Many years ago, I worked for a realtor and clients were told to clean out art, silver, jewelry, expensive handbags/belts, etc and all electronics/tools before putting houses on the market. Almost anything can walk away. The police always maintained that household help and scheduling extremely valuable items (like artwork and jewelry) on insurance riders exponentially increased the chance that thieves would target your home, even with cameras. No question, security cameras are a huge help but the only way to guarantee no theft is to remove items—always better to be safe rather than sorry.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I think she should check on her jewleries too.

• tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Luckily I do not have much in the way of jewelry.

• tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

From our initial meeting with the realtor she discouraged security cameras. Stating that it could be a legal issue and would make buyers uncomfortable in our home. We did not even bring it up. She is the one who brought It up. We were very naive in dealing with her. She insisted on helping me declutter and insisted on taking my donated items to a small thrift store that benefits animals. One of the volunteers is a friend and when I asked her about receiving my tax deduction receipt she told us they had not received any boxes on the day my realtor said she dropped my donations off. There were 8 boxes of designer clothing, purses and shoes not to mention some beautiful Christmas ornaments made from hand blown glass. My husband asked her about the donations and she told him she just dumped everything off by the door because of social distancing. My question is can she legally charge us a realtor/designer consulting fee?

• sushipup1
    3 years ago

Do you have any sort of contract with the realtor?

• bry911
    3 years ago

My question is can she legally charge us a realtor/designer consulting fee?

If you believe it could be a problem lay out the facts to your attorney and see what they think.

Here is my 2 cents... without a contract it would be difficult to charge you a fee. Which is different than saying impossible. Generally, the advice that a realtor gives in order to get your business would be considered part of their sales pitch to you. However, the doctrine of unjust enrichment does establish reasonable limits on that. You can't have a realtor paint your house and then claim you don't owe the realtor anything.

Given that, the realtor probably has no reasonable basis to charge you a consulting fee. However, does have some basis to charge you for their manual labor.

----

From our initial meeting with the realtor she discouraged security cameras. Stating that it could be a legal issue and would make buyers uncomfortable in our home.

I don't like security cameras in a home and would never have one in a home I was selling. In some states you are not allowed to record audio, as people have a reasonable expectation of privacy in conversations. So be careful about recording audio.

----

Most thefts are a crime of convenience rather than planning. Kids seem to steal more because kids have many more opportunities. In businesses most missing inventory is from employees, again this is simply because employees have more opportunities to steal. As a member of the ACFE, I often caution people against assuming that anyone isn't stealing... How many people do you suppose were sure that Rita Crundwell wouldn't steal?

• Denita
    3 years ago

OP, those are two different fees. The Realtor fee(s) are specified in your listing agreement if you have signed one. I never have personally seen "design fees" in a listing agreement, but it's possible that one is in your agreement. Industry practice is that the listing agreement is for sales and marketing fees. Check your agreement. If you don't have a signed written agreement with the Realtor, I would find that very odd for her to work with you without an agreement at all.

As to the security cameras being a legal issue - that's a stretch. Many of the Realtor Associations have come up with a standard form for the listing and showing agents to use when the house has security cameras since security cameras are so common now. It's so common in my area that the default assumption when showing is that there are cameras in use even if you don't see any.

• shars55
    3 years ago

Bry11....in our state of Calif., cameras are perfectly legal as long as you disclose the fact that they’re there. It is still MY home, and if someone doesn’t like being recorded, there has to be a reason. I really don’t care if they like the cameras or not. I saw some things that realtors did in my house that we’re NOT professional. I wouldn’t sell a house without them now.

• bry911
    3 years ago

As to the security cameras being a legal issue - that's a stretch. Many of the Realtor Associations have come up with a standard form for the listing and showing agents to use when the house has security cameras since security cameras are so common now. It's so common in my area that the default assumption when showing is that there are cameras in use even if you don't see any.

Be careful assuming what is true in one state is true in another state. For example, from the National Association of Realtors report of surveillance cameras... In Florida a person may have a security system when a written notice is conspicuously posted on the premises stating that a video surveillance system has been installed for the purpose of security of the premises, or have a video surveillance device that is installed in such a manner that the presence of the device is clearly and immediately obvious.

So I would be hesitant to assume that a blurb in a listing form satisfies conspicuous notice requirement and we should also note that in Florida if you are over 19, an unlawful recording is a 3rd degree felony.

The above is just for video. Many states have an all parties consent statute for recording oral communications where there is a reasonable expectation of privacy.

