SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dotsandstripes123

Have you ever billed your contractor for YOUR time (half-kidding)?

My contractor has finished our home and, per our agreement, there is a final payment remaining once all the punch list items are completed. Not surprisingly, he has moved on to new projects and we are not his top priority anymore. However, I would like to get the punch list items wrapped up. Overall, we are happy with the way our home was built but our biggest complaint with him has always been that he doesn't have someone on staff for project management. He rarely takes notes of the things he promises to do and frequently forgets about them. Because this drives me crazy I took the time to create a spreadsheet documenting all the issues with photos and space for action plans. A few of the items require calls to vendors and suppliers. In frustration and in an effort to get things moving, I have started to make the calls. However, my time is worth something too and I have started to track the time I spend doing what I feel should be his job. Has anyone successfully presented an invoice of your time and deducted it from the final payment to the contractor?

Comments (17)