SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bragu

since you have time on your hands ...

bragu_DSM 5
3 years ago

are any of you going the extra mile to put a good looking meal on a well set table?

I think of neeley's recent post on WFD ... and almost all of Martha's.

or, you just grab the goods and sit on the porch and watch the world [not] going by ...

Comments (28)

• plllog
    3 years ago

I don't know about the world, but the neighbors do walk by. They always did. There's running time and dog walking hour. Just now, they wear masks. But it's too hot in the Western sun, so if we're having dinner outside it's in the shade in back.

I have to have someone who will notice to bother setting a lovely table. We do that at my mother's house. But I do use nice dishes at home. Always. No point using ugly dishes. :)

• Marilyn Sue McClintock
    3 years ago

No, I do not set a lovely table. Sometimes I take my plate of food and sit on my front porch and watch whatever. I live alone in the woods.

Sue

• Related Discussions

ok..Time to see your Philodrendrons! Please, what do you have?

Q

Comments (73)
    I can use fresh soil, that's a good idea. And I'll top dress it a bit as well. Though, I think that once I unpot it , I'll probably want to do a full repot. Most times, I do a full repot and put into 511 mix, but this plant is so dear to me, I'd be heartbroken if I messed up the repot. If Al finds out that I am doing this half-cocked kind of planting, both of us will be in for a talking-to. See how I made it "us" instead of "me?" :)
    ...See More

Raise Your Hand if You Have a Tile Countertop

Q

Comments (27)
    Thanks everyone for your input. Ineffable, I think the other thing about Daltile is it isn't in a lot of showrooms (at least not around here). Not enough margin I suppose. The brand that had a color I liked, Pratt and Larson, does in fact have trim pieces. Scalpmetto, thanks for the grout tip. Thanks, LiveWireOak, but given the distance we are using a GC and will defer to his tile person. Eandhl, No, because I have it here in Connecticut. I was sure I wanted zinc, but it has a blue cast and is kind of cold. So I got pewter. I am very happy with it but I don't want to repeat it in my summer home, especially not for $400 sq foot. Vedazu, I will look at Sonoma too. All kidding aside, if i do wetbed (yours looks great), will I ruin the cabs if I want to take it out?
    ...See More

Have you ever billed your contractor for YOUR time (half-kidding)?

Q

Comments (17)
    I am having a similar situation with my contractor where he went out of town suddenly right after he demoed my kitchen and then I had to be home and schedule the rest of the work/trades. What should be expected when a contractor included a overhead/profit in their estimate/invoice, but the homeowner was the one who had to stay home and talk to the trades (including scheduling, staying home while people did demo, install, labor, etc.)? I am genuinely curious what this overhead/profit is supposed to cover when the other items on the invoice already included things like labor and materials separately. I know overhead is usually 1.5 of the contractor's cost, but that usually includes things like project management and design. In my case, a lot of the PM and design was on me and I had to miss a lot of work to be home for different people who came over. I also am tempted to bill my contractor for my time -- but, of course, I won't. I would probably just try to talk with him about what I was unhappy with and see if he gives a discount.
    ...See More

Ages at KT: been some time since we have done this

Q

Comments (89)
    I will turn 69 in a few months. I am trying not to look at the years ahead in terms of time left or at the time as passed. I was born in 1950 and never thought beyond the year 2000. So being older than 50 is hard to fathom. Being active in the moment and having full days is the goal. I came to the Kitchen Forum when we were remodeling the kitchen at the riverhouse in 2009. Found I enjoyed the company. I poked around the Garden Web and landed at KT. I admire all the people here.
    ...See More
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

There are days I try, and there are days when DH is lucky to get anything at all. Health & old age aren't always fun :-(

• annie1992
    3 years ago

Extra time? Wait while I think about that.

Here it's gardening season, and canning season. I'm cooking two separate meals for each meal because Mother won't eat anything Elery will eat and vice versa. I'm Township Clerk and the election stuff had me working 40 or 50 hours a week doing that, and it's already started for the November election. We just unloaded and stacked 2 tons of wood pellets for winter yesterday and after that we dug out a drainage ditch behind the house that was filling with vegetation. And, or course, cows and chickens don't care about COVID, only about fences and pasture and water. I'm on my way to the garden now to pick green beans, I've already canned 30 quarts of those.

A good looking meal? That's entirely secondary to having one that anyone in the house will eat. Elery won't eat potatoes or rice or bread or pasta but he loves beans. Mother loves potatoes and pasta and hates beans of all kinds and won't eat vegetables. Elery won't eat bread, Mother loves it. Elery likes salad, Mother says it should just be fed to the cows. Nope, I stopped worrying about what it looks like a couple of months ago!

Annie

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

Ouch Annie, that sounds exhausting.

The days seem to zip by. Up at 4-4.30. Prep/plan a few days meals. Check the garden. Harvest is kicking in. I don't can produce, but fermentations, condiments, spice rubs/blends, dressings, are always on the list. Fall crops go in this weekend.

