SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
okiedawn1

July 2020, Week 5....and Hello, August

Today we start the final week of July and see our first glimpse of August at the end of the week.

What's happening in your yard and garden this week?

Here at our place it is just hot and dry, hot and dry, hot and dry. Our last real rainfall was July 2nd, and that moisture is pretty much long gone by this point.

I continue watering the new plantings and the containers by hand, and we continue harvesting veggies. The flowers are in good shape, all things considered, and the zinnias and cosmos are putting on a good show of flowers while remaining pretty healthy. With no rain falling, the zinnias haven't had any disease issues, so at least there's that. I let all the volunteer flowers that popped up in the pathways stay there this year, so the pathways are filled with zinnias, cosmos and salvia plants that are doing pretty well considering they are growing in about 3" of mulch on top of landscape fabric. Every now and then I pull one or two of them out to keep enough of a pathway open in the path that I actually can walk without stepping on plants, and so far they are just growing in the mulch---none of them have put roots down through the landscape fabric. It is surprising how well they are growing despite having shallow roots.

Almost the host plants for the swallowtails are in bloom now, with the fennel and dill plants all blooming, and some of the parsley. Only one parsley plant is not blooming, and it was the last one that I planted. A few daylilies have their last scapes of blooms now, having bloomed later into the summer than usual, and I haven't even done all that good of a job of deadheading them.

Pests still are pretty scarce here. I have seen robber flies sitting on plants waiting for prey to come along, which is unusual. I hope we have enough to keep them fed. I'm still not seeing any squash pests or cucumber beetles (not that I am complaining), no leaf-footed bugs, no aphids and not many stink bugs at all. There's a few grasshoppers, but not many, and a lot of young crickets, but more so out in the grass than in the garden, which is the opposite of how it usually goes. There are lots and lots of song birds so undoubtedly they are helping control pests as the birds often are in the garden. The longer my garden goes without having pesticides sprayed in it, the better it gets. Sometimes it is hard to trust the process, but trusting the beneficial insects to take care of the bad guys does pay off.

The garden is getting sort of weedy, but I have to be really careful about weeding in this heat because of the risk of timber rattlers coming out of the woodland adjacent to the garden, so I'm mostly ignoring the weeds unless they are on the edges of the beds along the lumber framing of the beds and I can see clearly there's no snakes lurking beneath those. In cases like that I do yank out the weeds here and there.

We aren't having to mow the lawn because it isn't growing after going most of this month with no rainfall.

Some of you have a fair to middling chance of rainfall this week. If so, I hope you get it!

Have a good week everyone, and check in here and tell us how your plants are doing.

August arrives on Saturday, and the good thing about that is that it means Autumn and better weather is getting closer every day.

Dawn

Comments (44)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting