SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

Ida, i met your car-parking neighbors

bpath
3 years ago

Or their relatives.

I'm at my parents' house boxing things up. I look out a window, and my husband's canoe which earlier was one of two on a rack, is nowhere to be seen. I go outside, and there it is in the middle of the (small) lake with a guy and two little boys in it, fishing.

I call out, asking who they are.

"Oh, your neighbor said they told you, we'd asked if we could go fishing and they said we could use their canoe."

Yeah, they messaged me (this morning) that you'd asked them if you could go fishing, and that you had said the other homeowner on the lake had said it was okay, but my neighbor doesn't have lake frontage and so can't grant access, and anyway that one isn't their canoe. They didn't tell me you wanted to come on our property to get to the lake, not via the other homeowner's property, and not that you wanted to use a canoe. They told me they'd given you my contact information, but I didn't have yours. And, again, that one isn't their canoe.

The guy doesn't live in our village, but they do live just about a mile away.

Seriously, my car was in the driveway that they could see from the canoe rack. He couldn't knock on the door? He had my contact info, couldn't use it?

Oh, and the two little kids, about 6 and 7? No life preservers. It's not a deep lake, but it's the law.

Not to mention, the guy's a doctor, you'd think he'd be all about liability and safety. He had no idea what condition that canoe might be in.

We were all real civil and such, and I helped him put the canoe back on the rack when he was having a lot of trouble. Those little boys would not have been able to help, and one or the other of the canoes would have been damaged.

In summary, he asked permission from someone who couldn’t grant it and didn’t, but who gave them my contact info. He took the wrong canoe. He didn’t have life preservers on the children. Basically, trespassed, stole, and endangered children.

Gee whillikers!

DH reminds me, that neither canoe belongs to the neighbor, one belongs to a relative of ours, although we have all allowed the neighbor to take the canoes out.

What would you do?

Comments (19)