-----------

Personally, I don't like looking at houses that record my viewing of their home, I would prefer the seller's realtor search me before I leave than have the conversations I have with my wife, partner, or contractor about the property. I don't think the sellers have a right to listen and possibly act on the conversations I have about buying their home. Those conversations are a way to inform other parties on my side of the transaction about my concerns and hear their input, allowing those conversations to then be analyzed by the seller, simply takes away some of my negotiating advantage.

Suppose there is a conversation between spouses where one says they are willing to pay full price and the other says the home has been on the market a while and so they should begin negotiations with a discounted offer first... That is information a seller has no reasonable right to have.

------

It is still MY home, and if someone doesn’t like being recorded, there has to be a reason.

Of course there has to be a reason, but that reason doesn't have to mean ill actions or ill intent. Selling houses is about making people feel at home in your space and people are often uncomfortable being completely relaxed in front of cameras. Cameras have an obvious upside, but also a hidden downside.

I really don’t care if they like the cameras or not. I saw some things that realtors did in my house that we’re NOT professional.

So how did that knowledge benefit you? Were you able to recover damages? In the end, what was the financial advantage provided to you by a camera in a financial transaction?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    3 years ago

I remember Opaone asked about security cameras before selling his huge home/mansion last year. I am wondering what his choice was.

• littlebug zone 5 Missouri
    3 years ago

Begging your pardon, tiny spider, but there have been so many twists and turns in this thread with new and incriminating information parceled out that I’m beginning to wonder if this is a legitimate post.

Or you are naive and are being slowly robbed blind by someone(s).

• jrb451
    3 years ago

Yes littlebug, its definitely grown curiouser and curiouser.

• SapphireStitch
    3 years ago

@littlebug zone 5 Missouri Perhaps someone is crowdsourcing material for a novel during their pandemic shutdown time?

• c t
    3 years ago

I'm with littlebug. High end house, $20000 wine collection, Turkish carpets, eight boxes of designer clothing, running off to pick out slabs...but hubby does his own masonry, and no security system?

High end house like that nets what, a 10% commission? Not worth a few bottles of wine and her reputation.

I smell a troll.

• bry911
    3 years ago

High end house, $20000 wine collection, Turkish carpets, eight boxes of designer clothing, running off to pick out slabs...but hubby does his own masonry, and no security system?

Just to be clear, I have some nice hand knotted carpets, a closet full of Zegna from suits and ties to sweaters, I am a little light on my wine collection, but I do have a fairly extensive art collection, much of which is in storage at any one time. I own several masonry trowels and do some of my own masonry work, in fact, I do much of the maintenance on several rental properties. I am also a proficient woodworker.

My security system wouldn't prevent this. Security systems in homes are designed to prevent catastrophic losses by discouraging amateur thieves. They are not designed to prevent thefts by people who already have access to a home. I do have cameras near a few entrances, but my main security system is of the K-9 variety. I have lived in several homes with no alarms at all...

High end house like that nets what, a 10% commission? Not worth a few bottles of wine and her reputation.

I am a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners and I occasionally work with small businesses to prevent or detect embezzlement schemes. Consequences have never been a successful deterrent. Most asset misappropriations come from people with a lot to loose and they are usually stealing things with little gain... 55% of business thefts come from managers and executives and they typically steal 5 times more than employees.

While I understand that those are business thefts rather than personal thefts, the recipe is the same when you are talking about trusted party thefts. I know of dozens of executives making six figures who got fired for padding their expense accounts by a couple of thousand dollars. I saw one guy get fired for using the company credit card to buy his daughter a laptop when his nearly vested stock options were 300 times the cost of the laptop.

I am not saying you are wrong about the trolling thing... I am saying that my experience with trusted party thefts and their prevention is different than yours.

----------

ETA: If I were in the same situation as the OP I would know it was the realtor and not my kids. I know this because my kids are currently living at home because of Covid-19 and when they polished off a bottle of Kinobi Kyoto the other night they calmly let me know that if I didn't want them drinking the good gin then I should buy more cheap gin. It was at that point that I hid the two bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 23... My kids would undoubtedly drink the wine, show me they drank it and then manage to somehow rationalize it as only fair...

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    3 years ago

I think it's the daughter, the boyfriend, and the realtor, and I suspect more items are missing. The chocolates incident baffles me, but then I was unaware that $200 chocolates existed!

OP good luck navigating this web.

• Kate
    3 years ago

What a dilemma! I’m betting on the daughter regards to the wine, since it sounds like she has a chip on her shoulder. Although your realtor sounds pretty sketch with regards to the clothing and chocolates. Please share your findings, or how you handled it. In the mean time, tape up that wine!

• ncrealestateguy
    3 years ago

Why is the Realtor taking your belongings to the thrift store on your behalf? And why not just call them to verify if your belongings arrived there or not? The fact that she ate your unopened designer chocolates tells me a lot about her right off the bat.

• tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

We bought the carpets in Turkey some years back. I never implied they were invaluable but they were certainly not inexpensive. Regarding the security cameras. We did buy a 3 pack of ring cameras at Costco and they are up and running. They are motion activated. If anyone walks by a camera a little chime sounds on our cell phones. Very convient. We are keeping them on when we do put our home on the market be because we have art and antiques in the garage. The realtor offered to take the boxes and I thought she was being helpful. My husband believes she kept the items for herself. I really don't care if she did or not but my husband gets worked up about all this. The only thing I care about is distancing ourselves gracefully from this woman. I also avoid the neighbors who sung her praises. My husband went to their house and asked that they return all the tools they have borrowed over the years. Apparently they acted really put out but promised to bring them over on Saturday. We are tired of the endless drama this woman has brought into our lives and are trying to regroup and find a good agent and get our house on the market.

• jewelisfabulous
    3 years ago

I highly recommend you take the art and antiques currently in the garage (plus any valuables in the house you'd be distraught to lose) to a conditioned storage unit.

• midcenturymodernlove
    3 years ago

Tiny, there are so many red flags here. She stole your chocolates without asking. She doesn't want security cameras (her reasons are nonsense), she insisted on taking your designer items to "donate" (yet they never arrived), And heck NO, unless your signed contract provided otherwise (which I can't imagine), she certainly may NOT charge you a consulting fee.

• tiny spider
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Yes, you are right. We are seeking another realtor.

• pudgeder
    3 years ago

Good plan! Please keep us posted and good luck on the sale of your home!

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Yes please keep us posted and with your new agent, stipulate that she is not allowed to show the house.

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

"... and with your new agent, stipulate that she is not allowed to show the house."

How is the house going to be shown to prospective buyers?

• SapphireStitch
    3 years ago

@Lindsey_CA You read that the same way I did at first. :) But I think cpartist is saying they should tell their new Realtor to not allow the current problematic Realtor to show the house to any of her clients.

• cpartist
    3 years ago

Yes I was saying not to allow the current realtor to show the house. The one who is stealing.

• homechef59
    3 years ago

Cpartist,

It's doubtful that the first, unsatisfactory realtor will be showing the home. It could happen. If it were my home, I would request that should she wish to show the house, the new realtor accompany her without saying anything and watch her closely. After all, we are not entirely certain that she has actually done anything wrong.

For that reason, I wouldn't advertise in the MLS that there is a lock box on the door. Rather, I would state in the agent's remarks, easy to show, call agent for access. This way the new agent will be able to screen for that person and control access. The agent could still put a lock box on the house, but the other realtors don't need to know that it is present unless they have a client. Or, the owner can insist as part of their listing agreement that the listing agent or their designee from their brokerage must be present for all showings.

I hate for them to make an worse enemy than is absolutely necessary. Can you imagine how awful this would be if she were innocent and the daughter or her significant other was the culprit?

• Lindsey_CA
    3 years ago

homechef59 said, "Can you imagine how awful this would be if she were innocent and the daughter or her significant other was the culprit?"

Apparently, from information upthread, the original realtor admitted to eating an entire box of chocolates valued at $200. Also, the OP said, "There were 8 boxes of designer clothing, purses and shoes not to mention some beautiful Christmas ornaments made from hand blown glass." The realtor offered to take the items to a charity to be dropped off but the charity never received them, so it is presumed that the realtor either kept the stuff for herself, or sold the stuff and kept the money.

The realtor may be innocent as far as the missing wine and Turkish rugs are concerned, but she is certainly not completely innocent.

• lhlin
    3 years ago

This is ridiculous...cut your losses, chalk it up to experience and use common sense!

#1. find another realtor - simply on the fact she took/ate something not hers, as a supposed "professional", if she doesn't know better than to do that, she don't know jack and she's not worth more than that.

#2**. You and your husband need to inventory and then remove the rest of the wine and anything else of value into storage or a bank deposit box that only you and your husband have access to. That eliminates any further losses.

#3. Now that the locks have been changed, don't give your keys out to your daughter or ANYONE else...why would you need to? But if someone needs access, and anything of value is missing afterward, you can narrow down the suspect pool and see if there's a klepto in the midst who just wants/needs to take things.

#4. Keep the security cameras, disclose their existence and use it as;

A: a selling feature and

B: the footage as evidence against/for any further issues of theft or negligence.

**Finally, remember I said inventory whatever of value you remove to safety...? If any of that goes missing...it's a 50/50 thing who's to blame. Sorry to be blunt, but there's (part) of that common sense I mentioned.

• JJ
    3 years ago

My money is on the daughter.