SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_465047690

Basement flooring dilemma

K S
3 years ago

Our new home has a finished basement in need of a little update. It is an awesome space and we anticipate spending a lot of time in it ourselves was well as entertaining company, so it's worth the investment to do a bit of an overhaul to spruce it up. The carpet is quite worn, and we're considering replacing with laminate (wood look) because we love the appearance and also it's easier to clean up the inevitable spills from guests. However as it is a basement, I'd prefer the warmth and coziness of carpet, especially in the TV/play areas. But I want to unify the whole space with a single type of flooring.

Another part of the dilemma is deciding on a color palette. I am not keen to put a light carpet in there considering the potential spills and shoe-wearing guest traffic, but we're considering a dark/neutral tone (slate, graphite) on the wall (or at least half of the wall) in which case I'd not want the floors to also be dark. Lighter wood laminate on the other hand, I am not afraid of, and quite like the look of in general.

For what it's worth, we're also thinking of painting the bar and trim (either light or dark, to contrast the walls or floor).

Penny for your thoughts?

Comment (1)