SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

August 2020, Week 3

Here we are already at the midpoint of August and starting Week 3. This is the week the weather is supposed to turn back cooler for almost all the state if not all of it, and rain might finally reach some of the southern areas that haven't had rain the last couple of weeks.

As always with August, it is the same old maintenance chores mostly taking center stage now: mowing, edging, pruning wayward tree or shrub growth that protrudes out into a pathway or some other spot where it is in the way, deadheading blooming plants as needed, watering, mulching, weeding if you wish (or avoiding weeding if it is too hot, too humid or too snakey), harvesting and tending to existing edible plants and either starting seeds or planting transplants of plants into the fall garden. If you don't have your garlic for fall planting, now is a good time to order some before it sells out. If you haven't already got your fall brassicas (brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, etc.) growing, now is a good time to get started on them. While you can get away with planting them a bit late, it always is better to get them planted and established in case we have an early first freeze like we did last October.

If grass and lawns are your thing (we all know they aren't mine), now is a good time to fertilize Bermuda grass lawns one last time before winter (as if it really needs any help growing but I'm just mentioning what lawn-lovers do to keep their Bermuda lawns green and dense). If you abhor having winter weeds sprout in your lawn and if you want to prevent annual bluegrass (poa annua) from sprouting in your lawn this winter, now is the time to purchase the pre-emergent herbicide you'll need to put out soon to prevent that. Purchase what you need now before it sells out.

It is a bit too early yet to add fresh autumn annuals to pots or bedding plant areas for fall color, but those plants will hit the stores in some areas beginning in September and in the more southern areas beginning in late September or in October. September is closer than it sounds.

Neil Sperry's free weekly e-newsletter had an article this week (neilsperry.com to subscribe and it arrives in your mailbox weekly on Thursday nights) on using white foliage and white flowers to bring a cooling accent to the late summer garden, and the article was totally enchanting as were the photos. I already was planning a white-oriented moon garden to grow beside the deck we'll start building as soon as the heat breaks, and his words and photos inspired me to be sure the moon garden plans remain an important part of our new backyard landscape. Everything Neil Sperry says for Texas Gardening applies equally well to Oklahoma---we just sometimes have to adjust some things like planting dates a bit to account for us being a bit further north. I'll be reading Neil's words and following his advice since around 1977, 78 or 79 when he became the Texas A&M Ag Extension agent for Tarrant County when I was either in high school or college. We all need a wise horticulturalist to guide us and keep us on track, and for that, Neil Sperry is the man. I keep his latest book on my coffee table so it is always there when I need to check something or just to be inspired by the beauty in his many photos. I always check his monthly calendars of gardening chores to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (especially as I get older and the memory fades a bit).

Be sure to check in and let us know what is going on in your gardens. My big news flash? Ummmm. I saw one blister beetle in the garden yesterday when I was watering containers. Since it was the only one, I left it alone. I might feel differently if I'd seen a dozen or two of them all together in one place. I'd rather let them be if possible so that their larvae will eat grasshopper eggs but I also don't want to let too many overrun the garden, so I'll keep an eye out for more of them. A new swarm of big grasshoppers flew in this week, around Thursday, and they are happily eating all the foliage on my 5 hardy hibiscus plants. I'm trying to ignore them because they don't last long this summer---the songbirds must be eating them.

Have a great week everyone. I'm looking forward to the cooler weather, which isn't due here, I guess, until tonight or tomorrow. I'll be bitterly disappointed if it stalls out and doesn't make it this far south. Last evening the swimming pool water was really too warm to be very enjoyable---101 degrees just after dinner, and that is for a pool that is mostly in the shade so that it doesn't get too hot and the grandkids don't get too sunburned. I cannot imagine how hot the water would have been if the pool was in full sun all day long.

Stay hydrated!!

Dawn

Comments (51)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!