I do appreciate a well dressed table and will accept invitations, 😜, but we are pretty much modernists/minimalists. Three table choices. Breakfast, deck, and big dining, all just steps from the kitchen. DH sets the table of choice while I scramble to plate. The only thing we insist on are very hot plates/bowls, washable linen placemats (oversized nice napkins) and washable cotton napkins. Separate serving bowls and multiple courses are way too much trouble and too much to wash. Even with a dishwasher. I plate in the kitchen and often a heap. Sometimes a separate salad we split. The plate between us on the table.

I've not lit a candle since NewYears. Cooler temps are here. 68º this morning so maybe Fall Saturday/Sunday meals will see some nice relaxed dining. An appetizer, a first and second course....and a candle.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

Haha - my table is covered with stuff from work - so, no.

• sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
    3 years ago

😂 haha. I have so many projects on my big enormous dining table....but we have one end cleared. Just enough. I could serve three, but not the usual 12.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked sleevendog (5a NY 6aNYC NL CA)
  • Lars
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I've been retired for a little over a year now, and so I've had plenty of time to make the table look nice for our meals, and lately I have been cooking two meals a day, since my brother is working from home, and I make lunch for both of us as well as dinner. We always eat at the dining table, but it's not extremely fancy, although we do use crystal wine glasses. I might start using some of the sterling silver, since we have it, but it has to be hand-washed.

I visited Annie last summer and all the meals I had with her were lovely. However, her mother was not there for any of the meals. We spent about a week with her but gave her a break in the middle when we drove up to St. Ignace and Sault Ste. Marie. We went to Mackinac Island while in St. Ignace and had a great time. Annie was very gracious about feeding us, including making breakfast every morning, and putting us up for as long as she did! She made us feel very welcome, and Kevin and I enjoyed visiting with her and Elery.

We also met Naturegirl! But unfortunately, no one else from Michigan showed up. I would have liked to have met Sol, but I don't know where in Michigan she is.

• KatieC
    3 years ago

At our house you fill your plate and eat wherever you want. When the kids are here we do set the table, but nothing fancy.

This week I had a little surgery so I'm parked in my recliner and can't lift more than a coffee mug for a couple of weeks. He's in charge of the garden and feeding me. I'm a little scared, lol.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked KatieC
  • ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

Katie, my turn for that tomorrow. No idea how long I'll be out of commission. Thank goodness the freezer is packed with lots of leftovers!

• yeonassky
    3 years ago

I do not set the table. I am often eating alone as DH has long long hours at work still. I stand and eat and watch a show. Or outside on the front balcony when my p*tsmoking neighbours aren't out there. I have nothing against it but my migraines seem to dislike it immensely.

I do eat with my favourite coloured glass dishes and silver plate silverware every day at every meal just about.

I do set a table for holidays. I have not been ironing my tablecloths but I think I will start that again as when I took a picture I didn't like the way it looked.

Annie will both your mom and Elery eat eggs? Are most of Elery's requirements dietary? I'm just curious because eggs and plain steamed veggies are all I can pretty much eat at a restaurant so breakfast is the best meal for me to go out and eat.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked yeonassky
  • plllog
    3 years ago

Meeting tonight. Bread baking ran over into it, too. Dinner was no dishes at all. A morsel grabbed out of the fridge, swallowed before the Zoom video. Ugh. I want the tablecloth and dishes!

• CA Kate z9
    3 years ago

EIther at the kitchen table or on a tray watching TV. I do try to make my meal look nice because it seems more appetizing. The dining room table always has a jigsaw puzzle spread across it so that's a no-go at anytime.

• annie1992
    3 years ago

yeonnasky, Elery will eat eggs, mostly scrambled, but Mother will only eat deviled eggs, and only sometimes. She used to eat an occasional omelette, but if there was one speck of brown on that egg, into the trash it went, LOL. Now she just won't eat them at all. She used to like quiche too, but now won't eat that either. It's unfortunate too, because I just replaced my laying flock and I got 18 eggs today. The B&B across the street usually buys all I can provide, which is why I got new pullets, but now they can't have any customers, so they don't need all the eggs.

She is very specific about what she will eat. She will occasionally eat a piece of toast but it has to be white bread, only Soft N Good brand, toasted lightly, only KerryGold butter and the crust must be cut off. She likes a cup of yogurt for breakfast but it must be Oikos, must be full fat, must be the Greek style and only raspberry. She will eat KFC but only original recipe and only the thigh. No vegetables and the only fruit she will eat is watermelon and canned mandarin oranges.

And that's why she weighs 85 pounds. I "sneak" calories to her via her favorite coffee drink which contains white chocolate, raspberry syrup, coffee, whole milk and whipped cream.

Lars, I greatly enjoyed your stay here. I'll always remember sitting at the kitchen counter and talking until the small hours of the morning. At least we got breakfast, we spent so much time driving around during the day that there wasn't much time to cook, except that day naturegirl came to visit!

