SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mountainjuls

How to fix-new home should have level entry, was framed for two steps!

mountainjuls
3 years ago

Hi all,

We are currently having a home built for our retired parents. It is an established well known builder in the area in the same planned development as sister and brother in law. We were able to customize some aspects with them to make it as close to an age in place home for them as possible. They are still quite active, but they are in their 70’s and this will be their last home. We were upfront with the builder about our desires and they helped us choose a lot that would help ensure a more level entry then others. We chose a single level floor plan, with the only steps inside the home being for the bonus room above the garage, which they will not use as it will be where my husband and I stay when we come visit. The plans normally called for 3-5 steps from garage to home, and then similar on front porch. We felt it was important to have level entry from garage to inside the home as that would be the primary way our parents would enter. The builder agreed to and charged us a fee to do extra grading and framing adjustments in order to have a level entry to garage with the stipulation of allowing one step if needed.

Now the problem arises, as the home is under framing and upon a visit to the site, there is space enough for two steps into the home from the garage. We contacted the builder and they have been very brusque. They would not give any info as to how this happened, not even an apology! They offered to give us the fee back and build a ramp in the garage or to pour another 6” of concrete on the garage floor to bring the level up to one step.

We will not accept the ramp issue as we feel that will only create new problems.

At this point, we don’t want to just trust the builders first suggestions as to fix this problem. They say that if they can give us one step from garage to home, that would fulfill our contract. We have pressed them for more info on how this happened because we don’t feel that they actually tried to give us a level entry. We also want to see what options can be thought of that could give us a level entry. I have tried researching online about pouring another 6” in the garage, to not much avail. Some issues I have come across is that they would need to reframe the garage door opening, the side exit garage door, address the issue for wood contact around the perimeter of the garage with raised concrete level, weight and stability issues for extra concrete, adhering new concrete to current concrete, tying in new driveway to raised garage level, not to mention reduced ceiling height.

At this point, I’m wondering what is the best way to proceed? Raise the garage 6” with concrete, tear our the garage floor and rebuild higher at the same level as home, reframe the the main living area lower to match the current garage? Some other fix that I don’t know about yet? Non options include leaving it at two steps, cancelling the contract and finding a different builder, and taking delays of more than a month or two.

Any help anyone can give on construction options would greatly be appreciated!

Thanks!

Comments (19)