SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mnsportsgeek

Buying a Home - Basement Fireplace & TV/Theater Dilemma

mnsportsgeek
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi everyone, We are buying our first home and love everything about it except we are having trouble with the floor plan in the basement. I've uploaded some photos for you guys to see along with a basic drawing. https://imgur.com/a/uZsO3

The issue I have is that the basement needs to be the TV room. If I put all my AV equipment upstairs it will look horrible next to the dining room and kitchen. That said, the basement is my only choice. The home has 2 fireplaces, one in the living room upstairs and one in the living room downstairs. So we are thinking about turning one of them into a permanent unused fireplace with LED candles or something. We have seen a few ideas we like online. Not sure which one we want to do that to though. The other would be converted to a gas or electric because we don't want a wood burning fireplace. As you can probably tell by my username, it gets cold in Minnesota and the heating vents in the basement are on the ceiling so we're thinking that it might get a little chilly in the basement in the winter.

All that considered, I need to figure out a nice way to assemble my TV entertainment area in the basement without making it look terrible. The furniture I'd like to bring with me to put down there is a 3 person sofa and 2 person love seat. In previous apartments I have created a 90 degree angle with them with a coffee table in the middle and the TV across from the 3 person sofa.

I have three ideas that I came up with so far:

1. 1. Put the TV adjacent to the sliding door. This allows for the sofa to go on the opposite wall but it also creates an issue in that a love seat next to it would block the walk way to the sliding door. I'd like to be able to fit more than 3-4 people in front of the TV. I'm not too concerned about glare because the sliding door is under a deck and the back yard has pretty good tree cover.
  2. Put the TV against the 16' wall. Part of the TV may end up covering part of the window in this instance. The sofa would then be floating and essentially create a hallway between the entry to the basement and the end of the sofa. The fireplace would then be off to the left of the sofa.
  3. Put the TV against the 13' wall. The sofa would then be floating in front of the fireplace and the love seat would be against the 16' wall. In this case, do you think there would be enough room behind the sofa to put a couple of chairs in front of the fireplace maybe with a small table? Would this look horrible putting the fireplace in the background of the entertainment center way out of focus? Are there any other ideas I am not thinking of? Do you guys have any opinions what would look good and what would look horrible?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Industry Leading General Contractors in Pickerington
More Discussions