Annie

bragu_DSM 5 thanked annie1992
  • yeonassky
    3 years ago

Thank you Annie for answering my question. What a difficult thing it is when someone's appetite isn't the best. I admire your ability to manage that difficult situation. I I have enough trouble with my own special diet!

bragu_DSM 5 thanked yeonassky
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@ Annie - my mom also had a lot of excuses not to eat, and left to her own devices almost starved herself.

1 thing I've found that has helped her get stronger and put on weight is collagen powder. I add a scoop to her cereal in the morning. It's clear and tasteless and dissolves into liquids and provides extra protein. Trader Joe's has a good brand for a good price.

Her Dr. also started her on a tiny dose of mirtazapine, which can help increase appetite, and seems to be working. Last time she was weighed, she'd put on 8 pounds!

She also started eating ice cream for a snack every day - she only allows herself 1 scoop though.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

Thanks, Carol, I'll look for the collagen powder. I tried Ensure type drinks and I tried making shakes with ice cream, but neither of those are acceptable. You think I could mix the collagen in her coffee drink?

Annie

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    3 years ago

I'll bet you can - it's tasteless and dissolves quickly into whole milk.

This is what they have at Trader Joe's:

Earlier in the pandemic, when I ran out, I bought some directly from their website, but TJ's has a better price.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

Thanks, Carol, I'll try that. Heck, at this point I'll try nearly anything!

Annie

• Jasdip
    3 years ago

My heart goes out to you Annie. I just can't imagine.

Set a nice table? Nope. It seems that flat surfaces are my bane. They attract paper (recipes, notes, ideas of menus for the week) as well as peaches ripening, the current book I'm reading, and just a catch-all.

One end cleared for moi.

I watch tv only on weekends, that's my treat......to stream whatever show is my current fad. Right now it's The Umbrella Academy. So on weekends I set up my little wooden tv table with my plate and a glass of wine.

• sarahsocal
    3 years ago

Honestly I would love to set our dining table and eat in a bit more style. But the dining room has been repurposed as our office/conference room/work sprace. I am worried that I am actually going to wear out my dining chairs! (We do rotate them regularly).

So that leave the kitchen island or in front of the TV for us.

• shambo
    3 years ago

Annie, my daughter-in-law bought me a product similar to what Carol posted about. It really does dissolve instantly in liquids or saucy-type foods. I was having a bout of vertigo that included nausea and vomiting, so she brought some over for me to use in clear broths once I could get them down.

I was a bit skeptical but it really dissolved nicely. It helped me get through that day. I could sip the broth yet knew I was getting some protein to supplement it.

With all the flavorful stuff you put in your mom’s coffee drink, I don’t think she’d notice the addition unless she happened upon you just as you were spooning it into her drink.

• ediej1209 AL Zn 7
    3 years ago

Annie, also, I saw something this morning about collagen supplements that said you can even mix it in yogurt, so that might be another option.

• lindac92
    3 years ago

My son came for 2 days last week to help me with the derecho aftermath....and that has been the only time I have had anyone to set a table for. I have eaten an informal bite on a friend's patio a couple of times....but since mid March it's just been me....and I just grab my plate and sit where ever i can.

But I used to set a table, always when there was someone to eat with, unless I had a friend over to watch a movie with cocktails and "crap on your lap" and call it dinner.
    crap on your lap is often a baguette of warm bread, various cheeses, crudites de jour, perhaps shrimp, maybe crackers or pretzels, hummos, smoked salmon, avocado with lime....etc etc.

bragu_DSM 5 thanked lindac92
  • annie1992
    3 years ago

Thanks, Shambo and Edie, I'm going to give it a try. She doesn't even watch me making her coffee any more. By the time I add warm milk, raspberry syrup, white chocolate sauce, the coffee and a dollop of whipped cream, she doesn't even know WHAT I'm putting in there, LOL.

Sarah, half of my dining room table was full of election "stuff" like ballot envelopes, various forms, the PPEs for election workers. I had to clean it off as we had Elery's youngest son and his family for brunch yesterday. I stuck it all in Mother's bedroom and then had to bring it all back out so she has a place to sleep. At least now it's in boxes...

Annie

bragu_DSM 5 thanked annie1992
  • sheilajoyce_gw
    3 years ago

I remember cooking when the kids were young, and I tried to make a meal that everyone could eat. So no poultry or broth, no milk or milk products, no peanuts. It was a challenge, but for Thanksgiving, which I host for my family and sister and BIL, we just grilled DD a filet mignon. She was happy.

• User
    3 years ago

I can pretty well be counted on to set two beautifully plated meals on the table for husband and I. Since my house is pared down to not a lot of junk, the table is always clear, clean and spacious.

I have always thought that it adds to a meal if it is beautiful when you greet it at the table. It does not have to be fancy. Simple can be very beautiful. Usually I serve plated.

At times I will set a rather rustic table, but still with a beautiful meal still hot in the iron skillet and maybe some fresh vegetable prepared and put into canning jars that go directly on the table. The leftovers just need a lid on the jar and into the fridge. Keep it simple and beautiful.

First you eat with your eyes.

I enjoy preparing our dinner.