SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

3 Weeks Earlier than Normal Bloom, what will be left in August?

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 17:28

Everyone - I've noticed something odd. Plants I normally would expect to bloom in July - August are already in full bloom now (and blooming all at once). I do wonder what my garden will offer in late July and August then. What have you observed in your gardens

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6a/MA (My Page) on Tue, Jul 3, 12 at 18:58

ianna, I was just thinking of posting a thread on that topic, as I have Perovskia in full bloom already and it's only the beginning of July. The bloom is not going to last until August even and although it still looks great after bloom, I was wondering the same thing. I have Echinacea blooming it's head off and that doesn't usually last all summer even with deadheading. Butterfly Bush is just starting to bloom and I think that will bloom right up until frost. I am considering offering another round of fertilizer which I don't normally do. Heliopsis is new to me, so I'm not sure what to expect from that. I do have Chrysanthemums and have been tip pruning them. I am still going by the advice to stop tip pruning by July 4th, so maybe that will keep me on time with the bloom of Mums? I have roses and wondering if I will get another flush of bloom on those. It will be a learning year, I guess. But for right now, I am happier with my sunny beds than I have been for a few years.

RE: My meadow garden, but could be cottage flowers

Posted by ianna Z5b (My Page) on Thu, Jul 5, 12 at 13:15

prairiemoon, you should start a new thread. We are coming into a new type of climate and it would help to know what to expect.

Ianna

Comments (35)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting